Cloud Gaming Save Service

So I've been making this project for fun. Basically it syncs you game saves in the cloud so you can pick up right where you left off on another system instantly. I'm also going to add an api for developers to integrate with it directly. I don't really expect much out of the project in it's current state but I have other plans for it in the future. This is just for fun for now :) If you want to try it out go to http://www.drslabscorp.com/. You can create an account for free via the program. I added encryption to the exchange of file data between the client and the server and published the beta of it today. Please give me feedback if you try it out! :)

That's really cool, great idea, I have never seen anything like that before. I play mostly online games so no save data for me to test with, but this would be a good system for cloud based backups too.

yeah, it can be used for stuff other then games, just that was its main purpose when I created it for my friends to use. If you want to use it for documents and things like that go for it. Keep in mind this is a beta though, I haven't come across any nasty bugs yet but I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

That's really cool, great idea, I have never seen anything like that before. I play mostly online games so no save data for me to test with, but this would be a good system for cloud based backups too.

For cloud based general file/document backup, people usually use something like Dropbox or Skydrive.

@sathenzar, does it sync via a set of per-game rules, or simply by directory structures?

For cloud based general file/document backup, people usually use something like Dropbox or Skydrive.

@sathenzar, does it sync via a set of per-game rules, or simply by directory structures?

But do those offer live/realtime checks? I'm sure they have an api that when used with a file system watcher it could be done.

This is a cool idea, similar to Steam Cloud (just without needing steam)!

I wish more Game devs would do something similar but then again most of them don't even bother using the Saved Games folder in Vista/7/8. So instead I have some save games in My Documents, some in AppData, some in the game folder itself. It's retarded.

But do those offer live/realtime checks? I'm sure they have an api that when used with a file system watcher it could be done.

In the case of Dropbox, you define a folder that syncs with their servers whenever anything changes in the folder on your computer or on their servers.

In the case of Dropbox, you define a folder that syncs with their servers whenever anything changes in the folder on your computer or on their servers.

Ah okay, similar to G-Drive then.

Ah okay, similar to G-Drive then.

Yup, but Dropbox came first.

Seriously though, there are actually a lot of options for file syncing (Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, SugarSync, SpiderOak, and Wuala, to name a few). Google Drive is actually relatively new, and, while offering more free storage space, is usually cited as inferior to Dropbox. As for the others, I can't really comment.

Yup, but Dropbox came first.

Seriously though, there are actually a lot of options for file syncing (Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, SugarSync, SpiderOak, and Wuala, to name a few). Google Drive is actually relatively new, and, while offering more free storage space, is usually cited as inferior to Dropbox. As for the others, I can't really comment.

Yea. Well, official G-Drive anyways. Back in the XP Days when GMail first launched, there was a GDrive 3rd party app that created a virtual disk drive on your pc that would sync to gmail and when you put the files in it, it would sync with your gmail and send the files as attachments to yourself.

But yea, I was thinking of writing an actual backup style solution. I've been bad with backups, and it bit me on the ass at work. I did a check-disk as Windows wanted me to, due to windows 8 enabling EFI and me saying I wanted to boot into 7.. it didn't like that. Anyways, half my source code and some dll's got messed up, chunks of code were replaced with text from other files, was very strange. Currently doing offline backups.. but an automatic system would be nice.

It does it by directories for now and syncs the file(s) in real time. The nice thing about it is it also has a game detecter in it that will auto detect a game and it's possible default paths (and once it finds it it locks it in unless the user changes it). So setting it up is super easy for games. Again, this is mainly for fun at the moment I have other stages of the project later that could make it more serious. But if you do have a need for something like that feel free to try it out! :)