My screen keeps on going black while playing games?

My computer screen keeps on going black when I play games, not all the times but frequently, I can still hear the sound loop but I'm forced to restart my PC.

My gpu is GeForce 9660 GT with 2 GB ram Wins 7 64-bit, 4 GB ram

CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 6

I have thought that it might be overheating but sometimes the screen goes black the instant I start a match in like league of legends, thus can't really be overheating if I just started a game? but then I tried this program and here's what it gave me: http://i46.tinypic.com/2ez4bva.png

I have never overclocked so I'm confused and hope any of you knows the problem that I'm having. Thanks. :)

Need more information then what you have stated. What version are your video card drivers? You stated the sound loops, does this mean it becomes stuck in a constant loop and ctrl alt delete does nothing? I would have to guess it is a driver issue, have you checked your event viewer to see if anything was captured about the video card driver?

Need more information then what you have stated. What version are your video card drivers? You stated the sound loops, does this mean it becomes stuck in a constant loop and ctrl alt delete does nothing? I would have to guess it is a driver issue, have you checked your event viewer to see if anything was captured about the video card driver?

Sorry for the late response,

Yes the sound loops, becomes stuck, thought sometimes it doesn't and no ctrl alt delete won't do anything. After the screen goes black the monitor goes to sleep by itself and I'm forced to shut down the pc.

My driver version is 306.97 it's the lattest if I'm correct. No I haven't checked it.

I had something like this happen to me a while back and it turned out to be the card do you have a spare or could you borrow one to test?

Sadly I do not have a spare and I'm not so sure if I can borrow one.

Try furmark first so you can rule out the drivers.

mm alright, I'll try it

Edit: I ran the burn in test, max temperature went to 70c, no crashing, and I know that while playing it doesnt reach that high.

So what could it be if it's not a overheating problem?

mm alright, I'll try it

Edit: I ran the burn in test, max temperature went to 70c, no crashing, and I know that while playing it doesnt reach that high.

So what could it be if it's not a overheating problem?

If it doesn't crash with furmark (try running it more than once though, it could just be luck that it didn't crash) it's less likely that the GPU is the problem but it could still be an hardware issue. Try downgrading the video drivers and see if anything changes. Also, does it happen on all games or just League of Legends?

If it doesn't crash with furmark (try running it more than once though, it could just be luck that it didn't crash) it's less likely that the GPU is the problem but it could still be an hardware issue. Try downgrading the video drivers and see if anything changes. Also, does it happen on all games or just League of Legends?

I would say all games that would use a big amount of power? Like I can play mini games or small games with no problem but once it gets up to like league of legends or games that uses more power it crashes.

Recently until now I had the previous video drivers. Still crashed with the previous one.

I'll run furmark 2 more times and see what happens.

What does it actually do?

Tests the memory?

It tests your ram. It's always a good idea to check your ram every so often if you're experiencing crashes or freezes.

Burn the iso to a cd, then select it as the boot device. From there it will check your ram. It might take some time though. It's also usually included in Linux live cd's if you have any lying around.

It tests your ram. It's always a good idea to check your ram every so often if you're experiencing crashes or freezes.

Burn the iso to a cd, then select it as the boot device. From there it will check your ram. It might take some time though. It's also usually included in Linux live cd's if you have any lying around.

Alright thx, I'll try it when I'll have time.

It could be that it is your PSU failing or your motherboard having issues but it's better if you first try putting your CPU and GPU under stress to verify that is still not an issue caused by drivers. Try running prime95 on all cores and furmark at the same time and see the monitor turns off again. Also disable the automatic reboot after a BSOD and use the reliability monitor to see how the crashes are identified (windows not shut down properly or windows encountered an error).

It could be that it is your PSU failing or your motherboard having issues but it's better if you first try putting your CPU and GPU under stress to verify that is still not an issue caused by drivers. Try running prime95 on all cores and furmark at the same time and see the monitor turns off again. Also disable the automatic reboot after a BSOD and use the reliability monitor to see how the crashes are identified (windows not shut down properly or windows encountered an error).

I'll try running both at same time , as for the crashes, pc starts up by saying Windows not shut down properly

i dont know why no one has mentioned it before, but it sounds like the graphics drivers are crashing, the screen going blank or into a power saving/standby mode is usually a sign that the drivers have crashed and are recovering.

update your drivers for your graphics card and see if it fix's the problem, go to the Nvidia site and download the drivers for your card and version of windows.