Nokia's Board: Asleep at the wheel

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,766 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:43

The Three Pillars of Nokia Strategy - Have All Failed. Why Nokia Must Fire CEO Elop Now

If you have three of your pillars in your strategy failing. All three failing, you must IMMEDIATELY STOP pursuing that strategy, as every day in it, brings you closer to death, to yes, bankruptcy, to oblivion, to complete failure, to junk status as a company, to being a takeover target. If your three pillars in your strategy are failing, you must fire immediately the strategy guy and replace not just the strategy head, but your whole strategy. If every leg of your strategy fails, then yes, ANY new strategy is better. Whatever you did before is better, whatever your competitors are doing is better, anything is better than pursuing a strategy that is 100% failing.

The CEO who executed a strategy where all three legs fail, is clearly incompetent, and must be fired immediately. If the Board waits, then the Board is either asleep at the wheel, or incompetent, or in collusion with the incompetent CEO. If the Board waits in firing the CEO of a company where the whole strategy is failing - that Board must be fired instantly as well. This is elementary stuff. A company that finds its three pillars of its strategy all failing, is shrinking in size, is losing customers, is losing market share, is losing consumer and investor confidence, finds its share price rated junk, and is obviously generating increasing losses. This company is at least on the brink of bankruptcy and depending on how much cash it has on hand, it may prolong its life a little, but as long as the company pursues a 100% failing strategy - the company will kill itself.

Source

Very good article on why Nokia is failing, and how the board is allowing CEO Stephen Elop to do it.

#2 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:47

Windows phone is helping Nokia. It re-invigorated them. They were dated as a company and needed it. It differentiates them.

#3 FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

• 7,148 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:56

Don't agree with the article at all.

#4 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,313 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:57

Windows phone is helping Nokia. It re-invigorated them. They were dated as a company and needed it. It differentiates them.

Yes they needed a new platform, they wasted millions developing MeeGo and tossed it aside without giving it a chance (ironically the N9 sold pretty well for no advertising and a dead OS). MeeGo should have been given more time and if that had failed, Android should have been deployed. I personally really want a Lumia 920 but wont touch WP with a barge pole because it doesn't have any of my 20 most used apps. With Android, sales would have been so much higher at this point easily overtaking most OEMs to become the 2nd biggest Android OEM behind Samsung.

#5 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,462 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:02

Glad they didn't go with Android personally, just what the world needs, even more Androids, as if there aren't too many as it is. Being a non-Android phone is one of the reasons I went with a Nokia to begin with. Already owned a few, I've had my fill, and was wanting a good alternative to an iOS phone. You know, the whole "more choice is a good thing" speech I keep reading about.

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,441 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:02

Don't agree with the article at all. Windows Phone differentiates then from other handset makers. They're not just some other Android phone.

#7 OP simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,766 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:03

Really? It looks like Windows Phone will be the death of Nokia from all the data I've seen.

Posted Image

#8 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,441 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:05

And when have analysts ever proved their worth?

#9 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,313 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:05

Don't agree with the article at all. Windows Phone differentiates then from other handset makers. They're not just some other Android phone.

How are they different software-wise from Samsung's or HTC's WPs? The answer is very little,

#10 OP simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,766 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:07

Glad they didn't go with Android personally, just what the world needs, even more Androids, as if there aren't too many as it is. Being a non-Android phone is one of the reasons I went with a Nokia to begin with. Already owned a few, I've had my fill, and was wanting a good alternative to an iOS phone. You know, the whole "more choice is a good thing" speech I keep reading about.

What I don't understand is, why didn't Nokia go with a multi-OS strategy? It's pragmatic to hedge one's bets. There was nothing stopping Nokia from releasing Meego, WP, and Android phones.

#11 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,441 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:07

How are they different software-wise from Samsung's or HTC's WPs? The answer is very little,

Hardware quality. Nokia isn't recycling unused Android hardware.

#12 OP simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,766 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:10

And when have analysts ever proved their worth?

This guy is an ex-Nokia executive, so he knows how the company works. That gives his opinions significantly more credence than a random outside observer.

#13 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:11

Really? It looks like Windows Phone will be the death of Nokia from all the data I've seen.

That is the ********* graph that I have ever seen in my life. Was that made by a 3rd grader?
Nokia deciding on WP is a long term decision. WP8 hasn't even launched yet. If anything, this shows that Nokia's board is willing to make drastic changes to turn the company around.
Judging by your posts, this is clearly beyond your grasp.

#14 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,313 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:11

Hardware quality. Nokia isn't recycling unused Android hardware.

Well it's recycling it's own N9 but that's okay :p

So the question is why can't they use Android and just differentiate on hardware?

#15 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:16

I personally would like to see both WP and Android from them.