Jump to content



Photo

Lance Armstrong stripped of all seven Tour de France wins by UCI

cycling doping lance armstrong tour de france

  • Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 matt4pack

matt4pack

    Neowinian

  • 787 posts
  • Joined: 03-December 04

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:01

Yeah but what exactly did a guy like Sosa win ? Lot of homeruns that's about it.


Baseball is a team game and golf isn't.


#122 HawkMan

HawkMan

    Neowinian Senior

  • 21,370 posts
  • Joined: 31-August 04
  • Location: Norway
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:42

?
How would doping help a golfer? :s


it boggles the mind.

Whatever in both cases it's about hitting a ball and hitting the ball farther is beneficial. In baseball it's a homerun and in golf it puts you closer to the hole which lets you put it on the green faster. There's an extra step in golf which is putting but there's also an extra step in baseball which is having to play defense.

Yes it's not about oxygenated blood transfusions from cycling for stamina but growth hormones for more power.

You don't need strength to hit the ball further in Golf. being strong in fact would more hinder you due to the big arms being in the way of the technique. the club does 90% of the work, the way you swing the club to apply the force is the other 10%. Strength... well as long as you're strong enough to lift the club you're strong enough to hit a hole in one.

#123 linsook

linsook

    Neowinian Senior

  • 3,636 posts
  • Joined: 20-August 01

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:09

Well, I just did a quick google search on golf and doping and there seems to be some smoke.

Gary Player: First golfer to suggest mandatory drug testing. Has claimed that there are people on tour taking performance enhancing drugs.
Doug Barron: First golfer to get busted and banned for 1 year.

#124 matt4pack

matt4pack

    Neowinian

  • 787 posts
  • Joined: 03-December 04

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:25

You don't need strength to hit the ball further in Golf. being strong in fact would more hinder you due to the big arms being in the way of the technique. the club does 90% of the work, the way you swing the club to apply the force is the other 10%. Strength... well as long as you're strong enough to lift the club you're strong enough to hit a hole in one.


It's comes down to equipment, technique, and strength for both. Swinging a golf club and swinging a bat are both swinging motions and in both cases hitting the ball farther is beneficial. Yes on Par 3's there is no benefit but on Par 5's guys will try to crush the ball to set up Eagle chances.

In fact in golf it would even be less of a hindrance as they don't have to play defense and run where it would slow you down like what happened to Bonds.

#125 Javik

Javik

    Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

  • 5,885 posts
  • Joined: 21-May 12

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:30

Actually, the conspiracy theory was that the anti-doping agency had manufactured claims against a high profile athlete in order to increase its profile in the industry, bribing other athletes to give false testimony. Given that the USADA is an American organisation there was no implication that Europeans were involved. In fact I'm surprised nobody suggested that Obama was behind it. However, many Americans here refused to believe he was guilty or made excuses for him anyway (i.e. everybody else dopes so he's still a winner, etc) but that's a classic case of confirmation bias.


I've seen people make that accusation, read a few pages back.

#126 LaP

LaP

    Forget about it

  • 5,541 posts
  • Joined: 10-July 06
  • Location: Quebec City, Canada
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:33

In fact in golf it would even be less of a hindrance as they don't have to play defense and run where it would slow you down like what happened to Bonds.


Nobody said drugs did help Bonds to play defensively, run on base or hit for 300.

#127 +hedleigh

hedleigh

    Neowinian

  • 509 posts
  • Joined: 07-June 02
  • Location: Geelong

Posted 15 January 2013 - 23:17

Do you think that he did this because of that? It was an attempt at damage control. Do you actually think that he would have admitted to it if he hadn't have been busted?
The guy is a hypocrite, liar, and a cheat.
He deserves zero respect.


I may have not made it clear that the particular comment you quoted was aimed at his supporters on Neowin, not the man himself. My apologies.
With that, I agree with your sentiments about Armstrong.

#128 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

    ®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

  • 16,886 posts
  • Joined: 31-August 03
  • Location: dirty jersey
  • OS: Win 8 | OS X 10.8.5 | Android 4.2.2
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 15 January 2013 - 23:22

**** Lance Armstrong.
And I could give a rats ass if he did or did not dope.
What I absolutely cannot respect is for how long he vehemently denied the fact that he did.
Zero respect in my book for that alone.

