What was the last game that genuinely surprised you in some way, and why?

This is a REALLY tough question and agree with the OP that this will be an interesting journey.

When I look at the title, I find it hard to think of a Game that genuinely surprised me in some way.

If I was pushed I suppose I'd have to say Counterstrike:Source, Zombie Mod. I didn't expect it to be as big a hit with me as I was always a Quake fan. However, I tried CSS and was hooked, then GunGame and Zombie Mods were out and I was doubly-hooked.

In terms of a genuine surprise in-game, I'm going with Modern Warefare 2....I was shocked at how easy it was and quick it was to complete given the premium they charged.

Jesus, not exactly the most riveting response is it :/

Sleeping dogs on the pc. I never heard of this game until it was realised, and was surprised to see how great the lighting was in the game and how smotth everything felt. Ohh and the fighting mechanic seemed really well done, better the GTA imho.

Same here. Running through the markets at the beginning and him bumping past everyone parkour style.

Finished it yesterday and what a brilliant game.

Probably the last game that surprised me was Red Dead Redemption. The first time i really knew about it was a couple of weeks before release and i was just blown away by how amazing the experience was. That was probably one of the best game worlds i've played in and they did a really good job of getting the Old West feeling right. They did such a good job with the world that i played it till 100% completion and still wasn't bored of it at the end. The story was well done too and i actually cared about the characters unlike in GTA IV. In my opinion, it's one of the best games this generation.

Other great games that seem to have gone under my radar are Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs but i have yet to play them.