• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• 1,940 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:10

Hello,

I noticed that an MSI version of the installer can be found at ftp://ftp.adobe.com/...1000_en_US.msi

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#17 Ulpian

Ulpian

Neowinian

• 336 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:22

I deploy Acrobat Reader in companies, because Foxit/X-Change are free for personal use only.

#18 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 1,741 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:29

I have found Sumatra PDF to be the fastest (and also the most light-weight on system resources)... http://blog.kowalczy...pdf-reader.html

Does Foxit have PDF forms support?

#19 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

• 955 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:15

I have found Sumatra PDF to be the fastest (and also the most light-weight on system resources)... http://blog.kowalczy...pdf-reader.html
Does Foxit have PDF forms support?

Maybe smallest PDF reader, but not fastest by any means. Adobe Reader is very fast rendering complex pages. And also for comparison I just tested Sumatra PDF portable version, and it has noticeable worse text rendering than Adobe Reader.

Here is a comparison of text rendering. Done at presentation i.e. full screen, 1920x1200, the bitmapped image is zoomed to 300%.
Left one is Adobe Reader, right one is Sumatra. At 100%, Adobe Reader looks great, easy to read and smooth text. Sumatra looked slightly jagged.

Posted Image

I've still to find another PDF-reader that is as fast and renders text and graphics as good as Adobe Reader. I've tested Foxit earlier, but not the latest one. Didn't find it to be as good as many say, but worth a new try I guess.

#20 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,109 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:27

To me the question which PDF reader to use comes down to compatibility. There are several complex .pdf files at work 3rd party PDF readers choke on - so Adobe Reader it is.

#21 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

• 1,480 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:35

Yeah, I still have Adobe Reader as my default since it renders almost all my PDFs well. Foxit is there for the tabs :p

#22 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 577 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 17 October 2012 - 23:39

I use Notepad to read PDFs because it takes up less memory!!111

Why are release threads for popular software used as a platform to soapbox alternatives?

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 00:41

Yeah, at work only Adobe reader will do since we have to deal with government regulations and government PDF's.

#24 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 1,741 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:29

Maybe smallest PDF reader, but not fastest by any means. Adobe Reader is very fast rendering complex pages. And also for comparison I just tested Sumatra PDF portable version, and it has noticeable worse text rendering than Adobe Reader.

Here is a comparison of text rendering. Done at presentation i.e. full screen, 1920x1200, the bitmapped image is zoomed to 300%.
Left one is Adobe Reader, right one is Sumatra. At 100%, Adobe Reader looks great, easy to read and smooth text. Sumatra looked slightly jagged.

Posted Image

I've still to find another PDF-reader that is as fast and renders text and graphics as good as Adobe Reader. I've tested Foxit earlier, but not the latest one. Didn't find it to be as good as many say, but worth a new try I guess.

Test with complex vector diagrams instead (they stress the PDF reader a lot more than just text). In my case, I refer to many (vector based) circuit diagrams, and I need something that renders as fast as possible, while panning around and zooming in and out on the document.

For example, try this file: http://www.jordansma...ce%20Manual.pdf

Pages 34 and 35 contain a complex PCB diagram (vector based, not bitmap). Pages 67 and 68 contain a complex circuit diagram. They should take a few seconds to render either way (at least that's the case on my Core 2 processor).

On my end, Sumatra PDF came out being the fastest PDF reader - it was even faster than Foxit (which was, in turn, faster than Adobe Reader [10]).

The Sumatra PDF web browser plugin is really efficient too - I've never had any issues, and it's always been very responsive. It also has some nice shortcuts.

I only have Adobe Reader [10] installed for forms support when I need it. I will try version 11 out soon - perhaps there could actually be a difference (at last!), but I doubt it - I first used version 4, and watched it become bloated with features I will never use (such as Adobe AIR, and 3D models embedded in PDFs).

#25 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

• 955 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:35

Test with complex vector diagrams instead (they stress the PDF reader a lot more than just text). In my case, I refer to many (vector based) circuit diagrams, and I need something that renders as fast as possible, while panning around and zooming in and out on the document.

For example, try this file: http://www.jordansma...ce%20Manual.pdf

Pages 34 and 35 contain a complex PCB diagram (vector based, not bitmap). Pages 67 and 68 contain a complex circuit diagram. They should take a few seconds to render either way (at least that's the case on my Core 2 processor).

Thanks, I tested with it. Just did a simple spam next page key press to see how fast it can browse through complex pages. From a very unscientific test, Sumatra felt fast even though the difference was fairly minimal. I agree for it's lightness and speed it's a good alternative.

#26 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

• 357 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:50

I used to use Foxit on my Windows machine, however X-Change is absolutely remarkable in comparison (also has FREE OCR =D)

Recently at work I have been using the paid Acrobat reader and the features are good and highly accurate. Also comes with builtin PDF->Office (word, xls). The OCR is fast and accurate...but yeah, bit of a memory hog.

#27 khalsa

khalsa

Neowinian

• 384 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:01

Adobe Reader or bust for me. I don't begrudge it the use of ~100MB of RAM, and it's nice and fast. It's also boatloads more secure (actually important), supports more features and generally does a better job rendering. I've found Foxit to be a bit iffy with PDFs now and then.

Thanks for the heads up!

Definately sticking with Adobe Reader. (Y) The alternatives don't even come close to being good for various reasons.

Yup used to run Foxit back in the day but ever since Reader X I have stuck with Adobe.

#28 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,849 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:16

I ALWAYS have issues with Foxit asking me to "Switch Tasks" or whatever it's called. I hate how long it takes to install and everything, but Adode has always been the most reliable for me.

I ALWAYS have issues with Foxit asking me to "Switch Tasks" or whatever it's called. I hate how long it takes to install and everything, but Adode has always been the most reliable for me.

#29 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:18

So when does the first critical patch come out?

Tomorrow?
:rofl:

#30 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

• 955 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 19:58

So when does the first critical patch come out? Tomorrow? :rofl:

It's relatively secure since previous version X. I guess old prejudice die hard.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!