Windows RT Will run These Windows 7 Programs

Is there an official source from Microsoft about this? Just wondering ;D

OK, here you go :) Help me choose which Windows tablet is best for me - Microsoft Surface

The operating system comparison says Windows RT "Works exclusively with apps available in the Windows Store".

This sort of mention is made throughout the Surface site. Presumably there will be more detailed coverage of Windows RT on the main site once it launches.

We know that Windows RT won't run existing Windows 7 programs. But don't be discouraged, as some Windows 7 programs have been ported to Windows RT, and they will work out of the box. As you would expect, all these will run on the Windows RT Desktop. I have listed many (not al) of these programs. If you find an error or have something to add to the list, do let us know through replies.

List of Windows 7 programs that will work on Windows RT:

1. Adobe Flash
  2. Microsoft Word
  3. Microsoft Excel
  4. Microsoft PowerPoint
  5. Microsoft OneNote
  6. Windows Defender
  7. Microsoft Paint
  8. Microsoft Wordpad
  9. Notepad
  10. Snipping Tool
  11. Sticky Notes (the one in Windows 7)
  12. Sound Recorder
  13. Command Prompt
  14. Windows PowerShell (and Windows Power Shell ISE, which is an integrated scripting environment to making scripting more visual and easier)
  15. XPS Viewer (desktop app; not the modern reader)
  16. File Explorer
  17. Internet Explorer (Desktop)
  18. Problem Steps Recorder
  19. Windows Fax and Scan
  20. Calculator (calc.exe)
  21. Math Input Panel
  22. Windows Journal
  23. HTML Help Viewer (a legacy help viewer used by many old programs, some new programs, and the Windows Management Console Help System)
  24. Task Manager
  25. Control Panel and System Utilities, like Task Scheduler, Disk Cleanup, etc)

These are a descent collection, don't you think? I also want to note that neither iOS nor android offer the latest version of Adobe Flash that will be continually updated. Windows RT is a bargain, isn't it?

Did you see an error? Have I missed anything? Let us know.

It should be Adobe Flash Player in the first bullet!

And again RT should be mentioned in front of all the Office products since they will be sold differently than their x86 counterparts and will have crucial functional differences also related to Macros and addons and more....

I honestly don't see the need for RT. Not only is the choice between RT and the regular version going to confuse the heck out of a lot of average users, it's basically useless at the moment.

Actually there is a need for RT because Microsoft needed a consumption product to compete with iPads.....what they didn't need was the name confusion.... they should have never named this platform Windows RT as it creates multitudes of confusion......anything new would have sufficed.....

LOL

It's also an Acer. Might as well just burn that $500.

I never had any issues with my Acer.

I honestly don't see the need for RT. Not only is the choice between RT and the regular version going to confuse the heck out of a lot of average users, it's basically useless at the moment.

It is a tablet. Apps are there and more coming. Just like any new product.

So it won't run the Remote Desktop client which you've been able to install on any version of Windows since it was created in order to connect to a Pro workstation or Server :?

There's actually no wordpad. Would've been silly with Word there :-) Trusty old Notepad is there though!

is WMP in there at least?

So it won't run the Remote Desktop client which you've been able to install on any version of Windows since it was created in order to connect to a Pro workstation or Server :?

There's metro RDP no?

That would kill it in the enterprise and they would be forced to pay 900+ per tablet per employee vs 500 per tablet per employee and that makes a HUGE difference to companies.

windows metro.

No. That's what the problem is with Windows RT right now. The word Windows needed to be ditched and they didn't. Zune would have been wonderful but they must have thought of not to jinx the new tablet initiative using it.

That would kill it in the enterprise and they would be forced to pay 900+ per tablet per employee vs 500 per tablet per employee and that makes a HUGE difference to companies.

No it would be up to the enterprise if they allowed connections from the tablet to the Server and therefore require licences for the remote session. I have an app on my Acer A500 that I use to remote into my Windows Home Server and Windows 7 client whenever it's needed I think it cost $20

Zune would have been wonderful but they must have thought of not to jinx the new tablet initiative using it.

I think Zune hurt WP7 just using the name for media. People thought Zune was a failure due to the rocket scientists at Microsoft sales & marketing limiting where it was being sold.

No. That's what the problem is with Windows RT right now. The word Windows needed to be ditched and they didn't. Zune would have been wonderful but they must have thought of not to jinx the new tablet initiative using it.

yeah putting windows there is wrong. Keep that for the software side. :D

I think Zune hurt WP7 just using the name for media. People thought Zune was a failure due to the rocket scientists at Microsoft sales & marketing limiting where it was being sold.

Can't use Zune any more. That name is dead.

