Apple live streaming today

Whoa whoa wait... we're not at the iPad mini yet and they've announced a refresh for the existing iPad. After six months they jump a revision?

Yea, I foresee a lot of complains from people who bought the third generation iPad now claiming it's obsolete and they were ripped of... or something. That's how it usually goes even though the device the bought still works and works just like before and they've had it and enjoyed it for quite some time already...

Hmm, must be a sign. They're taking size and refresh cycle cues from their Android competitors. :p

That, or they really wanted to have the lightning connector on the current generation of the large iPad as well, or they are shifting the iPad releases/announcements from march to october and the next won't be until a year from now. Or maybe they decided to become more unpredictable and will now be picking refresh times at random :p

No; according to Apple the new iDevice is the most advanced <insert gadget type here> in the world (they say that to every new iDevice, making the previous ones inferiors).

Yea? True. But that doesn't really defeat his argument. The latest shiny car is likely also portrayed as the best one yet and something that all previous ones are inferior to, doesn't mean they all turned obsolete or useless and few people would feel that way, for a mobile phone or a tablet thoug many do feel that way for some absurd reason.

Yea, I foresee a lot of complains from people who bought the third generation iPad now claiming it's obsolete and they were ripped of... or something. That's how it usually goes even though the device the bought still works and works just like before and they've had it and enjoyed it for quite some time already...

My concern is they'll give the third generation iPad a shorter lease on life in terms of support, similar to the first iPad.

Though it is a bit puzzling why Apple still insists on selling the iPad 2 *alongside* the iPad Mini. One would logically think the third generation iPad would get a slight price cut and be sold side-by-side with the 4th generation iPad. Or perhaps they figured it'll be more expensive to keep the A5X in production over the A5 given that the 5th gen iPod touch and any remaining iPhone 4S's also use the A5.

This is an insult. How can they sell us an iPad 3 in April (I bought one) and then come and slap us in the face with a so-called "new and improved" version? Seriously? I am so ticked off right now is not even funny. They should have had the decency to let the public know that they were working on a new iPad and that they were planning to release it today. Better yet, they should have just waited and not release the iPad in April and release this one instead, with the new A6 chip and the new things. I feel screwed by Apple and I'm not happy.

This article mentions something very interesting. Apple didn't bother to mention the iPad 3 on their lineup, yet they still mention the iPad 2. I am wondering why?

Is it because the iPad 3 is flawed and they want people to forget about it ASAP and that's why they released this new one? Makes me wonder.

http://kotaku.com/5954259/it-only-took-seven-months-for-apple-to-make-me-feel-like-a-chump

This article mentions something very interesting. Apple didn't bother to mention the iPad 3 on their lineup, yet they still mention the iPad 2. I am wondering why?

Is it because the iPad 3 is flawed and they want people to forget about it ASAP and that's why they released this new one? Makes me wonder.

http://kotaku.com/59...el-like-a-chump

Flawed how?

so this is the new new ipad, so the previous one was what? the old ipad? but that can't be, since the oldest ipad is the ipad 1...mind blowing.

so this is the new new ipad, so the previous one was what? the old ipad? but that can't be, since the oldest ipad is the ipad 1...mind blowing.

The iPod followed the same pattern, no one got confused there :p

Yea? True. But that doesn't really defeat his argument. The latest shiny car is likely also portrayed as the best one yet and something that all previous ones are inferior to, doesn't mean they all turned obsolete or useless and few people would feel that way, for a mobile phone or a tablet thoug many do feel that way for some absurd reason.

the problem is that lots of Apple fans and users i know are going to ditch their current iDevices just to get this new one, pretty much like the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4s and so on. Why? i dunno.

Flawed how?

I wish I knew. Why would they not mention the iPad 3 and make it disappear from their web site as if it never existed but yet still mention the iPad 2 and even have it on their web site?

I don't get it. What was so wrong with the iPad 3 that they forgot all about it?

