• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#76 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• 680 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 21 October 2012 - 16:43

I liked all Windows versions except for ME and Vista. ME was garbage and Vista was just awful and hard to get used to. Windows 7 is absolutely awsome and I loved it right from the start, since even before it was released I used it, and everything I love about it isn't in Windows 8, so I won't be downgrading to Windows 8.

Er... what? So, you're saying you really only loved the Start Button and Menu then?

#77 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 21 October 2012 - 17:51

How was vista hard to get used to? it's not too far off from xp and 7 so far as UI navigation is concerned.

#78 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,019 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:25

The disruptive way of working is what sucks about Windows 8. With everything Microsoft have done they want to try and make apps behave more consistently, but by doing that they've completely forgot that apps have to do different things.

As it's been said before, the Wikipedia app is a brilliant example. You don't use Wikipedia to browse things and jump between pages all the time, you mostly use it to search for things. To search you need a search bar. Hiding behind too many clicks is just ridiculous. An app that's meant to be searched needs a good search bar.

And it's like that with pretty much all the apps. Moving actions to the charms bar might be good for touch devices but is extremely stupid for anything with a mouse or touchpad. Having to move your mouse aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way to the upper right corner and then down again every time you want to do something like that is annoying as hell. I've tried Windows 8 on my laptop using my touchpad (which I love in Windows 7), but with Windows 8 it's just horrible.

#79 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,163 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:34

To search you need a search bar. Hiding behind too many clicks is just ridiculous.

Too many clicks!? Search is only one click away, dude.

Having to move your mouse aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way to the upper right corner and then down again every time you want to do something like that is annoying as hell. I've tried Windows 8 on my laptop using my touchpad (which I love in Windows 7), but with Windows 8 it's just horrible.

You do have a few choices here, WIN+C will invoke the Charms bar, alternatively, it's not that much of a chore to throw your mouse into the corner. Complaining about it makes you looks idiotic, I hate to say it, but even on high resolution monitors, it's not a big deal. Tweak your mouse tracking if you need to. You could also invest in a cheap mouse. Laptop trackpads are a pain in the ass, no matter what OS you're using.

#80 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,454 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:36

The disruptive way of working is what sucks about Windows 8. With everything Microsoft have done they want to try and make apps behave more consistently, but by doing that they've completely forgot that apps have to do different things.

As it's been said before, the Wikipedia app is a brilliant example. You don't use Wikipedia to browse things and jump between pages all the time, you mostly use it to search for things. To search you need a search bar. Hiding behind too many clicks is just ridiculous. An app that's meant to be searched needs a good search bar.

And it's like that with pretty much all the apps. Moving actions to the charms bar might be good for touch devices but is extremely stupid for anything with a mouse or touchpad. Having to move your mouse aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way to the upper right corner and then down again every time you want to do something like that is annoying as hell. I've tried Windows 8 on my laptop using my touchpad (which I love in Windows 7), but with Windows 8 it's just horrible.

You do have choices though. First of all you could continue to use your Windows 8 in exactly the same way as you use Windows 7 and then you'd find that it's ultimately the same. Alternatively, if you choose to run Metro apps you could use keyboard shortcuts to access the charms without having to move your mouse.

Personally, I think it makes sense to move the search function to the Charms bar so it appears in a common location for all apps and frees up space within apps for content.

#81 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,534 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:51

How was vista hard to get used to? it's not too far off from xp and 7 so far as UI navigation is concerned.

for one, some OEMs really liked to **** with some of the setting (mostly the default personalization settings and some explorer settings). and the vista personalization center was really not very good

those are the main things i personally didn't like about vista

#82 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,155 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:12

Update your drivers and your charms will be a swipe away (swipe in from the right on modern touchpads and it will show the charms bar)

Same gesture as on a tablet. And seriously, all you have to do is move your mouse a little further. Increase the sensitivity, I can put my mouse anywhere on the screen I want to instantly.

#83 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,019 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:17

Yes, I know about all of these things, and they make sense for touch-based devices. But I still think metro apps just aren't suited for desktop/laptop use as well as the regular Windows interface (as it is in 7) are. I also know you can use Windows 8 just like Windows 7 and I wouldn't mind using it that way, but it's still not what Microsoft 'meant' for us to do and that's what I don't like. They seem so focused on catching up in tablet and mobile markets that they're forgetting the vast majority of Windows users will always be in the desktop category.

