Windows RT Will run These Windows 7 Programs

We know that Windows RT won't run existing Windows 7 programs. But don't be discouraged, as some Windows 7 programs have been ported to Windows RT, and they will work out of the box. As you would expect, all these will run on the Windows RT Desktop. I have listed many (not al) of these programs. If you find an error or have something to add to the list, do let us know through replies.

List of Windows 7 programs that will work on Windows RT:

1. Adobe Flash
  2. Microsoft Word
  3. Microsoft Excel
  4. Microsoft PowerPoint
  5. Microsoft OneNote
  6. Windows Defender
  7. Microsoft Paint
  8. Microsoft Wordpad
  9. Notepad
  10. Snipping Tool
  11. Sticky Notes (the one in Windows 7)
  12. Sound Recorder
  13. Command Prompt
  14. Windows PowerShell (and Windows Power Shell ISE, which is an integrated scripting environment to making scripting more visual and easier)
  15. XPS Viewer (desktop app; not the modern reader)
  16. File Explorer
  17. Internet Explorer (Desktop)
  18. Problem Steps Recorder
  19. Windows Fax and Scan
  20. Calculator (calc.exe)
  21. Math Input Panel
  22. Windows Journal
  23. HTML Help Viewer (a legacy help viewer used by many old programs, some new programs, and the Windows Management Console Help System)
  24. Task Manager
  25. Control Panel and System Utilities, like Task Scheduler, Disk Cleanup, etc)

These are a descent collection, don't you think? I also want to note that neither iOS nor android offer the latest version of Adobe Flash that will be continually updated. Windows RT is a bargain, isn't it?

Did you see an error? Have I missed anything? Let us know.

Inb4 people start making gigantic full programs in only powershell code to get around the MS walled garden. It's a good list of programs, but if there's even ONE other desktop program you need, then RT is almost useless.

Apparently its going to be able to use WSUS but I haven't seen how to link it to the wsus server without group policy

Apparently its going to be able to use WSUS but I haven't seen how to link it to the wsus server without group policy

Normally you can change the "Windows Update"-Settings directly in the registry (just google it)...

Wish they had AD tools and all the other RSAT management tools... would make WinRT ok for mobile admins at least

Unless the Windows 8 RTM tools changed it, RSAT requires you are joined to a domain which isn't supported on RT. Would definitely be nice if it was available.

Most of those (besides Office) are basic features of Windows. If all of those weren't compatible, it would be a massive letdown.

Most of those aren't basic features of, let's say, Android (for which also five nines of 3rd party apps are half assed amateurish spit in comparison to MS, even those which cost monies). So, sadly, these days it can be considered a bargain. Now I wouldn't know about latest iOS, but somehow I figure it is not be much better there, except for the half-assed part.

Like, how is this ALLOWED? What I mean to say is, if Windows RT has a desktop and it has a windowing system, how can they refuse permission to say Adobe, for making a version of Photoshop for the desktop side of Windows RT? Obviously they could do it - M$ probably has a whole SDK internally.

It's not anti-trust I guess since they don't have a monopoly, but it is BS!

• Like 2

Like, how is this ALLOWED? What I mean to say is, if Windows RT has a desktop and it has a windowing system, how can they refuse permission to say Adobe, for making a version of Photoshop for the desktop side of Windows RT? Obviously they could do it - M$ probably has a whole SDK internally.

It's not anti-trust I guess since they don't have a monopoly, but it is BS!

Because it's their operating system? The only reason the desktop is even included is because Office doesn't have an RT version. They were considering not having the desktop even in there at one point. Remember, Windows RT is not Windows 8 in the sense that Windows RT is an OEM only product designed for tablets on ARM.

Will it be able to run a non Modern UI/Metro version of Firefox, Google Chrome, etc? I'm guessing no and that you need Win8 Pro for that. It will run Modern UI/Metro versions of those two apps, right? Also, I know there will be a Skype app upon launch, but what about Yahoo! Messenger or even Windows Live Messenger?

Unless the Windows 8 RTM tools changed it, RSAT requires you are joined to a domain which isn't supported on RT. Would definitely be nice if it was available.

yeah I know, I was just saying it would of been nice

Will it be able to run a non Modern UI/Metro version of Firefox, Google Chrome, etc? I'm guessing no and that you need Win8 Pro for that. It will run Modern UI/Metro versions of those two apps, right? Also, I know there will be a Skype app upon launch, but what about Yahoo! Messenger or even Windows Live Messenger?

No, there will be no "normal" style applications on Windows RT, desktop mode is only for selected applications, and at least for now, only Microsoft can make such apps.

Of course you can run modern UI versions of those two apps, if they will be released. Metro Chrome browser already exists, and it is, at least in my opinion, better than Metro IE.

Considering the Acer W510 is also $500 for 32GB and has the full Win8 on it...

LOL

It's also an Acer. Might as well just burn that $500.

Metro chrome & firefox won't work on Windows RT yet because it relies on a desktop engine, just like IE. They will need to write a browser from scratch, and build an engine that runs on the metro environment. They can also cheap out and do what chrome does on iOS and use the Tradient engine and make an UI on top of that.

I honestly don't see the need for RT. Not only is the choice between RT and the regular version going to confuse the heck out of a lot of average users, it's basically useless at the moment.

on Windows RT, desktop mode is only for selected applications, and at least for now, only Microsoft can make such apps.

Do you have a source for that? it's one of the biggest questions I have about Windows RT right now :\

I honestly don't see the need for RT. Not only is the choice between RT and the regular version going to confuse the heck out of a lot of average users, it's basically useless at the moment.

Windows RT is essential to MS' tablet ambitions, without RT MS has no hope in hell of being significant in the tablet market because relying on only x86 chips means a price ceiling of Windows tablets would be a minimum of ?500+

I know there will be a Skype app upon launch, but what about Yahoo! Messenger or even Windows Live Messenger?

The bundled Messaging app supports Windows Live and Facebook chat; you can communicate with Yahoo! Messenger contacts through your Windows Live Messenger account as usual but you can't log into the Yahoo! Messenger service itself, so as with the desktop Windows Live Messenger client some Yahoo! Messenger-specific features are not available (e.g. font formatting).

Do you have a source for that? it's one of the biggest questions I have about Windows RT right now :\

Windows RT cannot run any traditional desktop Windows software other than what is pre-installed. The Windows Store is the only way of installing new software on Windows RT. If you need the ability to use existing desktop Windows software then Windows RT is not what you're looking for.

Paul Thurrott has an article explaining things in more detail: How to Choose: Windows 8 vs. Windows RT.

There's actually no wordpad. Would've been silly with Word there :-) Trusty old Notepad is there though!

What happens when you type in "Write.exe" in start search. Is this exe still in the Windows folder?

Can you verify if the legacy Tablet PC features that came with Vista is still present. They are in default Windows 8 Installs, like "Windows Journal" and Windows 7's "Math Input Panel". Is there "Windows Fax and Scan"? Since Windows RT tablets have USB ports, and most scanners use USB, it still makes sense to have "Windows Fax and Scan", even though fax is ridiculously outdated.

Windows RT cannot run any traditional desktop Windows software other than what is pre-installed. The Windows Store is the only way of installing new software on Windows RT. If you need the ability to use existing desktop Windows software then Windows RT is not what you're looking for.

Paul Thurrott has an article explaining things in more detail: How to Choose: Windows 8 vs. Windows RT.

Is there an official source from Microsoft about this? Just wondering ;D