Quoting 'fanboys' on the user reviews made it sound like anyone giving it a good review is simply a fanboy. What if the user reviews were trashing it? What's the point of user reviews at all if they're just discounted as fanboy drivel?

As a note, I'm neutral on the AC series and am waiting for more reviews before I make a purchase decision. Just wondering why people discount user reviews so fervently (I know there are a lot of trolls on Metacritic, but they're generally on MMO or Sports games.).

This, and thank you. Also, I'm rather neutral on the series though I will admit I was looking forward to this, as were 2 of my roommates. However, as college students for the time being it came down to this, or Halo 4. AC3 promises to be interesting and I love single player - but! Nothing is going to out-shine the Single player of Halo 4, its brilliant new graphics - hopeful about its new gameplay, FPS multiplayer together. All of this spoken from someone who hasn't enjoyed Halo since 2, and truthfully since Combat Evolved (though I did buy the 10 yr Anniversary :) ). So, back on topic, this will need to drop in price and have more positive reviews as my only prior experience (though enjoyable) was with AC:Revelations.

Have you read any of the user reviews?

Here's a good example:

"AC3 is a all new AC Experience, it has a Read Dead Redemption feeling and the best things that you love on AC series. You watch the trailers, demos and theres no surprise, it is amazing like you saw by Ubisoft. Maybe GOTY 2012."

I don't see anything terribly wrong with that review. It may be short, but I'm not expecting fantastic pieces of literature from user reviews. AC3 does look good in trailers, and could quite possibly compete for GOTY. Nothing shocking there.

Would you prefer if all user reviews were from people who have no previous experience with the games? Assassin's Creed is a (generally) well received series. I expect there to be fans of the game, and while that may sway someone's opinion a bit, why is that such a problem? I can't think of any game that wouldn't be affected by something like this. You may as well throw reviews out the window entirely and form your own opinions, I think. Maybe it's a personal thing, but I like to see a general consensus on something before I make a purchase decision. One thing I would like to see from most sites with user reviews is disallowing them until ~40 or so hours after the game is released to allow for the initial high to wear off, or for the user to complete the game. I am considering implementing something like this with my site, however I do feel like I would get some backlash for it. :)

Not picking a fight, just looking for some discourse as I see it's a comment that pops up regularly.

By the way, I'm interested in what you think of pre-ordering games.

What drives me nuts is that any popular-franchise game gets ridiculously high ratings whether the game deserves it or not.

Some of the reviews for AC3 are outright embarrassing. :|

Here's a good example:

G4 TV

Oct 30, 2012

There is so much story, so much multiplayer, and so much stuff to do that your average 10 hour game should be terribly ashamed of itself. In this economy, you can't do better than Assassins Creed III.

What do you guys think of jumping directly into AC III, I've been thinking finally buying a PS3, and there's the superslim with a 500GB and AC III for $300, I think it's a good deal.

Will I still enjoy the game without playing the rest?

What do you guys think of jumping directly into AC III, I've been thinking finally buying a PS3, and there's the superslim with a 500GB and AC III for $300, I think it's a good deal.

If you enjoy jumping on things and stabbing people, sure.

Yeah you can do that - watch the IGN 5min video and you're sorted.

On my part, I was JUST getting into Borderlands 2 and now this comes out??

Sigh...not enough time for all the wonderful games.

Definately picking it up today though when the shops open :)

Yes, this game is made so new guys can jump in and still understand what is going on most of the time and enjoy the experience.

Obviously you won't enjoy as much as people who followed the series. How about picking up the Assassins Creed Collection for PS3 too. Skip the first game and play the rest.

Maybe.

The gameplay with Connor should be fine, but you'll completely be lost on the gameplay as Desmond, history of the Templars v. Assassins, Subject 16. Lucy, Desmond's backstory, Altair's story after AC1, why Desmond and the present-day group are in Upstate New York, etc.....

You can miss out on the first one if you at least just watch a video summary. It sets the stage for a few things, but you won't completely lose out.

You can also pick up the Ezio Trilogy (ACII, AC:Brotherhood, AC: Revelations) for around $30 and catch up on the rest.

