World's cheapest car coming to the U.S.A.

Americans will soon get the chance to buy what is generally considered the world?s most inexpensive automobile. But considering the safety problems experienced by the little Tata Nano ? which has received only a mixed reception in its home Indian market ? it?s anyone?s guess whether U.S. motorists will say yes or no-no to the microcar.

The Nano is the work of Tata, one of India?s biggest industrial conglomerates and parent to a carmaking division with aggressive global aspirations. Along with the homegrown Tata brand it also owns both the British Jaguar and Land Rover marques.

There?s no confusing their products, however. The original Tata Nano is a step up from a motor scooter, with only the most minimal creature comforts and a severe lacking of safety features, as well, according to critics.

The U.S. version will have to meet federal laws, of course, which would mandate the addition of such niceties as airbags and electronic stability control. And the engine may get a little boost from the basic 37 horsepower that it makes in India.

From the Indian base of around $3,500 speculation suggests the Tata Nano might be bumped up to as much as $10,000 in the States.

more

post-37120-0-52612400-1350488233.jpg

Very skeptical that they will be able to meet NHTSA requirements for crash testing etc. Also very skeptical in general, since Indian companies/goverment tend to announce things quite ofter that never actually happen, I take the stance of "believe it when I see it".

$10k for a coffin on wheels is crazy expensive.

I don't think that's far off a regular coffin anyway. So might as well have it mobile. It's also no worse than a smart car.
  • Like 1

It's all fun and games until you get rammed by one of these and splattered across the pavement:

wheels-platinum-blog480.jpg

That truck would fall apart on impact.

You'd need a Dodge:

blacksrt10.jpg

:p

Ugly car, would not touch it.

It's all fun and games until you get rammed by one of these and splattered across the pavement:

And it's exactly that attitude which makes the US the most wasteful country on the planet in terms of natural resources. (Y)

Might as well go with an ATV then.

Just as "safe" if you know what and where you're riding it, but much cheaper, better looking and surely tons more fun to drive.

I know I enjoyed my ATV tour in Idaho back then, it's so much fun it hardly compares to anything.

Glassed Silver:mac

That truck would fall apart on impact.

You'd need a Dodge:

blacksrt10.jpg

:p

Ugly car, would not touch it.

I think this would do more damage

Bentley-Continental-GT-.jpg

• Like 1

And it's exactly that attitude which makes the US the most wasteful country on the planet in terms of natural resources. (Y)

As opposed to a nation that has to pay to bring in their oil and has greater than HALF the price of fuel (ALL fuel - including diesel fuel) eaten by the bureaucracy - in short, the price in Europe is where it is basically by government fiat (as opposed to by Fiat S.p.A). There are HOW many refineries physically located within the UK?

Envious much?

from the looks it has LED Lighting, the doors are space saving and the owner of TATA is one of the richest person in the world. he bought Jaguar and Land Rover. the first car he made in India was catered to the locals for they reallly do not need much except to get form point A to B. the american markey is a bit differnet by feets instead of inches.

As opposed to a nation that has to pay to bring in their oil and has greater than HALF the price of fuel (ALL fuel - including diesel fuel) eaten by the bureaucracy - in short, the price in Europe is where it is basically by government fiat (as opposed to by Fiat S.p.A). There are HOW many refineries physically located within the UK?

Envious much?

Envious of what?

Envious of what?

Because us Europeans are wasting less resources for the same service (getting around actually) and similar money.

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1