doom 3 doom 3 bfg id software

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 October 2012 - 21:07

DOOM 3: BFG Edition features DOOM 3 and the Resurrection of Evil add-on pack, both of which have been completely re-mastered. The package also includes hours of new content -- seven new levels entitled "The Lost Mission."
This genre defining game and its expansion pack offers greatly enhanced graphics, deeply immersing the player in the demonic world of this terrifying horror masterpiece. Players will also experience a never-before-seen single-player story, The Lost Mission, featuring seven heart-pounding levels that will once again have them on the edge of their seats.

Source

Anyone play this yet? How would you rate the graphics overhaul compared to the original Doom 3? Thanks.

#2 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 16 October 2012 - 21:26

I can't find a decent comparison of the old doom 3 with the new one. So I can't decide if I want this or not. Also, I've read that while the flashlight can stay on all the time, it no longer cast shadows, which is a huge let down.

#3 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 16 October 2012 - 21:33

Old Doom 3 runs like crap at high image quality settings. Also Nvidia's threaded optimisation breaks it if left on/auto.

I might pick up the BFG version of they finally recognise 1080p and Steam have a sale.

#4 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 21:39

Doom 3 was too much of a closet-script-fest to be enjoyable.

I walk down a clear corridor, turn around and there's a massive ****ing lanky skeleton there.... times 100.

#5 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:06

ok with this version of Doom 3 BFG i am playing now better quality graphics better AA motion blur options 60FPS or 120FPS option settings 3d options for 3d stuff i f you own a nvidia vision stuff lighting is bit better runs faster alot of boring stuff that made no sense has been cut out it has been sped up on gameplay things are faster more monsters gun works better they use Rage Gun mechanics everything is just better action starts far sooner then before oh and from what i have tested seems to use my core i7 more using more then 1 core

#6 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:33

I can't find a decent comparison of the old doom 3 with the new one. So I can't decide if I want this or not. Also, I've read that while the flashlight can stay on all the time, it no longer cast shadows, which is a huge let down.

What? The cast shadows is what gave it the spooky atmosphere. I liked the game even more with the player shadow enabled.

Idk, I might wait awhile for a sell to hit Steam. I predict a $9.99 price in the near future on this face lift of an 8 year old game.

#7 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:41

Doom 3 was too much of a closet-script-fest to be enjoyable.

I walk down a clear corridor, turn around and there's a massive ****ing lanky skeleton there.... times 100.

If it was like that I might have enjoyed it a little more. Instead every mob in that game made sure you heard them coming as soon as you came in into a room. It would have been way scarier to turn around and something is right behind you about to carve your face up. But no...the mobs might as well say "I'm in here and I'm going to come get you".

That being said, I really loved Doom 3. I found the game to be a fun play through. The hell levels were all fantastic IMO. The dark corridor levels (which is the majority of the game) got old fast, however.

The last boss in the expansion was ridiculously difficult. I don't think I ever figured out how to beat him. He seemed to move before I could ever get any shots off.

Anyone know what the setting is for the Lost Mission?

#8 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:46

After beating The Lost Mission campaign, I am really regretting my purchase. It took me under two hours to beat it on the second hardest difficulty. Further, the graphics are not too different than the 2004 release. Sure, there is motion blur if you like that kind of thing, but it all pales in comparison to a modded copy of the original.

Spoiler

Wait for a sale.

#9 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:50

After beating The Lost Mission campaign, I am really regretting my purchase. It took me under two hours to beat it on the second hardest difficulty. Further, the graphics are not too different than the 2004 release. Sure, there is motion blur if you like that kind of thing, but it all pales in comparison to a modded copy of the original.

Spoiler

Wait for a sale.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait for the sale.

I've read that the Doom 3 HD mod spanks this in terms of graphics. If there is any interest (not sure if there is in an 8 year old game), then maybe BFG will get an HD mod (which is really kind of lame the more I think about it). This WAS suppose to be the original HD mod.

Did they even update those terrible, terrible wall textures? I mean, they were considered terrible back in 2004...

#10 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:56

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait for the sale.

I've read that the Doom 3 HD mod spanks this in terms of graphics. If there is any interest (not sure if there is in an 8 year old game), then maybe BFG will get an HD mod (which is really kind of lame the more I think about it). This WAS suppose to be the original HD mod.

Did they even update those terrible, terrible wall textures? I mean, they were considered terrible back in 2004...

for me it looks better then the orginal game lighting is betetr and other stuff another thing is you can switch from 60FPS to 120 if you wish

#11 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:21

It's a clear commercial move to ramp up interest for Doom 4. And no, I'm not interested in remakes of games that still works perfectly on my PCs. id has become dirty cheap when it comes to supporting the PC platform, as a PC gamer I won't encourage this kind of horrible, horrible behavior. They can screw themselves with the BFG edition of Doom 3....

#12 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:32

It's a clear commercial move to ramp up interest for Doom 4. And no, I'm not interested in remakes of games that still works perfectly on my PCs. id has become dirty cheap when it comes to supporting the PC platform, as a PC gamer I won't encourage this kind of horrible, horrible behavior. They can screw themselves with the BFG edition of Doom 3....

They did nothing to screw themselves with the BFG edition as they took the Pc version and made it better then it ever was ramping up the pace of the game taking out sections that were to boring or made no sense and stuff like that and adding in new tech to it like 3d vision stuff the gameplay is faster more enemies added in some new monsters. impriving the network stuff and changing some things for a better gameplay but yea how in the world do you think they screwed themselves

#13 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 October 2012 - 00:06

They did nothing to screw themselves with the BFG edition as they took the Pc version and made it better then it ever was ramping up the pace of the game taking out sections that were to boring or made no sense and stuff like that and adding in new tech to it like 3d vision stuff the gameplay is faster more enemies added in some new monsters. impriving the network stuff and changing some things for a better gameplay but yea how in the world do you think they screwed themselves

They're screwing themselves because they keep alienating their fan base. Instead of making products they would actually want, they are trying, and failing, to reach to a completely new market. I can only say that with Rage, but only time will tell with DOOM 3 BFG.

#14 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 17 October 2012 - 00:11

I guess I am the only one who sees this as a move to expose Doom 3 to a larger, which no need to read between the lines, I mean consoles, audience.
Sure, I guess there is a new breed of PC gamers out there who have maybe not played it, but chances are if they are only PC gamers, they would not be all that impressed with Doom 3 anyway.
So I do not get all the hate. Yes it is dumbed down (some, in other areas it has been improved), but it had to be for consoles, but this is because it is meant to expose Doom 3 to those who would have never been exposed to it otherwise.

#15 AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2012 - 00:26

You can enable the player shadow from the cfg file.