Do yourself a favor and play 1, 2, Brotherhood and Revelations. The latter two may not be as interesting, but they're at least relevant, decent games.

When is Ubisoft going to get it right and release the PC version at the same time as the console versions? I have yet to see them mention a valid excuse as to why they do this.

Does it really matter? It's not ninety days, it's not 180 days, it's not going to kill anyone.

Those are some reliable reviews. :rolleyes:

You have paid reviews by IGN

IGN fan boy reviews.

Gamed reviews on Metacritic

and Metacritic fanboys

1) If the best Ubi could pay for was an 8.5, they need to back off the promotional material and shellout some more cash to critics.

2) What exactly are "gamed" reviews?

Am I the only one who is finding the game buggy? I've had to restart a few times and I've played it for an hour and a half only.

Heard about some bugs from people who got the game early and one of the reviewers. Supposed to be a day 1 patch to fix most of them,

Does it really matter? It's not ninety days, it's not 180 days, it's not going to kill anyone.

I didn't say it was going to kill anyone, but it seems somewhat rude to me that they release some platforms earlier than others for no reason. They are basically sitting there with the PC version and not letting it go out to their PC fans. If it's because the PC version is not done, then hold on to the console version for another 20 days and release all versions of it at one time. It wouldn't kill console players to wait nearly another month for the same game.

Heard about some bugs from people who got the game early and one of the reviewers. Supposed to be a day 1 patch to fix most of them,

still having problems. It tells me I need to shoot guards where there aren't any. It's annoying.

I didn't say it was going to kill anyone, but it seems somewhat rude to me that they release some platforms earlier than others for no reason. They are basically sitting there with the PC version and not letting it go out to their PC fans. If it's because the PC version is not done, then hold on to the console version for another 20 days and release all versions of it at one time. It wouldn't kill console players to wait nearly another month for the same game.

so it's unfair you have to wait. But fair to make them wait.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I'll consider the EZIO trilogoy.

Do yourself a favor and play 1, 2, Brotherhood and Revelations. The latter two may not be as interesting, but they're at least relevant, decent games.

My issue is...time, I don't have as much time to play games as before. As an example, it took me a bit more than a month to finish God of War 1 and another month for GoW 2. (which I need to consider buying GoW3 of course)

so it's unfair you have to wait. But fair to make them wait.

That's not what I said, way to twist my words to fit your point.

It's unfair that PC gamers have to wait longer than console gamers to get the same game, but it's perfectly fair to make console gamers wait just as long as PC gamers do to get the same game when PC gamers get it (as opposed to releasing it early to console gamers and saying F- YOU PC Gamers, you will wait).

AC games aren't really that long if you don't do the collection stuff and just do the story. I know your pain though.

That's not what I said, way to twist my words to fit your point.

It's unfair that PC gamers have to wait longer than console gamers to get the same game, but it's perfectly fair to make console gamers wait just as long as PC gamers do to get the same game when PC gamers get it (as opposed to releasing it early to console gamers and saying F- YOU PC Gamers, you will wait).

Seems perfectly fair when the PC gamers get considerably higher quality assets.

How is the combat? Still easy with indicator when enemies are going to strike? And do they just strike one at a time when you are surrounded?

I posted this before but combat should be 1-2: people easy, 3: you can still win but it should be a challenge until the number are down to 2 people, 4 or more you should die unless you run and get them to split up.

They used to, but that's changing (with exception to games like Borderlands 2)... console ports have become terrible.

Not really....it does happen in some games, but I wouldn't call it common. Most games I've seen that release on consoles first have similar quality on the PC later. Look at GTA IV, it did have higher view distances and shadows, but its performance was 10x worse and the general assets (models and such) were no better than the console versions.....and it came how much longer after the console version?

Plus, it's easier to build higher quality assets then lower the quality down later rather than make lower quality assets, then rebuild the assets at a higher quality afterwards. Increasing asset quality requires rebuilding the assets (or at least adding more polygons to the models), lowering asset quality is just a matter of running an optimization pass that lowers the number of polygons. It wouldn't make sense to build all the game assets then rebuild them later at a higher quality, so I doubt the PC release is taking longer due to higher quality assets.