Justice League (2015)

The ultimate superhero showdown looks to be in the works, as Warner Bros. is now hoping to release their DC Justice League film in 2015, the same year Marvel has slated Joss Whedon?s The Avengers 2. Warner Bros.? superhero team-up is still without a director, after rumors that they approached Ben Affleck to take the helm were debunked by the actor himself. But with The Avengers making over a billion dollars, they?re ready to get their own superhero mash-up on the big screen as quickly as possible.

Per the LA Times, Warners is hoping to shoot Justice League next year and release it in the summer of 2015. A script is already in the works by Will Beall, but their efforts are now focused on attaching a director and putting together a cast. The fate of the project was surrounded by uncertainty due to a recent legal case over the rights to Superman, but yesterday the decision came down in favor of WB and the studio has now hit the ground running.

http://collider.com/justice-league-movie-release-date-2015/204486/

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59172

Justice League film moves ahead, eyes Summer 2015 release!

With the recent legal win for Warner Bros, allowing them to keep using Superman in film, the studio is moving full speed ahead on casting and crewing up their Justice League movie.

The LA Times has a story with an anonymous source tells them that with Superman free and clear, the studio aims to shoot next year and release Summer 2015, which would put it close to Avengers 2, which already has a May 1st, 2015 date set.

The other interesting thing about the article is that it confirms there won't be many build up films, which is the tried and true Marvel template, and their "reboot" of Batman won't happen until AFTER the Justice League movie. That means whoever the new Batman is (if it's not Joseph Gordon-Levitt) will be introduced to the public in Justice League.

>

Justice%20League%20anime.jpg

^^

There is that. Getting the Superman license was only step one...

now the movie has to succeed. And by succeed, I mean get people

giving a damn about Superman again.

I just don't have any hope this will be good, I want it to be though because something different then Marvel is always good to see

• 1 month later...
According to Latino Review, the villain in Justice League will be Darkseid.

One of, if not the, most powerful villain in the DC Universe, Darkseid is an immortal, invulnerable, pretty-much all-powerful God who has been causing trouble for Superman and others for decades. You can read all about the character on his official DC page.

If this news if it?s true (and, with the Latino Review guys, it usually is) two things strike me as note worthy. First, Warner Bros. is planning on using one of their biggest and baddest villains right from the beginning. Darkseid is the Thanos of the DC Universe, one of the grand daddies of them all, and using him in the first film is like pinch hitting your best home run hitter in the first inning with no one on base. It?s a waste. Marvel was smart enough to save Thanos for something like 10 movies in (by the time we really get to see him) and even films like Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk didn?t use the character?s primary adversary. They milked it. Took their time. If the Justice League fight a God right off the bat, won?t any other villains in the canon will feel insignificant?

The second thing is that the DC Cinematic Universe is immediately going cosmic, a big risk considering what?s worked in the past. Most of the successful Warner Bros. DC movies have been incredibly grounded (think Christopher Nolan?s Dark Knight movies) and Man of Steel, which Nolan produced, is supposed to continue that trend. That?s the tried and true formula.

http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-the-villain-of-justice-league-has-been-revealed/

Darkseid is the one villan big and bad enough to really work for a JL movie IMO. I dunno of anyone else who could be powerful enough to bring the JL together etc. Either way, not every individual JL member movie has to be great, they can have a few that are meh but still pull of a good JL movie. Avengers was great but I mean come on, if it wasn't for RDJ and his Tony Stark it'd have been meh. The first thor movie was meh, the first captain america movie was so-so. Hulk? Those two hulk movies have all but been forgoten. Lots of people don't like Iron Man 2 as well.

Long story short a JL movie can be great even with a bad GL movie, and whatever else they can do with the others.

I hope the Flash is good. If they can get Flash right this movie will be a winner. I love his character in the JL cartoon.

The Flash is the weakness in the JL I always felt

The article makes an excellent point about using Darkseid from the get go. I'm curious about what their other options are. I have a limited knowledge on this, but it seems Superboy/Superman Prime would be a good choice since he's at least twice as strong (IIRC) as Superman. Introducing him means going into the multiverse thoiugh, and that could just get a bit crazy for a single film to juggle. That would open up the door for an Anti-Monitor appearance, however. Darkseid from the start just sets future films up for possible disappointment because, you know, it's Darkseid, who really compares? Maybe a Blackest Night event, but that's a very broadly affecting event that just might be too much for a movie.