Yes but the key isn't that. I find the software they made for it interesting. We know the difference between SSD and traditional HD's. We know that we can run both at the same time, put what we want to run fastest on the SSD. I think the big deal on that will be that the software will do it automatically without the user having to do it. I think hybrid drives exist, but this is the first I have heard of the OS automatically moving software around based on your usage.

Side note: Hate Tim talking... terrible salesman and incredibly boring to listening to him.

That is exactly how hybrid drives work. They're just rebranding it.

I do agree on Tim, though. I've never seen him present before but is that how he really talks? I mean, it's as if he's trying hard to do that 'calming and magical' voice Jobs had.

Edit: It'll be interesting if Fusion Drives work the way Ars describes it, though.

That is exactly how hybrid drives work. They're just rebranding it.

I do agree on Tim, though. I've never seen him present before but is that how he really talks? I mean, it's as if he's trying hard to do that 'calming and magical' voice Jobs had.

Any of us would feel overwhelmed if we had to fill in the shoes of the greatest salesman of our generation.

Any of us would feel overwhelmed if we had to fill in the shoes of the greatest salesman of our generation.

Jobs was known for saying "and one more thing." After today, I suspect Tim may end up being known for saying "cool" to everything.

Edit: It'll be interesting if Fusion Drives work the way Ars describes it, though.

From that link, this is what interests me. Right now I am running two harddrives but my SSD is much smaller than my 3TB drive. Software that did that automatically for me would just be nice. Not something I absolutely have to have, but certainly nice.

"the operating system makes note of what you're doing and how often you do it, and the things you use most often are promoted up onto the SSD. This is done transparently, and you see the SSD and hard drives as a single volume."

This is an insult. How can they sell us an iPad 3 in April (I bought one) and then come and slap us in the face with a so-called "new and improved" version? Seriously? I am so ticked off right now is not even funny. They should have had the decency to let the public know that they were working on a new iPad and that they were planning to release it today. Better yet, they should have just waited and not release the iPad in April and release this one instead, with the new A6 chip and the new things. I feel screwed by Apple and I'm not happy.

They took your money and they're probably laughing all the way to the bank. Well...no likely, but do you really think that they care about people? No! They only care about money, and the sad part is that you'll probably buy another iPad come next year.

the problem is that lots of Apple fans and users i know are going to ditch their current iDevices just to get this new one, pretty much like the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4s and so on. Why? i dunno.

I'm still on my iPhone 4. I'll get a new one when this dies or breaks, or if I sell it.

I'm kinda waiting to see the iPhone 5S next summer.

My concern is they'll give the third generation iPad a shorter lease on life in terms of support, similar to the first iPad.

Though it is a bit puzzling why Apple still insists on selling the iPad 2 *alongside* the iPad Mini. One would logically think the third generation iPad would get a slight price cut and be sold side-by-side with the 4th generation iPad. Or perhaps they figured it'll be more expensive to keep the A5X in production over the A5 given that the 5th gen iPod touch and any remaining iPhone 4S's also use the A5.

Well, they had good reason to cut support for the first gen iPad, it's possible it could have handled a very limited version of iOS 6 just with the new stores and settings such as receiving imessages sent to your phone number, but really that thing had enough problems already running iOS 5 with its limited amount of RAM. That was always the biggest issue with the first gen iPad, heck when the iPad 2 came around getting more RAM so I could have even a few pages open in Safari at once was the biggest appeal of it... Waited for the third though.

I'd guess they have a much bigger margin on the iPad 2 at its current price than they would the third gen, it also gives people more incentive to pay a bit more for the latest and greatest, if the third gen iPad was sold in the place of the iPad 2 at the same price or even a bit higher more people would opt to go for that than who will now opt for the iPad 2 since the third gen has the retina and stronger hardware and so on. The gap between it and the new one just isnt as big as the iPad 2 and new one. (Just the same as I, owner of a third gen iPad, see very little reason to upgrade to the new one.)

The iPod followed the same pattern, no one got confused there :p

iPod touch as well, it was always distinguished by generation and that works just as well for the iPad.