Family sues Monster Energy makers over teen

The family of a 14-year-old Maryland girl is suing the California makers of Monster Energy, alleging Friday that too much caffeine in the popular energy drink led to her death.

Lawyers said the two 24-ounce (0.7 liter) cans of Monster Energy consumed by Anais Fournier in the 24 hours prior to her fatal cardiac arrest in December 2011 contained as much caffeine ? 480 milligrams ? as 14 12-ounce cans of Coca-Cola.

The ensuing autopsy cited ?cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity? as the cause of death.

The family is asking the California Supreme Court for ?all damages allowed by law,? claiming that Monster Energy should be held responsible for wrongful death for allegedly failing to warn about its product?s dangers.

By law, soft drinks in the United States can contain no more than 71.5 milligrams of caffeine per 12 ounces. But the limit does not apply to energy drinks like Monster Energy that are considered dietary supplements.

?These drinks are death traps for young, developing girls and boys like my daughter Anais,? her mother Wendy Crossland said in a statement issued by the family?s law firm, Goldberg, Finnegan and Mester.

?I just want Monster Energy to know their product can kill.?

In a statement, the drink?s manufacturer, Monster Beverage, said it was unaware of any fatality caused by any of the more than eight billion energy drinks it has sold worldwide.

?Monster does not believe that its beverages are in any way responsible for the death of Ms. Fournier,? it said, adding that it intended to ?vigorously? defend itself in court.

The product website for Monster Energy claims the beverage is ?the meanest energy supplement on the planet ? a wicked mega hit that delivers twice the buzz of a regular energy drink.?

source

This is the woman who microwaved her cat all over again... :rolleyes:

Glassed Silver:mac

So publicity seeking family, did you ever tell your daughter not to drink those drinks because they were bad for her? I thought not.

be fair here... its not there job to know how much a dangerous level of caffine is in a drink nor does it say how much caffine is on the can/..... surely it is there responsiblity to know how much is to much (the makers of the drink) that much is stupid....

Ok I had to write a paper on caffeine. If I remember right remember it takes about 150 shots of expresso to kill a human. That's how much caffeine you need. Also you can't make it half way there. Your body rejects the caffeine. it comes out weather you like it or not. She probably had a pre existing heart condition. Which the can tells you not to drink if you have one.

You can die from drinking too much water (literally a salt deficiency). I had a friend who nearly died because of over-hydration and not enough salt in her system to balance it out. It was very odd and the symptoms seemed like she was under-hydrated (they are almost the same symptoms).

Honestly, I think these energy drinks should only be sold to 18+ (not necessarily illegal for minors to drink, but an adult needs to be present during purchasing) and probably contain a warning label about consuming too much.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Ok I had to write a paper on caffeine. If I remember right remember it takes about 150 shots of expresso to kill a human. That's how much caffeine you need. Also you can't make it half way there. Your body rejects the caffeine. it comes out weather you like it or not. She probably had a pre existing heart condition. Which the can tells you not to drink if you have one.

If that is true, then they are probably off the hook... Besides, drinking 2 cans of Monster within a 24-hour period is probably pretty common for most kids her age. These energy drinks are very unhealthy and they promote an addictive lifestyle IMHO. I still think they should be 18+. As the article said, they exceed the amount of caffeine that a soda typically has by claiming they are dietary. Similarly they should be controlled and only sold to adults because they are not meant (or sold) as beverages IMHO.

Honestly, I think these energy drinks should only be sold to 18+ (not necessarily illegal for minors to drink, but an adult needs to be present during purchasing) and probably contain a warning label about consuming too much.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

If that is true, then they are probably off the hook... Besides, drinking 2 cans of Monster within a 24-hour period is probably pretty common for most kids her age. These energy drinks are very unhealthy and they promote an addictive lifestyle IMHO. I still think they should be 18+. As the article said, they exceed the amount of caffeine that a soda typically has by claiming they are dietary. Similarly they should be controlled and only sold to adults because they are not meant (or sold) as beverages IMHO.

Back in my youngin days. By that I mean about 2 years ago. I use to consume monster and full throttle heavily. I would pop back about 4 cans a day. Rejection comes out of nowhere. Just calmn and normal then all of a sudden you throw up uncontrollably. Then you feel like crap.

be fair here... its not there job to know how much a dangerous level of caffine is in a drink nor does it say how much caffine is on the can/..... surely it is there responsiblity to know how much is to much (the makers of the drink) that much is stupid....

It is most certainly their job if their daughter has a hereditary condition that can be exacerbated by caffeine intake, which is the case here.

There are several stories that have this information. One of them specifically states,"she had an inherited disorder that can weaken blood vessels."

She should have known better, but kids think they are invincible. That's when it's the parents job to step in and keep this from happening.

I mean by this logic since some kids die from peanut butter so peanut butter should be illegal. Water toxicity is also real...therefore we should also ban water.

Oxygen toxicity can happen as well...so let's ban that while we're at it.

After all, who needs to think or pay attention to warnings or actually parent their children...sue sue sue.

It is a parents job to know what their children are doing, and eating, and drinking, at least I think so. Sure, they need to have a clear labels on these drinks, but almost everyone I know knows that these drinks are high in caffeine, and not safe to drink for children. This family acts like they fell off the pumpkin truck just yesterday.

BTW, just to point this out to everyone.

Monster drinks on average have a density of 10mg of caffeine per ounce.

Mountain Dew Game Fuel has a density of 6mg of caffeine per ounce.

Regular Mountain Dew has a density of 4.5mg of caffeine per ounce.

