Photo

Is Neowin under attack from a Viral Marketing firm?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:02

I have noticed that there have been a lot of comments on the Neowin news articles vehemently supporting Windows 8, while in the Forums there seems to be some optimism about the platform, but not to the same degree as the News comments and the arguments seem to be fairly balanced for/against arguments rather than just blind support (eg: "I bet you are wrong."... but no justification for it).

Upon further inspection, I've noticed that most of these users that are doing this, have 1 post or very low post counts, but none of their posts come up in search because they have all been made in News articles, none of their posts were made on the Forums, so it obscures their background (as Neowin's search engine doesn't cover news comments).

I have a strong suspicion that the reason for this pattern is because Neowin is being attacked by a Viral Marketing firm with a pro-Windows 8 agenda.

Could the Neowin admins please investigate this and see if there are any patterns regarding their IP address, browser, comment history etc. to see if this is the case?

#2 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:11

I have noticed that there have been a lot of comments on the Neowin news articles vehemently supporting Windows 8, while in the Forums there seems to be some optimism about the platform, but not to the same degree as the News comments and the arguments seem to be fairly balanced for/against arguments rather than just blind support (eg: "I bet you are wrong."... but no justification for it).

Upon further inspection, I've noticed that most of these users that are doing this, have 1 post or very low post counts, but none of their posts come up in search because they have all been made in News articles, none of their posts were made on the Forums, so it obscures their background (as Neowin's search engine doesn't cover news comments).

I have a strong suspicion that the reason for this pattern is because Neowin is being attacked by a Viral Marketing firm with a pro-Windows 8 agenda.

Could the Neowin admins please investigate this and see if there are any patterns regarding their IP address, browser, comment history etc. to see if this is the case?

Logic would suggest that it is because the news page is the homepage, and comments are more likely to be made there than in the forums.

#3 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:13

I post more in the articles than the forums I'd say. I have an intimidating 0.36 post per day average, if anyone wants to throw some viral money my way just let me know.

#4 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:14

Gee, now that you mention it, this all makes sense.

I had this notion that the high-profile and imminent releases of several huge Microsoft products including Surface, Office 2013 (RT), Windows 8, and WP8 has drawn considerable interest and perhaps prompted new users to visit NeoWIN and register. But that seems a bit far-fetched now that I think about it.

#5 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:19

Its coming out this week. so yeah there will be a ton of news. Wait a week for apple news to fill the feed.

#6 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:29

Its coming out this week. so yeah there will be a ton of news. Wait a week for apple news to fill the feed.

He didn't say news, he said comments...

#7 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:30

Shills / Astroturfers are nothing new. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if many are paid posters. As you say, the ratio of front page opinion is disproportionately in favour of Windows 8 compared to the forums.

Just recently on Reddit, posts criticising the Surface's resolution were downrated.

#8 Shane Ekanayake

Shane Ekanayake

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:46

so if ppl like windows 8 or surface itz becoz they ar paid to do so
wow :D

#9 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:49

so if ppl like windows 8 or surface itz becoz they ar paid to do so
wow :D

Thats something new right? I was thinking the same exact thing. :D

#10 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:49

Nah, just another tinfoil hat conspiracy theory. People probably signed up, had a look around, posted once or twice and bailed. Doubt it's anything you'd need to hire a PI for. :rolleyes:

#11 Shane Ekanayake

Shane Ekanayake

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:57

damn microsoft i want my money that u promised if i liked windows 8 :jump:

#12 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:15

Well, it's obvious that they're paid posters. One of the world's largest companies couldn't possibly make something that people might like. The horror! ;)

#13 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:27

My own personal conspiracy theory do support this post. I do believe a lot of Microsoft employee is being told to falsify a lot of things to gain market share. And I think they use Neowin as their leverage to their market. Heck, Microsoft might be planning to buy Neowin web site for future investment. :ninja:

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:44

So what about the people with 1-10 posts who's only posts are recent posts, all in the Win8 and Surface news articles comment sections, all talking about how bad it is in some way.

I guess those are just regular people who just want to express their opinion huh ? :rolleyes:

#15 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:01

There isn't equal moderation between Front Page News and the rest of the forums.

Mods tend to unjustly delete anything negative and issue unfair warnings to posts in Front Page News.

This is why you mostly only see supporting comments. Undue censorship. Good job Neowin!