Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windows 8 Upgrade Questions.

52 posts in this topic

Posted

[quote]
thenetavenger said:

[size=3]The 'full' version is now Windows 8 System Builder. The Upgrade/Full confused a lot of people, thinking that the 'full' version had more functionality or features, when it was just a licensing difference.[/size]
[size=3]I don't think the System Builder version is available for pre-order yet.[/size]

[size=3]The only reason you would need System Builder is if you are building a new PC yourself, or have a version older than XP.[/size]
[size=3]XP-Vista-7 users can use the one provide on Amazon's side that is the non-System Builder version.[/size]
[size=3](PS If you are building your own PC, most of the time people are retiring an old computer and can migrate that license under the new Windows 8 upgrade rules. If you are 'serious' about building PCs like professionally, you should be buying wholesale OEM copies that are far cheaper or buying via licensing. You can also use 'deals' through Microsoft for private use and testing on various Partner programs.)[/size]
[/quote]

[quote]
Axel said:

I actually sold my own full retail Windows 7 Home Premium for about

Posted

I think one of two things might need to be done, you can either install the old version and then upgrade to 8 again on the new HDD you have to buy, or install 8 without adding any key and after that redo it through the new install as an "upgrade", this time adding in the key you have for it. It should then activate it and so on.

But I'm not 100% sure.

For myself I wanna know if I can use the upgrade to do a clean install to my new SSD instead of the original C drive I have Win7 installed on right now. I know you can do clean installs (aka you tell it to keep nothing) but i'm not sure if it will then ask you where you want to install.

I might just have to pay more and get the system builder version as well.

Posted

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]Fellows ,I'm pretty sure that when you download the windows 8 version that you want , it asks if you want to run it , or save as an .iso ,you can then burn it to a disc ,or usb.You can then install it where you want .Just write down the key that they will give you when you make your purchase .[/size][/font]

Posted

[quote name='GP007' timestamp='1350377953' post='595250399']
I think one of two things might need to be done, you can either install the old version and then upgrade to 8 again on the new HDD you have to buy, or install 8 without adding any key and after that redo it through the new install as an "upgrade", this time adding in the key you have for it. It should then activate it and so on.

But I'm not 100% sure.

For myself I wanna know if I can use the upgrade to do a clean install to my new SSD instead of the original C drive I have Win7 installed on right now. I know you can do clean installs (aka you tell it to keep nothing) but i'm not sure if it will then ask you where you want to install.

I might just have to pay more and get the system builder version as well.
[/quote]

Done some digging and found this which sheds some light:

[url="http://betanews.com/2012/07/04/four-things-you-really-need-to-know-about-windows-8-upgrades/"]http://betanews.com/2012/07/04/four-things-you-really-need-to-know-about-windows-8-upgrades/[/url]

Is the method of installing without and product key and then again WITH a product key the same one that used to work with Vista and 7 upgrade discs? In that particular case I think I've read Microsoft have closed that hole now. However, I just remember I still have a retail boxed version of Vista upgrade from years ago in my cupboard.

With this in mind that's a new question:-

Can one upgrade from an upgrade?

Posted

From what I can gather, as long as there's an install of XP, Vista or 7 detected on the drive you're installing to it will let you format and do a clean install if you boot from the installation media

Posted

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]According to winsupersite ,you'll be able to upgrade from 8 RP , but not the RTM Eval. , don't know if that helps .[/size][/font]

Posted

[quote name='Javik' timestamp='1350385935' post='595250549']
From what I can gather, as long as there's an install of XP, Vista or 7 detected on the drive you're installing to it will let you format and do a clean install if you boot from the installation media
[/quote]

So in summary, an "Upgrade" purchase requires you to reinstall a previous version of Windows if changing the primary hard disk, prolonging the time it take to reinstall Windows. However, if you simply wish to format and start afresh, that's entirely possible as many times as you want once Windows 8 has been installed.

[quote name='skilithead' timestamp='1350386466' post='595250557']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]According to winsupersite ,you'll be able to upgrade from 8 RP , but not the RTM Eval. , don't know if that helps .[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Oh that's interesting. Thanks for that info.

The other thought that occurs: I suppose I could image the hard disk at the time of a fresh install (Vista for example) onto a usb stick and use a bootable linux distro (dd command) to put the image back onto the disk before reinstalling Windows 8.

Posted

No, from what I gather the install will work even if you have an existing Windows 8 install on the drive, so as long as you keep reinstalling Windows to the same drive it should be no more painful than a current format + install.

