Photo

Windows 8 Upgrade Questions.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:03

Does the license that comes with the $40 Online Upgrade download support both 32bit and 64bit installs?

I have an older AMD system right now with only 3GB of DDR. I plan to upgrade early next year. So I want to upgrade my Win 7 Pro (32bit) to Win 8 Pro, also 32bit. But then later, after I a major hardware upgrade, I would want to install 64bit Win 8 Pro.
Would this be possible with the Online Upgrade license, or would I need to but an OEM copy from a retailer?

I'm hoping someone can answer, because I haven't seen this addressed anywhere.

Thanks!

SiliconGod

The license supports the SKU, not the architecture when it comes to 32/64. So a key for Pro will work for either 32-bit or 64-bit, but obviously not both at the same time.

#47 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:15

Guys is it possible to purchase the upgrade key only (the one which costs 40$) without downloading Win 8 all over again? I have it as an .iso

Yes, after you reach the part in the process where you pay and get the key itself you can then cancel out I've read. The next step is the download itself anyways which you already have.

The problem though, with the download option is that you don't get an ISO with both 32bit and 64bit on it. If you get Win8 via the download assistant it will download the same architecture your current Windowns install is. Like in my case I have Win7 32bit installed but want to upgrade to Win8 64bit. If I use the download option it will only give me the 32bit ISO image. If you want to get 64bit like me you have to get the $69.99 DVD which has both 32bit and 64bit on it and then use that to upgrade.

#48 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:17

Yes, after you reach the part in the process where you pay and get the key itself you can then cancel out I've read. The next step is the download itself anyways which you already have.

The problem though, with the download option is that you don't get an ISO with both 32bit and 64bit on it. If you get Win8 via the download assistant it will download the same architecture your current Windowns install is. Like in my case I have Win7 32bit installed but want to upgrade to Win8 64bit. If I use the download option it will only give me the 32bit ISO image. If you want to get 64bit like me you have to get the $69.99 DVD which has both 32bit and 64bit on it and then use that to upgrade.

I believe the DVD version you buy actually has 2 disks in it...one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. It would be odd if they were both on the same disk due to having different requirements for launching at boot.

#49 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:20

I believe the DVD version you buy actually has 2 disks in it...one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. It would be odd if they were both on the same disk due to having different requirements for launching at boot.

Hmm, well I haven't picked up on if there's 2 disks or not but didn't Win7 have it all on one disk? Either way, that's the only option if you want to go from 32bit to 64bit.

#50 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:23

Hmm, well I haven't picked up on if there's 2 disks or not but didn't Win7 have it all on one disk? Either way, that's the only option if you want to go from 32bit to 64bit.

Nope, Vista & 7 have different discs for the different architectures. I believe 8 is the same way...at least I know it is on MSDN & Technet...different ISO's for 32-bit & 64-bit.

#51 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:30

Thanks a lot! :D
I'll by trying it right now. Will post back.

#52 adam.mt

adam.mt

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 October 2012 - 20:05

I believe the following two articles should confirm the situation:
http://www.winsupers...de-media-144648
http://www.winsupers...it-64bit-144649

Apart from the Upgrade Assistant only providing either 32 or 64-bit (and not both) it appears all good.