I wonder if they're going to make any compromises like leaving out a character or two (e.g. Ant-Man in The Avengers). At first, I thought it was odd to introduce a major villain like Darkseid right away. Then I thought of the potential it would create for prequels. I think they could use that to give characters a proper introduction after the first Justice League movie.

I hope the upcoming Man of Steel movie is related. It's about time Superman is portrayed in a more realistic way. I love superheroes but one thing that always bothered me about Superman was his ability to remain "good" (and see the "goodness" of humanity) in the various TV shows and movies he appeared in. I don't read comic books and I'm sure they've portrayed him differently but it's not the same as bringing the character to life on a screen.

Anyway, it'd be great if that movie was tied into the Justice League universe.

The Flash is the weakness in the JL I always felt

He is good at comic relief. He was a little too goofy in JL but they need to use him comically in the movie, I think. The rest of the League are the big guys. I can't see them being comic relief.

I still kinda remember the old flash tv series. It wasn't that bad, unless i'm just remembering it wrong. :p

According to Latino Review, Justice League will be based on some part on issues #183 ? 185 of Justice League America. Per Latino Review:

In a nutshell, plotwise, the three issue arc involves Darkseid planning the destruction of Earth by blasting it with a ray that?ll move Apokolips (Darkseid?s planet) into the Earth?s place.

http://collider.com/justice-league-movie-comic-book-source-material/217680/

The Flash is a plot hole in the whole JL thing. He can move faster than superman, to the point of molecular passthrough, time travel, and deminsional travel. He could basically go anywhere and stop anything before anything ever had a chance to get started. His character is a hard character to sell. You just cant get a perfect medium with a character like that. You either make him only run fast which makes him one of the weakest, or you make him one of the most powerful.

At least with superman, he has a weakness and other sorts of things that you can put in his way. But with the flash, you have either punny or ultra, nothing in between that will work. IMHO.

Maybe they should have him be at his max power, but just somehow have soooo much he has to do, that his energy just wouldn't hold up.... but again, he would be a very powerful peice/

According to Latino Review, Justice League will be based on some part on issues #183 ? 185 of Justice League America. Per Latino Review:

http://collider.com/justice-league-movie-comic-book-source-material/217680/

That was a really good series; Crisis on New Genesis, Apokolips Now and Darkseid Rising. It brings in the Injustice Society, Kal-El and Kal-L, Dr. Fate and a host of others.

Basically, teams are formed consisting of one JLA member, one JSA member and one "New God" from New Genesis.

• 3 weeks later...
As we get closer to actual news about the upcoming Justice League film, be prepared for lots of rumors to circulate. Recently, two stories began to make the rounds that both the villain and the plot for the film had been revealed, but those haven't been confirmed by Warner Bros. Now, alleged details on the characters and team for the film have surfaced (via Cosmic Book News).

? Superman is essentially the same character from Man of Steel, and Zack Snyder is consulting regarding the writing of the character.

? Batman: The strategist of the group. Batman doesn't really want to be involved with these super powered beings he considers too powerful. Easily the most complex written.

? Wonder Woman: She has only been in man's world a few short months. The Wonder Woman script Michael Goldenberg is developing will be set before the Justice League movie.

? Green Lantern: Will be Ryan Reynold's character from the Green Lantern movie, but will be freshly written with a more serious tone.

? Flash: The most popular hero in civilian eyes who loves media attention, but when called upon is very serious.

? Martian Manhunter: Alien who has lived on Earth in secret for over a hundred years who has knowledge of Darkseid and his reign.

? Aquaman: Will be the King of Atlantis who has a key role in the film.

? There will also be a heavy military presence in the film which in future rewrites could include characters featured in Man of Steel or even Amanda Waller (Angela Bassett) of which neither are included in the first draft.

? Alfred Pennyworth is in the film in a minor appearance.

? Lois Lane is also in the film in a cameo.

? Darkseid's Elite will be featured who go up against the Justice League early on in the film.

Most of these are already a given for the individual characters and this is the first that we're hearing of Aquaman and Martian Manhunter appearing in the film. Treat these strictly as a rumor for now as we may not know the cast of the film for quite some time.

No director is currently attached to the film, but Will Beall (Gangster Squad) is writing the script.