CR2 (Canon RAW photo) Repair? (NOT recovery, I need to fix the files)

Heya guys,

someone please do some namedropping for a couple of softwares that can fix corrupted CR2 files. :p

Any OS will do, I'm willing to try "all there is" so I accept any platform really.

Thanks for helping in advance!

Glassed Silver:mac

PS: I'm not willing to send the files away unless this is the VERY LAST option (like an online service).

We're talking about 10 pictures. (I got some pictures in various states (different hash sums))

Reason of corruption? I don't really know. Just drop me the names of the programs, I'll do the testing. :p

Get ExifTool and try the following.

Drag-and-drop one of your corrupted files on the exiftool executable and see if returns any EXIF data back. If it does and there are no warnings then the file header is in tact. If so then when you are trying to open that CR2 file with some other software that reads RAW files (ie Photoshop), the actual raw data is corrupt. You can't fix or recover that, so just forget about the raw data. If there's a line that says Preview or Jpeg From Raw, then you should be able to extract a fullsize JPEG. Better than nothing I guess.

If exiftool returns some EXIF data and a warning, then the header is partially in tact. If there's no mention of JPEG or Preview data, then you obviously won't be able to extract any previews. Recovering a header is possible, but only the bit that describes the file type. It is always at the beginning of the file. But having that doesn't mean you will be able to recover any data. File header contains pointers as to where to look for a specific file part. If that's missing, the data is useless, even if it's still good.

If the tool returns an error saying it can't read the file, then the header is broken right from the first or two bits of the file. You can fix that by matching it with a healthy file in a HEX editor; can be tricky. This still doesn't mean you will get any results. If the rest of the header or file is broken, you will not get any results.

Command line for extracting JPEG preview:

exiftool -b file.cr2 > file.jpg[/CODE]

How are they broken ?

if part of the image is grey or something like that there's probably nothing yo can do as it probably means the harddrive they where on got corrupt and the missing data simply doesn't exist.

Thanks to both of you.

Well, I dropped one image into PhotoInfo and it would show me the EXIF data, it also created a thumbnail based on the embedded jpeg.

I almost kind of thought there are no true recovery programs available for my case, but I thought I'd rather ask and be sure than just not having found anything on Google.

And yes, tons of unfilled area, rainbowing and black blocks.

Thanks a lot guys

Glassed Silver:mac

• 1 year later...

Get ExifTool and try the following.

Drag-and-drop one of your corrupted files on the exiftool executable and see if returns any EXIF data back. If it does and there are no warnings then the file header is in tact. If so then when you are trying to open that CR2 file with some other software that reads RAW files (ie Photoshop), the actual raw data is corrupt. You can't fix or recover that, so just forget about the raw data. If there's a line that says Preview or Jpeg From Raw, then you should be able to extract a fullsize JPEG. Better than nothing I guess.

If exiftool returns some EXIF data and a warning, then the header is partially in tact. If there's no mention of JPEG or Preview data, then you obviously won't be able to extract any previews. Recovering a header is possible, but only the bit that describes the file type. It is always at the beginning of the file. But having that doesn't mean you will be able to recover any data. File header contains pointers as to where to look for a specific file part. If that's missing, the data is useless, even if it's still good.

If the tool returns an error saying it can't read the file, then the header is broken right from the first or two bits of the file. You can fix that by matching it with a healthy file in a HEX editor; can be tricky. This still doesn't mean you will get any results. If the rest of the header or file is broken, you will not get any results.

Command line for extracting JPEG preview:

exiftool -b file.cr2 > file.jpg

Hi there, are there any services to do this? I used the first part of your guide and recovered ten shots, but i have 13 more that are 25+Mb but can't be read by an exif reader. Could fixing the HEX file header fix these files or is it possible to at least try? happy to pay of course. info@colestudios.com.au I had a stack of family shots but just a few (these 13) corrupted when being copied from the card.

It's possible, can't be guaranteed though obviously.

Let's start off simple though, have you tried re-copying the files from the card?

Otherwise, upload one or two of them so we can get an idea of the state they are in.

Also, what is the state of the card they were on, did you delete the files? Have you re-used the card?

• 5 months later...

It's possible, can't be guaranteed though obviously.

Let's start off simple though, have you tried re-copying the files from the card?

Otherwise, upload one or two of them so we can get an idea of the state they are in.

Also, what is the state of the card they were on, did you delete the files? Have you re-used the card?

Hi, theblazingangel

When you said "it's possible" I was very happy, hoping you could give me a little help.

My CR2 file is corrupted, but I can gat a B&W JPEG from it (because this is how I shot the pictures, in B&W mode). I would like to repair the file for getting the color JPEG.

I opened the file in HEX editor, and the header is fine. The problem is with the raw body, the info between the last FFD8 and the very end (FFD9). 

I don't know if there is a way to follow the sequences and figure it out what is missing or there is something mixed up.

I have a corrupted CR2 file at this link: http://we.tl/oVMfpYn3wm

Thank you in advance!

Constantin

• Jim K locked this topic