Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

win8 Here

15 posts in this topic

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT METRO; NOT THE WINDOWS DESKTOP

Before we start the discussion, let

"However, the new platform also limits a lot of freedom users enjoyed with the platform of old, including the ability to install apps from anywhere the user pleased." I stopped reading here. I don't understand why people continue to believe that you can only install app's via Microsofts App Store. You can just as easily download an .exe or program from the internet and use it as before. Microsoft is not limiting anyone in anyway. They simply added another source of receiving applications for your PC.

EDIT: Continued reading, and once again, and you state "closed platform that Windows 8 is" Have you even used Windows 8? Windows 8 is not a closed platform, Microsofts App store may be closed platform, but the desktop is still there, and you can download and use anything you please like previous version of Windows.

In regards to Notch, you totally missed the point. I didn't really watch the Valve stuff unfold, so I can't say.

"However, the new platform also limits a lot of freedom users enjoyed with the platform of old, including the ability to install apps from anywhere the user pleased." I stopped reading here. I don't understand why people continue to believe that you can only install app's via Microsofts App Store. You can just as easily download an .exe or program from the internet and use it as before. Microsoft is not limiting anyone in anyway. They simply added another source of receiving applications for your PC.

EDIT: Continued reading, and once again, and you state "closed platform that Windows 8 is" Have you even used Windows 8? Windows 8 is not a closed platform, Microsofts App store may be closed platform, but the desktop is still there, and you can download and use anything you please like previous version of Windows.

This article has nothing to do with the Desktop. I have been using Windows 8 for over a year as my primary desktop. You CAN'T install Metro Style apps. Desktop is past. it's the old platform. I am talking about the NEW platform here. There is ALREADY a Steam platform and Minecraft for the Windows 8 Desktop. Who cares? We are talking about METRO. Read the title. MEATRO METRO METRO. WinRT. Windows Store. Closed platform. Get it in your head.

In regards to Notch, you totally missed the point. I didn't really watch the Valve stuff unfold, so I can't say.

The Valve stuff is more interesting: I recommend you read it. Notch is arguing ethically, and there is debate on that. The valve argument is more easily solved.

Steam always played fine for me on Win8. Is better then on Win7 IMHO.

Steam always played fine for me on Win8. Is better then on Win7 IMHO.

We are talking about Metro NOT the freaking desktop. You can't run Steam on Windows RT, can you? You can run the Xbox app. I am discussion how Valve can run Steam and its games on Metro and Windows RT. Not the desktop because it already exists. *Sigh*. Please read the article before commenting.

I think some of the wording you use throughout your article needs to change for clarification, hence why you have to explain the difference repeatedly and why you think that people aren't reading. They are reading, and they are reading "Windows 8", which is not the same as the platform you are discussing. I read the article, and thought the same thing, "Windows 8 is not a closed platform". Windows RT is though.

Windows 8 is not the same as Windows RT, they are two separate products. So if you are referring to the "new platform", then you need to remove the references to Windows 8 entirely, because Windows 8 is both the desktop and the Metro UX combined (new and old platform), while Windows RT is primarily the new platform based around the Windows Store.

That'll probably clear up a lot of confusion. XD

This article has nothing to do with the Desktop. I have been using Windows 8 for over a year as my primary desktop. You CAN'T install Metro Style apps. Desktop is past. it's the old platform. I am talking about the NEW platform here. There is ALREADY a Steam platform and Minecraft for the Windows 8 Desktop. Who cares? We are talking about METRO. Read the title. MEATRO METRO METRO. WinRT. Windows Store. Closed platform. Get it in your head.

The Valve stuff is more interesting: I recommend you read it. Notch is arguing ethically, and there is debate on that. The valve argument is more easily solved.

I am sorry for misunderstanding you, but as stated by another user, the wording is a bit misleading. If strictly talking about Metro style apps, you are correct. I was just under the impression you were putting Windows 8 entirely into the category of a closed ecosystem. My apologies.

I am sorry for misunderstanding you, but as stated by another user, the wording is a bit misleading. If strictly talking about Metro style apps, you are correct. I was just under the impression you were putting Windows 8 entirely into the category of a closed ecosystem. My apologies.

No worries. I blame Microsoft for this naming issue. Microsoft asked us to refer Metro as Windows 8 Platform and the old Win32 as the Windows Desktop. When I speak of Windows 7 and the Win32 framework, I refer to at as the Windows 8 Desktop and the Windows 8 Desktop apps. For metro, I either call it WinRT or the new Windows 8 Platform.

We are talking about Metro NOT the freaking desktop. You can't run Steam on Windows RT, can you? You can run the Xbox app. I am discussion how Valve can run Steam and its games on Metro and Windows RT. Not the desktop because it already exists. *Sigh*. Please read the article before commenting.

Let's get rude then ya lowly moron.

I think you're forgetting the key fact that Notch will not listen to reason.

Probably a bit off-topic, but Rafael Riviera covers the issue comprehensively in a three parter: http://www.withinwin...-just-confused/

Pretty disappointing to see a top game developer be so ignorant. He is obviously an "opinion leader" and no doubt millions of Minecraft fans now have a bias against Windows 8.

Rafael Riviera covers the issue comprehensively in a three parter: http://www.withinwin...-just-confused/

Pretty disappointing to see a top game developer be so ignorant. He is obviously an "opinion leader" and no doubt millions of Minecraft fans now have a bias against Windows 8.

That's not the same. Mr. Riviera was referring to the desktop version of Minecraft, which is completely different from the Metro version I am referring to. This article has nothing to do with the desktop version. Nothing at all. My article is about Windows Store, Metro style applications, competing with Xbox and avoiding percent revenue cuts from Microsoft.

You DO realise that Notch is a hypocrite, right? He already has a version of Minecraft on the XBox store AND the Android store, both which take a percentage of his revenue for a service fee. He lost that argument before he even opened his stupid yap.

So you like closed so Notch should too? We get it. Sweet Mahomet.