There is a remote desktop client, I am certain. However, Windows Media Player IS NOT AVAILABLE in Windows RT. I have left out that one for a reason. It's a shame. WMP is still my favorite media player. The built in music app doesn't even let me open via Web URL. WMP does. Also, searching music in WMP is so much faster than searching in the Music app.

The name "Windows" makes more sense than ever

These tiles look like Window to apps. They look like window panes. Windows 8 looks more like a physical Window (and symbolic: each tile is a window to an app) than any previous versions of Windows ever did.

There is a remote desktop client, I am certain.

Have you seen any reviews that confirm it? Not that I don't trust you but as I implied it's a must have for me

However, Windows Media Player IS NOT AVAILABLE in Windows RT. I have left out that one for a reason. It's a shame. WMP is still my favorite media player. The built in music app doesn't even let me open via Web URL. WMP does. Also, searching music in WMP is so much faster than searching in the Music app.

Yeah it took them so long to get WMP into a really nice app. I also don't understand why they're also backing off WMC with Xbox being used as more than a gaming console than ever.

what? no WMP!!!! so there isn't even a decent media app for winRT whatsovever now.... if they would have left that in for us power media junkies than that would give us a reason at least to use the winRT tabs. now that's gone I have no reason to get an RT tab unless there's a decent media app made for RT. I live for music and that box music app doesn't cut it for me... it's only made for simpletons that only wanna listen to a few quick songs out of an album and not those that compile professionally blended custom playlists or those that listen to mixed compilations.

what? no WMP!!!! so there isn't even a decent media app for winRT whatsovever now.... if they would have left that in for us power media junkies than that would give us a reason at least to use the winRT tabs. now that's gone I have no reason to get an RT tab unless there's a decent media app made for RT. I live for music and that box music app doesn't cut it for me... it's only made for simpletons that only wanna listen to a few quick songs out of an album and not those that compile professionally blended custom playlists or those that listen to mixed compilations.

I agree. I will REALLY miss WMP on Windows RT. I absolutely feel you. WMP was one of the best music management tools. It had the power of iTunes music management, without the bloat and lag.

I agree. I will REALLY miss WMP on Windows RT. I absolutely feel you. WMP was one of the best music management tools. It had the power of iTunes music management, without the bloat and lag.

I used to like it but I use JRiver Media Jukebox now and I love that media player... it uses even less resources then WMP and it has more features.

I used to like it but I use JRiver Media Jukebox now and I love that media player... it uses even less resources then WMP and it has more features.

Given that JRiver Media Jukebox is also a desktop app, it won't work on RT either. At least if MS kept WMP, there would be at least something usable on Windows RT.

Given that JRiver Media Jukebox is also a desktop app, it won't work on RT either. At least if MS kept WMP, there would be at least something usable on Windows RT.

Yeah :(

OK, here you go :) Help me choose which Windows tablet is best for me - Microsoft Surface

The operating system comparison says Windows RT "Works exclusively with apps available in the Windows Store".

This sort of mention is made throughout the Surface site. Presumably there will be more detailed coverage of Windows RT on the main site once it launches.

ah, that sucks :(

but thanks for the link

The included Video app uses MediaFoundation codecs to play mp4/mov/avi so in essence is not more than a frontend for a WMP ready to touch.

Of course they will have to improve little by little the app until achieve the same WMP functionality.

I just hope someone creates a MKV Mediafundation codec so you don't have to convert mkv to mp4 in order to play it on Video app.

Funny MS haven't magically renamed the program on mu PC and my Zune HD is still sitting around somewhere :)

Don't be silly. The name is dead as in the product is no longer produced since it was a failure. Yes it sold a bit but not enough to keep around. It failed.

infrastructure status, see Check Group Policy Infrastructure Status.

Local Group Policy support for Windows RT

You can configure Group Policy on devices that run Windows RT.

What value does this change add?

Local Group Policy is available for Windows RT. It is off by default, but can be turned on by the local administrator.

What works differently?

For Windows RT devices, the Group Policy Client service is disabled by default. The Group Policy Client service must be set to Automatic and started by the administrator before Group Policy is processed on the device.

To turn on the Group Policy Client service

1. From the start screen, type Services.msc.

2. Double-click Group Policy Client to open the Group Policy Client Properties (Local Computer) dialog box.

3. Set the Startup type to Automatic, and then click the Start button.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574108.aspx#BKMK_WinRT

Local Group Policy support for Windows RT ? We can management Windows RT with GPO.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/bruce_adamczak/archive/2012/10/15/follow-me-and-learn-windows-server-2012-group-policy.aspx

So that explains why group policy reference is chock full of windows rt references. Shame they came so far and couldn't get domain join