#84 fixxxer2014

fixxxer2014

A1 poster

• 7,391 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:21

i can't wait for the 26th to come. the internet is going to explode after people see how w8 is on a non touchscreen device.

#85 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• 680 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 21 October 2012 - 21:02

i can't wait for the 26th to come. the internet is going to explode after people see how w8 is on a non touchscreen device.

Explode in a good way? I agree. ;)

#86 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 9,810 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 21:16

Wikipedia app has been updated to support search as you type.

#87 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,163 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 October 2012 - 21:20

They seem so focused on catching up in tablet and mobile markets that they're forgetting the vast majority of Windows users will always be in the desktop category.

The vast majority of Windows users are forgotten... not by Microsoft, but by developers. Seriously, nothing new has come for Windows in a while. That's a red flag that something's wrong, bro. That's a red flag, that times are changing, and maybe, just maybe, it's time to change with them.

#88 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,584 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 21:44

You do have choices though. First of all you could continue to use your Windows 8 in exactly the same way as you use Windows 7 and then you'd find that it's ultimately the same. Alternatively, if you choose to run Metro apps you could use keyboard shortcuts to access the charms without having to move your mouse.

Personally, I think it makes sense to move the search function to the Charms bar so it appears in a common location for all apps and frees up space within apps for content.

Absolutely true, jakem.

I moved lock, stock, and barrel to Windows 8 from Windows 7 (on a desktop, no less) - and was able to do it painlessly largely because I had far less to unlearn.

If you're used to the power mouser's playground that the Start menu had devolved into, you are going to have a major UNLEARNING CURVE ahead of you (unless you use something like Classic Shell or Start8).

You can actually add the Search functionality to the *desktop* simply by adding the Address Bar to the Taskbar (ala 7) or do it the really easy way - search via the StartScreen itself (if you're looking for a short cut to any application, applet, or utility - Modern UI or not) by tapping the Windows logo key.

Searching via the StartScreen is easier (for me) because I'm generally searching for something that is neither on my desktop OR in my presorted files by data-type; therefore, it's a seldom used app, applet, or game.

Presorted data types? Pretty much any download manager WILL offer to sort your downloads by file-type, and the one I use (Internet Download Manager) is no exception. Even better, those same download management utilities will also accept the default locations in Windows (that didn't change with Windows 8).

The real issue with migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is more the unlearning curve than the learning curve.

#89 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,584 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 21:52

Explode in a good way? I agree. ;)

Do you honestly think that ALL Windows users need mice that much?

That Windows users are basically married to the Start menu?

The Start menu CAN be unlearned; back in the early days of Start8, I DID actually try it (I had already demoted Windows 7 to VM duty) and loathed it, and it had absolutely diddly to do with ModernUI or ModernUI apps. It acted and felt like both a hack AND a poor fit - if anything, it felt worse than OS X Mountain Lion (which I dual-booted with at one point on the same hardware). If you're THAT married to the Start menu, than Windows 8, plainly, is not for you.

#90 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,874 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 21 October 2012 - 22:01

There it is with the keyboard shortcuts. Fine for geeks, but MOST consumers know nothing about them, so that's not really a good answer.

Could care less about "most consumers" !

if there is a lot of hate, I'll buy it. Usually when there is hate it means dumbasses are shooting off because the experience wasn't spoonfed to them in a simpleton manner. Therefore it'll be something splendid to behold for the intelligent among us. See, there are various levels of user. Those who create and program the OS (god tier). Those who program for the OS (upper echelons). Those who understand how to build a computer and install the OS themselves. Then use it reasonably successfully for years with no problems. (middle tier).

Then there are types of user who think it's cool to install 10 toolbars on Internet Explorer (which they only know by the name "the big E") and then complain that it's slow. Or who do nothing but post dribble on facebook all day - often about how ****ty aforementioned day in their life is. The sorts of people who need help with every task who then mess it up and then need help to fix all their **** ups anyway. Frankly, these "consumers" can GTFO.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!