Chris Pirillo's Dad With Windows 8 Part 2 - The Untold Story

win8

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 19 October 2012 - 19:25

<p>This is the full story of the infamous video "How real people will use Windows 8". The original video only shows a part of the entire experience. Chris Pirillo's father is a very intelligent and patient man. While he did have difficulties initially with Windows 8, he keeps at it and learns his way through navigating Windows 8. He also discovers some neat apps along the way! Enjoy!

Full credit for the production of this video goes to Chris Pirillo. This video is an excerpt from "TLDR: Clones, Parallels, Marketing, and Masterminds".

#2 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 19 October 2012 - 20:26

like around 8 minutes to get back to the boxes... LOL

#3 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 October 2012 - 20:40

This totally changes the whole result of the video. Nice editing, Chris. I wonder why he released the whole thing?

#4 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 19 October 2012 - 21:12

I like the ah ha moment at 16:30. I also didn't notice how many problems the VM was causing him on the Mac.

#5 CentralDogma

CentralDogma

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 October 2012 - 21:21

Is this the dark second act of the Chris Pirillo's Dad With Windows 8 trilogy?

Can’t wait for the action packed conclusion: Chris Pirillo's Dad With Windows 8 Episode III – Return of the Windows 7

:rofl:

#6 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 19 October 2012 - 21:28

Who gives a ****? I hate Windows 8 as much as the next guy, but even I know this isn't representative of the entire consumer base. **** off, Pirillo.

#7 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 19 October 2012 - 21:32

Chris Pirillo's father is a very intelligent and patient man.

I'll give you the patient part of the statement. That is all.

#8 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 19 October 2012 - 21:48

In 15 minutes, his father goes from knowing nothing about Windows 8 to doing a decent job with it - with absolutely no help or direction. He spends most of that time trying to discover features that are shown in the quick tutorial that is included as part of the install process in the RTM version.

Not too bad. My mother picked it up much quicker than him and loves it, but she has a Windows Phone and I showed her a few tips and tricks before abandoning her to Windows 8. Chris just throws him in the deep end, and his father only takes a short while to learn to swim. Point out a few shortcuts to him, and he might actually like it.

At 22:05:

Once you know, it gets easier. So in just the few minutes that I've done, I've learned quite a bit.

#9 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:40

In 15 minutes, his father goes from knowing nothing about Windows 8 to doing a decent job with it - with absolutely no help or direction. He spends most of that time trying to discover features that are shown in the quick tutorial that is included as part of the install process in the RTM version.

Not too bad. My mother picked it up much quicker than him and loves it, but she has a Windows Phone and I showed her a few tips and tricks before abandoning her to Windows 8. Chris just throws him in the deep end, and his father only takes a short while to learn to swim. Point out a few shortcuts to him, and he might actually like it.

At 22:05:

Exactly this. I gave my mother my old tablet PC with Windows 8 on it and she was using it in no time. Told her the start is in that corner, charms are here, metro app switcher here. Get to desktop by clicking desktop. No problems.
I Just got another new tablet and gave my dad my old latitude XT3. He wasn't at home when I left it with my mother. He hasn't used Windows 8 yet and was using it just fine when I stopped by the next day. Maybe my mother pointed some stuff out to him but he was on the desktop using IE just like he normally does.

#10 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:43

How is he intelligent if it took him this long? It took my mom and grandma (both don't know squat about computers) about half hour, maybe an hour to be completely comfortable with windows 8. The fact so called "Tech People" on this site find it at all difficult or confusing me makes me doubt said ability.

#11 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:44

So why didn't he initially release the whole thing?

#12 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:48

So why didn't he initially release the whole thing?

He did. The full length video has been out for some time now. There are post here on Neowin about it as well. I even commented about how the full video played out. I'll go dig a bit. But, depending on how many pages of threads I have to dig through will either cause my motivation for this task to wax or wane.

#13 suprNOVA

suprNOVA

devSquad

• Phone: Galaxy Note III

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:55

I hate the fact that he doesn't take into account that there will be some tutorial on how to navigate windows 8 when the computer will first turned on, when it hits retail. Because when his dad goes into desktop rnvironmeng , Chris should have told him what to do. now I am just testing my galaxy to see if it actually records my voice because this would be f****** amazing ohh my God it works

guys as we speak I'm using my galaxy to make this message what the f*** juut this is on real I'm just saying whatever I want holy guys get a galaxy or any on my God this is crazy guysas I know this is so random but I was on this post so you I love you I don't know diceare why I said I love you but I don't know but anyway this is kind of like going out now so I'm going to piece it peace what the f*** why why do they do at the start okay anyway peace guys

#14 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:00

My dad has no clue how to use windows 7 either, he probably wouldn't even notice anything changed if I put W8 on his computer.

#15 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 21 October 2012 - 23:56

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!