Zone Alarm is a joke.

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:47

Comodo firewall is super annoying. I picked up Panda Cloud AV Pro just now, could've probably stuck with MSE though.

#17 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:09

It takes Getting used to and with many different modes. Cant go wrong with custom mode though

#18 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:25

Honestly, what is the need for a client side software firewall when you already have a decent AV application? It would only serve to cause annoyance to the user and add overhead to the networking stack with very little benefit.

Especially with the idiotic "Do you want to allow xyz.exe to access the internet?" as if the vast majority if users are going to be able to accurately ascertain the validity of the program requesting access. It becomes an impediment to their daily routine and ends up asking this question so often that they user resorts to constantly clicking allow to get it out of their way.

Unless you are siting naked on the web, which few users are since most have a gateway in the middle, I can't see the benefit.

#19 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:32

Why would anybody need a third party firewall when Windows 7's one (even Vista's) can also be set to monitor outgoing connections?

#20 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:57

Why would anybody need a third party firewall when Windows 7's one (even Vista's) can also be set to monitor outgoing connections?

This. And these are the days of multiple computers behind routers, which would prevent most direct connections to computers that were a problem in the past decade with PCs directly connected to the DSL/cable modem. Besides, the Windows Firewall since Vista sets settings based on your network type.

#21 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:09

I remember back in the day having to fix a ton of internet issues caused by folk installing ZoneAlarm. Crazy thing blocked everything even when uninstalled sometimes.

#22 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:25

Just use MSE, it does a great job, ZoneAlarm has been garbage for quite a while

When MSE gained the code of Giant Anti-Spyware, ZA's days were numbered - I remember using it as an alternative to the even porkier Norton Internet Security (pre-Norton 360).

Between Norton 360's launch, NIS cleaning up their act, and the steady improvements in MSE (and the inclusion as Windows Defender in Windows 8), most users need ZA (any version) *why*?

#23 MtnDewCodeRedFreak

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

Since May 2001

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:59

Lol at this thread. I remember installing a trial version of ZoneAlarm on Win 98SE a long time ago. The nagging was horrible, so I uninstalled it.

Looking back, I'd pick Vista and 7's UAC over ZoneAlarm!

#24 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:16

I have windows firewall enabled but that doesn't allow you to block applications from calling home (as far as i'm aware) so i have zonealarm too. I use avast antivirus as MSE is awful, it misses so many viruses, can't remove viruses and has loads of false detections, can't believe others don't hate MSE too.

I may try a different firewall app soon though.

#25 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:32

ZoneAlarm is a joke? Bro, 2001 called; they want their obvious truth back.

#26 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:16

I have windows firewall enabled but that doesn't allow you to block applications from calling home (as far as i'm aware)

Windows 7/Vista firewall have this functionality. Just type Windows Firewall with Advanced Security in the start menu. From this page make a new outbound rule (Right Pane) and simply choose to block the executable of your choice.

#27 Djarcane85

Djarcane85

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:27

It used to be called the top firewall... Then they moved into antivirus as well and just kept going down hill... though they have always been a huge system hog :(

#28 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:47

Hello,

A software-based application firewall can be useful for screening a notebook computer from attacks when it is connected to an untrusted network, such as a public Wi-Fi hotspot. Same with on a shared private network (dorm, home, etc.).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#29 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:55

ZoneAlarm is a joke? Bro, 2001 called; they want their obvious truth back.

I saw Hawk say the same thing but I think it's one of his famous "Java is good" kinda joke again. :rolleyes:

#30 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:13

I saw Hawk say the same thing but I think it's one of his famous "Java is good" kinda joke again. :rolleyes:

Java is good ZA is not, never was. But then I stopped taking you serious about anything that has to do with code and such anyway since you obviously don't know what you're talking about. and still don't have any arguments beyond "it's bad".

Even back when XP didn't have a decent firewall, there was far better free alternatives, like Tiny.