Is There Any Way To Show That An Issue Has Been Resolved?

I see a lot of threads where people are asking for advice with hardware or software and usually the good folks here on Neowin help the OP to get their problem sorted but once it has been resolved people keep replying to the thread with more and more advice. I know that really people should read through the whole topic before replying to take any extra info into account or to see if it has been resolved but sometimes threads have multiple pages of replies and if you are in a rush but want to give advice then you don't always have time to read through it all.

I was just wondering if there was any way to allow the OP of a thread in software/hardware help forums to be able to add a [resolved] tag to the front of the thread title after the edit period has run out, this would also make it easier for people with similar problems who are looking for help as they would know the thread is not going to be a dead end.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I think this would be a good idea

even if there was a button that added [Resolved[ tot he start of the topic title and closed the thread

I think this would be a good idea

even if there was a button that added [Resolved[ tot he start of the topic title and closed the thread

Yeah that's what I was thinking, either next to the edit button or the edit button could be replaced by it when the edit period had run out.

On some forums the origional poster can ammend the title if permissions are set correctly,to add the [resolved] addendum, other than that it would be up to admin staff to amend the titles.

This is a pretty good idea. The only issue is that many people offer their opinions or some more useful information on the subject even after the question is resolved, and adding [Resolved] to the title might discourage that.

Well unless your just trying to generate foot fall which I doubt you need, then it helps keep the forum tidy and easy to look for solutions that already work.

I really don't mind other advice in those threads, because sometimes some really good advice is given but like you, I would like to see it marked Solved, so everyone would know not to keep replying to the original problem.

Next version of IPB has a best answer feature built in, doubt Neowin will upgrade for quite a while though.

http://community.inv...answer-feature/

I think that would be the best solution, so that people don't keep answering the question over and over again, but contribute to the discussion. Also so that other people would know where the answer is if they have the same question.

A tag would serve nicely to mark the issue as solved.

3.4 will come with a "best answer" vote feature which will mark topics as solved, we'll be upgrading to it (I hear it will release at the end of the year). :)

• Like 2

3.4 will come with a "best answer" vote feature which will mark topics as solved, we'll be upgrading to it (I hear it will release at the end of the year). :)

Awesome :D Glad to hear you're doing the upgrade, quite a few nice features from what I've read :)

It's a good idea, but can we not have the option to close the thread? I've learned some great things here over the years from people that have started their posts with, "I know your problem has been solved, but here's some handy tips..."

If posters get given the option to close the thread when their question is answered, these responses will not happen.

I will never support threads being closed when they're resolved. I've seen many examples of "solved" threads being used for a related issue as well ;)

• Like 3