Galaxy S3 Slow as Hell

Right, I'm a mobile phone nut so I know what to expect out of these high end devices.

I have a Galaxy S3, and over the last two days it has been helish slow. Reding messages today is becoming a problem, and scrolling through my installed apps list in the play store is causing things to freeze.

This is a 4 core model with 1GB RAM (**** all of that is actually available for my use, useless IMO).

I would prefer to steer clear of the hassle of loading a custom ROM, as I really can't be assed navigating the *******s over at XDA who expect me to know every minute detail of the art of rooting and loading ROMs and Kernals.

I never had this issue with my SG Nexus or One X, or my S2 for that matter. Just my S3.

I have attempted reboots, app updates, and software updates (There are none until Vodafone give me Jelly Bean).

I use Go SMS for my messages because I use Emoji as my partner has an iPhone and I'm just the cute. :rofl:

Any ideas guys? Or should I just bite the bullet and custom ROM it up? If so, can anyone recommend a decent ROM, preferably something that has easy to follow instructions. And by helpful instructions, if it states "We'll assume you know how to X", I don't find it helpful.

I also need the ROM to have TouchWiz on it. Because I actually like it. A lot.

Dude why dont you use custom roms? The GS3 was the first phone I rooted and used custom roms. AOKP roms are the best. I enjoy having up to 20 hours of battery life on a daily use and it never lags. Heck I can help you step by step too.

• Like 2

Alright. I'll find a ROM I like.

What's currently the best backup software? I want everything to be the same after my wipe.

I think Titanium Backup is the way to go. Although when you restore apps on the free version i think you have to manually press the install button for each app. And just in case, you can usually export stuff like SMS messages from the messaging app itself.

Now I'm back to being confused again with Android. I'm not 100% what device I'm running, given XDA only lists American providers.

I would assume I have the AT&T version as I have an 850 model. However, I know there are also different hardware specs in the US.

I have a GT9300T purchased via Vodafone Australia.

i would try to find the cause of lagging first instead of advancing for a complete format and firmware upgrade; when it lags can you see what process is causing? or it's lagging all the time? is the internal store almost full?

i would try to find the cause of lagging first instead of advancing for a complete format and firmware upgrade; when it lags can you see what process is causing? or it's lagging all the time? is the internal store almost full?

I have looked. It lags even after I've killed all running applications. And no, it's only around 60%.

For you Nashy: http://forum.xda-dev...play.php?f=1563

That appears to be your phone. It's the international build and to the best of my knowledge is the phone you have. The T at the end indicates a different modem (cellular modem) in the phone. There's some conversation on what to do about it in that thread and others.

Source and further reading for you (I'd suggest the first 15 pages or so just to be safe): http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1683668

I 100% guarantee you that your rom is the cause of the retardation. Or rather whatever ways your provider has messed it up. The S3 is by no means a slow phone.

Flashing a phone is a doddle, and if I were you I'd look towards CyanogenMod or an AOKP based rom.

All the stuff about needing touchwiz and not wanting to blah blah blah is window dressing. you either stick with what you have or use a custom rom.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1703488

This thing won't do a thing. The phone now states 4 custom binaries have been loaded, yet nothing I've done has installed CWM as it has supposed to, nor has any root been completed on the phone. Odin completes, but the phone doesn't show any signs of being touched, except on the counter.

New cable and all is well.

I'm going with Android HD Revolution, as it's the ROM I have chosen for most of my other devices, and I can keep it looking like the phone I bought. Unlike a lot of people, I prefer to keep my phones looking like I got them from the box, and I don't have an issue with the stock launchers.

Thanks everyone for helping out.

I have an S3 that I am curious to try CM on, but I want to wait until JB is pushed out to it first.

It's definitely not a slow device - especially when compared to my old Galaxy S or my Wife's Galaxy W.

I'll be very interested in the comparison if you do flash your device.

I am planning on putting CM on my old Galaxy S this weekend - currently running GB.

If I can get this working OK then the Galaxy W will be next :)

For you Nashy: http://forum.xda-dev...play.php?f=1563

That appears to be your phone. It's the international build and to the best of my knowledge is the phone you have. The T at the end indicates a different modem (cellular modem) in the phone. There's some conversation on what to do about it in that thread and others.

Source and further reading for you (I'd suggest the first 15 pages or so just to be safe): http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1683668

Just a warning there, the T models are usually specified for the Telstra network

Just a warning there, the T models are usually specified for the Telstra network

It just uses the Telstra 850 modem as far as I'm aware. This was sold to me by Vodafone.

I have an S3 that I am curious to try CM on, but I want to wait until JB is pushed out to it first.

It's definitely not a slow device - especially when compared to my old Galaxy S or my Wife's Galaxy W.

I'll be very interested in the comparison if you do flash your device.

I am planning on putting CM on my old Galaxy S this weekend - currently running GB.

If I can get this working OK then the Galaxy W will be next :)

Dude you need to really try AOPK rom. It contains Jellybean and is stable enough to use everyday!

Nashy: the S3 isn't a slow phone; in fact I've never seen one slowing like others mid-range / low-range droids do. So i blame the ROM you are using, because that specific ROM probably borked your phone. I know this because i have two Galaxy Aces from different operators and the ROMs were different (GB 2.3.5 both but with different kernels and baseband); one of them was fast and the other had some lag once in a while; the one the was lagging i upgraded to CM10 (jellaxy) and it's superfast, more than the other Ace. So yeah, if it isn't a hardware problem it's the ROM. I would recommend that you hard reset your phone and see if it's still lagging; if it is and it's still guaranty covered than it's time to swap that phone; if it isn't then install CM10 on it: you won't be missing TouchWiz much.

I've never understood why everyone wants CyanogenMod on their Android devices- every time I've used it, it's been buggy and slow. I'd have a look around on the XDA forums for a good one because CyanogenMod is most likely not the best ROM available for your device. Especially CM10.

I have a look around on the S3 section and I especially like the sound of this ROM; if I had an S3, I'd install this right away! http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1708371

EDIT: And yes, haha, I am a hypocrite because I have CM9 on my phone now...but I'm telling you now, it's the buggiest POS ROM I've used on this phone by a long shot. It's slower than stock on my Nexus 7 as w

Dude why dont you use custom roms? The GS3 was the first phone I rooted and used custom roms. AOKP roms are the best. I enjoy having up to 20 hours of battery life on a daily use and it never lags. Heck I can help you step by step too.

****! Help me lol. I have the S3 and I want to install a custom ROM. I rooted my Evo but haven't tried the S3 yet. If you can point me to a step by step I would appreciate it.

I use Go SMS for my messages because I use Emoji as my partner has an iPhone and I'm just the cute. :rofl:

There's your problem right there. Go SMS has become incredibly bloated and slow. A LOT of people are complaining about it.

I got rid of all the Go apps and my phone stopped being slow.

Welcome to the Android world.

trolling, because i have clients that had iphones that, because of some quirks (and not even Apple support could even fix it), lost productivity or a deal.

Moral of the story: if you depend on technology, some day, more or less, it will fail on you. When you most need it.

****! Help me lol. I have the S3 and I want to install a custom ROM. I rooted my Evo but haven't tried the S3 yet. If you can point me to a step by step I would appreciate it.

I believe this will work on your phone: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1703488
  • Like 1

The problem Android has is the slow updates are caused by different phone models that required by different carriers, then each model needs to be tested with their apps and that's not even counting the fact even before they get the phone Samsung needs to test their Touchwiz crap.

The pure Android experience (ASOP) or CM10 is the best way to go.