And yes, he did a good thing with his fame and being a cancer survivor. He raised millions upon millions of dollars to help victims of cancer.
While very noble, that is all tainted now as well.

He is a flat out liar.

#129 Growled

Growled

    Neowinian Senior

  • 41,508 posts
  • Joined: 17-December 08
  • Location: USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 23:31

He sure is a liar. He denied it for years and now he says that he did it. He can just go away forever now as far as I am concerned.

#130 Silpheed2K

Silpheed2K

    Neowinian

  • 299 posts
  • Joined: 30-September 05

Posted 16 January 2013 - 00:03

I don't think this really solved anything because there are plenty of juicers in sports, it just never gets mentioned or talked about. This hasn't really done anything besides make an example out of one man, which isn't the right thing to do. I feel if they were going to weed people out they should have looked at everybody they possibly could. All I can really think of is that he must have ****ed somebody off in the wrong place for this to happen to him. It's not like this is a shocking revelation in a world where you have to do anything to win and records get shattered constantly.


edit: really? a synonym for urinating is censored on here?

#131 linsook

linsook

    Neowinian Senior

  • 3,636 posts
  • Joined: 20-August 01

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:37

I don't think this really solved anything because there are plenty of juicers in sports, it just never gets mentioned or talked about. This hasn't really done anything besides make an example out of one man, which isn't the right thing to do. I feel if they were going to weed people out they should have looked at everybody they possibly could. All I can really think of is that he must have ****ed somebody off in the wrong place for this to happen to him. It's not like this is a shocking revelation in a world where you have to do anything to win and records get shattered constantly.


edit: really? a synonym for urinating is censored on here?


You don't see it get talked about as much because they weren't as famous and they didn't do it as successfully nor as ruthlessly. Seven Tour de France titles is a lot. He's not the only one that gets accused, banned, stripped of titles etc... but he is the most famous one. Yes, they try to after everyone. Just looking on wiki, 'doping and Tour de France' and you see how dirty this sport is.

Armstrong has just been stripped of his Olympic bronze he got from the 2000 Sydney games.

#132 deinabog

deinabog

    Neowinian

  • 97 posts
  • Joined: 13-May 03
  • Location: Bronx, NY

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:48

Firstly, the expression is "couldn't care less". Secondly, he didn't win - he was stripped of the titles. Sure he out-raced the other dopers but recognising that is like giving a kid an award for good behaviour because they only stabbed three other class mates, rather than four or five.

I think the attitude expressed by many Americans here highlights the real cultural issue - that it's considered better to cheat and win (even if that award is later stripped from you and you are disgraced) than to play fair and come second. It's a very arrogant philosophy but it's rife in US sports and culture in general. It reminds me of the US coach during the 2012 Olympics who accused a Chinese athlete of cheating even though there was absolutely no evidence to support it - it's the mentality that nobody could possibly beat them legitimately therefore they must be cheating. It's simply bad sportsmanship.


Absolutely agree.

#133 ahhell

ahhell

    Neowinian Senior

  • 8,896 posts
  • Joined: 30-June 03
  • Location: Winnipeg - coldest place on Earth - yeah

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:56

**** Lance Armstrong.
And I could give a rats ass if he did or did not dope.
What I absolutely cannot respect is for how long he vehemently denied the fact that he did.
Zero respect in my book for that alone.

And yes, he did a good thing with his fame and being a cancer survivor. He raised millions upon millions of dollars to help victims of cancer.
While very noble, that is all tainted now as well.

He is a flat out liar.

Actually, if you look into the finances of Livestrong most of the money that they brought in went to Lance and his shameless self-promotion.
So basically, he's an all around ****ty person.

#134 linsook

linsook

    Neowinian Senior

  • 3,636 posts
  • Joined: 20-August 01

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:46

http://ownspecial.op...earmstrong.html

part 1 of interview starts at 9pm est

#135 macstar

macstar

    Neowinian Senior

  • 2,493 posts
  • Joined: 19-January 03
  • OS: Kubuntu 14.04 x64
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 18 January 2013 - 22:35

gonna watch part 2 tonight but i dont expect lance to offer us anything new...



Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!