Touch Keyboard toolbar won't go away

Just picked up my new XPS laptop today, clean installed Windows 8, and everything is running great except for one thing...

I can't get the touch keyboard toolbar to go away, I uncheck it via "right click on taskbar > toolbar > uncheck touch keyboard".

post-3351-0-69607400-1350530474.png

After I reboot it comes back.

Any ideas on how to permanently disable this? My screen isn't touch capable, and it's just taking up space.

Using the RTM version of 8.

Thanks!

I think I figured it out, looks like it's the synaptics touchpad. If I disable it, the touch keyboard doesn't show up. Not sure how I'll tackle this yet, as when it's disabled I can't scroll with my touchpad.

Hold on! Wait! The reason this might be because the latest synaptic touch pad have special multitouch capabilities for Windows 8. Some Windows 7 users may be getting it. With Multi-touch, keyboard button is always visible. Either Windows thinks it has multi touch pads, or you actually do. With the latest version of your synaptic touch pad, try swiping from the right edge and see if Charms appear. Try swiping from the left to see if you can switch between Metro-Style apps.

• 3 months later...