Posted

The somewhat useful chart on Amazon's site:
Upgrading from: What you can keep:
Windows 8 Preview Personal files
Windows 8 Developer Preview Nothing, but your old files will be saved in the "windows.old" folder
Windows 7 Software programs; Windows settings; personal files
Windows Vista Windows settings; personal files
Windows XP Personal files

I was asking about this in the original thread, since anyone can get the Windows 8 RP, assuming you always have that around, you don't even need an older version of Windows. I also assume this means that you'll be able to do a clean install from disc.

I don't see why MS gets so hung up on this point. As long as it ends up being 1 copy of Windows to 1 PC, why do they care if it's an upgrade or a full install.
1 person likes this

Posted

Will the $39.99 upgrade be tied to the computer like an OEM copy or have unlimited transfers like a retail?

Posted

From what I knew the "upgrade key" can work with the MSDN ISO's, i.e. you can simply apply it to your current running win8, or install with a MSDN ISO.

Of course, we could only be 100% sure until somebody got a key and actually tested it. :)

Posted

Why not wait for the genuine iso image from the internet someone has uploaded and then burn it? Then you can do a fresh install for free and have you own generated key :). As simple as that and it's absolutely free and no worries.

Posted

[quote name='demon_speed' timestamp='1350784572' post='595261159']
Why not wait for the genuine iso image from the internet someone has uploaded and then burn it? Then you can do a fresh install for free and have you own generated key :). As simple as that and it's absolutely free and no worries.
[/quote]

Since it's now officially out and someone can confirm the process first hand I thought I'd bump my old thread to see if any of these questions can be answered. Can the Win8 .iso be booted and loaded onto a disk which doesn't have a previous version of Windows installed.

Scenario: I have a hard disk failure and need to install onto a fresh disk. What's the process since I only bought "upgrade"?

Cheers guys.

Posted

[quote name='Axel' timestamp='1351249667' post='595273659']
Since it's now officially out and someone can confirm the process first hand I thought I'd bump my old thread to see if any of these questions can be answered. Can the Win8 .iso be booted and loaded onto a disk which doesn't have a previous version of Windows installed.

Scenario: I have a hard disk failure and need to install onto a fresh disk. What's the process since I only bought "upgrade"?

Cheers guys.
[/quote]

I was able to activate a Fresh Install using the key I bought for 39.99. It worked like any full version of Windows would.

Posted

I installed the upgrade and did a clean install however I guess it detected the existing Win7 OS so didn't ask me anything extra.
Typically on previous upgrade CD's you would be just asked to insert your existing OS install CD to prove you are upgrading.

Posted

i need some help.

I am on the Windows 8 Release Preview. I ran the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Assistant and it says all green! just buy the online download for $39.99.

If I buy that. Will I be able to do a clean install of Windows 8 Pro on my PC? or not?
No I don't have a windows 7 license.

Posted

[quote name='Zain Adeel' timestamp='1351252401' post='595273717']
i need some help.

I am on the Windows 8 Release Preview. I ran the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Assistant and it says all green! just buy the online download for $39.99.

If I buy that. Will I be able to do a clean install of Windows 8 Pro on my PC? or not?
No I don't have a windows 7 license.
[/quote]

If you don't have a licence how are you using Windows now?

Posted

[quote name=']SK[' timestamp='1351252519' post='595273721']

If you don't have a licence how are you using Windows now?
[/quote]

Windows 8 Release Preview didn't require a paid license to use.

Posted

I bought the

Posted

The "upgrade key" is actually a retail key, so:

Unofficially: the key can be used with MSDN ISO's, MS wouldn't clarify on this, but it has been reported and confirmed by many users,

Officially: A PCBeta guy has asked MS China Customer Service, the key can be transfered to other machine(s), you can check with MS at your location. :)

Posted

Can anyone tell me how to get windows 8 pro?

Posted

Brilliant!!! :D
that explains it!

I thought it was maybe preactivated the upgrade... but its a ISO??
sweet!

Posted

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][quote name='Ibrahim Haseel' timestamp='1351253910' post='595273767']
Can anyone tell me how to get windows 8 pro?
[/quote][/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]Depends on your location :[/size][/font]

[url="http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_SM_Meet_FPP_Null"][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_SM_Meet_FPP_Null[/size][/font][/url]

Posted

[quote name='skilithead' timestamp='1351254425' post='595273795']

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]Depends on your location :[/size][/font]

[url="http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_SM_Meet_FPP_Null"][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_SM_Meet_FPP_Null[/size][/font][/url]
[/quote] u mean?

Posted

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]It is available for purchase through the Microsoft store .[/size][/font]