Photo

POLL: Dota 2 or League of Legends?

poll dota 2 league of legends

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Dota 2 or LOL

Which to start playing?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:06

As stated in the title.
Feel free to give your reasoning.

#2 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:08

Is dota 2 even out yet?

#3 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:14

^ er, yes :D ? DOTA 2 by a long shot, no doubts

#4 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:24

League. Dota 2 didn't fix what I hate about the game, and that's the fact that team fights are ultimate explosions where you hope things work out.

#5 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:39

Dota2, not even a contest in my opinion. I haven't played LoL once since starting Dota2

#6 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:59

League. Dota 2 didn't fix what I hate about the game, and that's the fact that team fights are ultimate explosions where you hope things work out.

Dota is about split second decision making (Action-RTS) and LoL is MOBA. See the difference?

There is a reason Dota 2 didn't "fix" Dota. It is because Dota doesn't need "fixing".

#7 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 16 October 2012 - 21:10

Dota is about split second decision making (Action-RTS) and LoL is MOBA. See the difference?

There is a reason Dota 2 didn't "fix" Dota. It is because Dota doesn't need "fixing".

MOBA falls within the ARTS genre. The difference here is there is time for a decision to be made. Most of my experience watching and playing Dota 2 has been ulti mobs after laning phase. I also don't like the purposeful over-complexity of the game. There is a lot of things that could be changed to provide a better gameplay experience even if it isn't as "hardcore" as some might think it should be. LoL is as popular as it is not because it takes less skill, but because its easier to play. I am an advocate of easy to learn, difficult to master.

#8 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:51

MOBA falls within the ARTS genre. The difference here is there is time for a decision to be made. Most of my experience watching and playing Dota 2 has been ulti mobs after laning phase. I also don't like the purposeful over-complexity of the game. There is a lot of things that could be changed to provide a better gameplay experience even if it isn't as "hardcore" as some might think it should be. LoL is as popular as it is not because it takes less skill, but because its easier to play. I am an advocate of easy to learn, difficult to master.

Good for you. Play LoL then, I have nothing against that game. But don't try to preach your idea in to dota/dota2 and ruin it.

And you have no idea about dota if you thing ulti mobs after laning phase is dota. Well, can't blame you for that actually. Newbies (including long term players who failed to improve) perceive this game differently. It is like five blind men describing an elephant.

#9 winaxter

winaxter

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:57

Dota2. It's a lot more skill/strategy based than LoL, which makes it much more entertaining for me. Can't even deny in LoL :(

Dota2 has a much larger learning curve than LoL, but to me that just means theres more to learn, a games no fun when you've mastered it.

Edit: just to reply to to emin1ty. You must have not played a lot of dota if you think its all 'ulti mobs' late game. Theres so much stuff going on at once in dota, you really have to keep an eye on everything, positioning, map awareness, warding, ganking, it's actually ridiculous how much there is to know if you play long enough. thats why it's so much more skill based. It's fine if you like LoL, but dont come on here and give bs about dota2

#10 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:34

Dota2. It's a lot more skill/strategy based than LoL, which makes it much more entertaining for me. Can't even deny in LoL :(

Dota2 has a much larger learning curve than LoL, but to me that just means theres more to learn, a games no fun when you've mastered it.

Edit: just to reply to to emin1ty. You must have not played a lot of dota if you think its all 'ulti mobs' late game. Theres so much stuff going on at once in dota, you really have to keep an eye on everything, positioning, map awareness, warding, ganking, it's actually ridiculous how much there is to know if you play long enough. thats why it's so much more skill based. It's fine if you like LoL, but dont come on here and give bs about dota2

The same is true for League. There are very few differences between the games aside from the pacing, size of the maps, a few select mechanics and the fact you can deny farm/towers. Other than that the games are very, very similar. My opinion is based on the fact that Dota 2 is popular because it's difficult to play, and I don't enjoy that aspect of it. Denying creeps is all fine and dandy, but what does that add to the game? Why is that specific mechanic better than just harassing your lane opponent as they farm or zoning their creeps? There is just as much complexity in LoL as there is in Dota, just fewer things to clog up the experience. I am of the same opinion when it comes to HoN.

#11 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:42

The same is true for League. There are very few differences between the games aside from the pacing, size of the maps, a few select mechanics and the fact you can deny farm/towers. Other than that the games are very, very similar. My opinion is based on the fact that Dota 2 is popular because it's difficult to play, and I don't enjoy that aspect of it. Denying creeps is all fine and dandy, but what does that add to the game? Why is that specific mechanic better than just harassing your lane opponent as they farm or zoning their creeps? There is just as much complexity in LoL as there is in Dota, just fewer things to clog up the experience. I am of the same opinion when it comes to HoN.

If you think that, sorry my friend, you are in no position to talk about either of these games (LoL and Dota/Dota2).

Deny: one extra deny in a lane can mean one team in that lane level up to 3 (or 5 or 6) before the other team and kill them off. You obviously never died/won a battle because of one deny (or not enough experienced to notice).
Organized deny+last hit from a carry means he doesn't push in to enemy zone unnecessarily and stays less susceptible to gank.
Denying tower = massive gold loss to enemy.
Denying warlock golem in every battle = no free 100g to enemy every time.

As I said, if you like LoL, play it. Just keep in mind that LoL is not Dota and keep your inexperienced comments about Dota to yourself.

It is always a good idea not to talk* about things you do not understand. Though if you fail to understand what you do/don't understand, nothing can be done...I guess.

*as in giving opinion how it should (not) be

#12 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:53

I voted League of Legends for one reason Dominion. I am not a fan of the standard formula for these games however, Dominion is really fun for me.

#13 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:57

I voted League of Legends for one reason Dominion. I am not a fan of the standard formula for these games however, Dominion is really fun for me.

Yeah, Dominion is good. Too bad it didn't take off in Dota. Riot copied the idea from Dota and (probably) did a better implementation which is why it is a success in LoL.

#14 +Lovell

Lovell

,l,(-.-),l,

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:10

League of Legends, I love dominion, you don't have to spend 20mins of farming and then 20mins of poking each other it's just 20 mins of non stop fights, it's so easy to learn I don't have time to be learning every tiny thing about the game I just want to play a game and have fun.

#15 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:31

Going with League. I've played both extensively over the years (i played DoTA 1 for a long time) and League is just less stressful for me. Whenever i play DoTA it's a much more hardcore experience and i feel like there's too much going on. I prefer the small map of league, as well as the lack of denying and so forth. Also, when i last went to go play DoTA 2 it felt kinda sluggish to me, i'm not sure if this was intended or what. I think both games are great, and i like that Valve can provide competition to Riot to help both games progress. League is just more of my style.