So 2 Monsters = 480mg of caffine spread over 48 ounces.

You could get the same thing from drinking 4 20oz bottles of Gamefuel or about 9 regular cans of Mountain Dew.

Heck I've drank way more than that on late night work shifts...

I am a Monster Energy Drink Fan (Monster Rehab Lemonaide/Tea), but usually consume just one per day. I have learned the hard way not to drink too many in a 24 hour period. For me, my limit is just one. I had two in less than 4 hours and I felt like I was going to die literally.

For others, this would not be a problem, but you have to know your limits. Everything in moderation. :)

I hope that if the family wins, they aren't given grandiose amounts of money just for the lawsuit. Sadly enough, today's society is too sue happy and when the money is demanded, then they walk away richer than ever before. But then again, I think a fair settlement would be to cover all medical costs incurred, burial expenses, funeral costs (Two different things believe me), and maybe some 'padding' on top for emotional suffering. But, as sure as I write this, no amount of money will ever bring their daughter back so it doesn' t make sense to become an instant millionaire as a result.

I am a Monster Energy Drink Fan (Monster Rehab Lemonaide/Tea), but usually consume just one per day. I have learned the hard way not to drink too many in a 24 hour period. For me, my limit is just one. I had two in less than 4 hours and I felt like I was going to die literally.

For others, this would not be a problem, but you have to know your limits. Everything in moderation. :)

I hope that if the family wins, they aren't given grandiose amounts of money just for the lawsuit. Sadly enough, today's society is too sue happy and when the money is demanded, then they walk away richer than ever before. But then again, I think a fair settlement would be to cover all medical costs incurred, burial expenses, funeral costs (Two different things believe me), and maybe some 'padding' on top for emotional suffering. But, as sure as I write this, no amount of money will ever bring their daughter back so it doesn' t make sense to become an instant millionaire as a result.

Well it doesn't make sense anyways since she had a hereditary defect that weakened her blood vessels. She is one of the people that is referred to on the can when it says that people sensitive to caffeine shouldn't drink it.

The can had a clear warning on it that people with conditions like that shouldn't drink it...but it was ignored...so they shouldn't get anything tbh.

Does it suck that she died, and will the family hurt over it? Yes.

Should they punish a company that put out a product that she used against the warnings on the label? No.

I see soldiers drinking 2-3 a day. It is crazy.

the parents should not of let their daughter drink these energy drinks. Everyone knows what they do to you. And yes it is the responsibility of the parent to watch what kids are in taking for foods.

It is most certainly their job if their daughter has a hereditary condition that can be exacerbated by caffeine intake, which is the case here.

There are several stories that have this information. One of them specifically states,"she had an inherited disorder that can weaken blood vessels."

She should have known better, but kids think they are invincible. That's when it's the parents job to step in and keep this from happening.

I mean by this logic since some kids die from peanut butter so peanut butter should be illegal. Water toxicity is also real...therefore we should also ban water.

Oxygen toxicity can happen as well...so let's ban that while we're at it.

After all, who needs to think or pay attention to warnings or actually parent their children...sue sue sue.

didnt say anything bout making anything illegal just saying im pretty sure there are no specifications of how much caffeine is in drinks (you can obviously find out through research but there is no clear point out) and that there should be a clear display of measurements.

also most people while it is obvious caffeine is in these drinks, would assume that the energy comes from other places not just a caffeine dump... glucose, frutcose, torine etc if an energy drinks sole energy source is cafeine then it is a rubbish energy drink as its a stimulant not an energy source. (dont let the feeling more awake fool you its not giving you energy just burning it from other places)

523501303t.jpg

So am i going to die soon?

Had you drank that all at once, then yes.

But the picture doesn't depict something I haven't seen already from you, so I know this mountain of cans is a bit older, so you're fine! :p

Had you drank that all at once, then yes.

But the picture doesn't depict something I haven't seen already from you, so I know this mountain of cans is a bit older, so you're fine! :p

oh that's just the first

747762190t.jpg

Tastes like pi55 anyway.

you know what pee tastes like?

As others have said I doubt it was the caffeine that killed her alone, when I was younger I went on a trip with my school to France, one night a couple of guys snuck out and got drunk. One guy got completely wasted, like to the stage where he needed his stomach pumped, and his two friends dragged him back, our Biology teacher got a massive jug of water and poured as much coffee as would dissolve into it then forced him to drink it. We were all standing around like "wtf is he doing?" then he explained that the body would only take so much caffeine before it rejected it and sure enough the guy started spewing everywhere :p

Also I regularly drink 3 cans a day because I like the taste and the buzz plus I always mix it with drinks, yes yes I know I'm dumb, but I've never felt ill from it.

As others have said I doubt it was the caffeine that killed her alone, when I was younger I went on a trip with my school to France, one night a couple of guys snuck out and got drunk. One guy got completely wasted, like to the stage where he needed his stomach pumped, and his two friends dragged him back, our Biology teacher got a massive jug of water and poured as much coffee as would dissolve into it then forced him to drink it. We were all standing around like "wtf is he doing?" then he explained that the body would only take so much caffeine before it rejected it and sure enough the guy started spewing everywhere :p

Also I regularly drink 3 cans a day because I like the taste and the buzz plus I always mix it with drinks, yes yes I know I'm dumb, but I've never felt ill from it.

It is caffeine that killed her. Your friend drank a lot of coffee but didn't get digested and absorbed before he spew part of it out.

Also the caffeine level in monster drinks is much higher than coffee. The "massive jug" and "as much coffee as would dissolve" doesn't really show the caffeine level.

So yes, too much caffeine can kill.