Photo
news comparison ipad surface display retina lcd ips technology

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,432 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:42

Well, this is about the perceived resolution. Not interaction with display.
How does a display looks.

What the hell are you talking abut. :rolleyes:

#17 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:46

I think this test proves that these are the most important things, to judge a display. As in the above mini-survey, twice as many people preferred to watch the movie on the Surface, than on iPad.

Microsoft’s applied sciences department manager does talk about it in detail at this link: http://microsoft-new...retina-display/

Way to completely ignore the rest of the points they made in the Wired article, and why did you post the other link twice, but not post the like to Wired's review at all?

Thanks to CJEric for that link though!

Well, this is about the perceived resolution. Not interaction with display.
How does a display looks. That's what the Microsoft employee was talking about.

Watching a movie has very little to do with perceived resolution as it applies to all of the other activities that most people use a tablet for (reading web pages and books). The iPad won hands down there.

#18 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,725 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:46

Several other articles have said that accuracy is better on the iPad but fonts look much better on Surface. I expected more consensus. If anything, this is the least detailed review I've seen on display comparisions.

#19 OP FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

• 7,148 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:52

Way to completely ignore the rest of the points they made in the Wired article, and why did you post the other link twice, but not post the like to Wired's review at all?

Thanks to CJEric for that link though!

Watching a movie has very little to do with perceived resolution as it applies to all of the other activities that most people use a tablet for (reading web pages and books). The iPad won hands down there.

Yes, I added the link. I forgot to add it.

And I still stand by my point. It's a difference between just viewing a device, and interacting with it.
The movies test required the subjects to just view the display, but the browser test required the subjects to zoom in/out.

My point is, had both tests been about just viewing, Surface would have won.

#20 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,957 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:54

You know this will do nothing to convince the apple and android fans, especially the fandroids who thinks spec are everything, but then that's what google and the OEMs thought them with poorly optimized software and hardware.

I'll hold out untill I can afford a pro anyway though, but not because of the res.

Yes, because we know that the subjective opinions of 6 people out of a billion + device buying members of the public are absolute :rolleyes:

#21 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,432 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:56

Let's have a look at a few more reviews:

This isn’t to say that Surface’s display is bad, in fact I think it’s quite good and I’d argue that it was never a problem in my testing, but it’s definitely not the best on the market today.

(Anandtech)

all the technology in the world can't make up for pixels that aren't there. At the size of the Surface screen, 1366 x 768 resolution leaves much to be desired

(The Verge)

while there are certainly situations where Microsoft's screen looks better than Apple's—and these situations might even be commonplace if we were comparing laptops—as a tablet screen it would be better served with more resolution.

(Ars Technica)

zoom in on graphics in the browser on the Surface and, side by side with an iPad 3, the difference in resolution is clear. It’s the same when you’re viewing photos in the gallery app: the Surface screen just doesn’t look as good.

(Slashgear)

The screen doesn't hold up against the crispness of the iPad's retina resolution

(Gizmodo)

In a side-by-side comparison with Apple’s third-generation iPad, using the New York Times home page as a reference, both my wife and I found text on Apple’s Retina display slightly crisper and sharper. For image quality, though, the two displays were practically indistinguishable.

(Ed Bott, ZDNet)

Surface RT's 10.6-inch, 1366-by-768-pixel display doesn't match the clarity and beauty of the iPad's so-called Retina display. [...] In side-by-side comparisons, the Surface RT suffers from a tangible degree of pixel blur, whereas the iPad makes all content look like a continuous-tone photographic print. The difference in resolution is particularly noticeable in text rendering, despite Microsoft's use of ClearType [...] and optical bonding

(PCWorld)

#22 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,185 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:57

Well at normal usage distance, the iPad will obviously be much better.
These tests involving a video don't prove anything.

#23 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• 606 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:03

Let's have a look at a few more reviews:

(Anandtech)

(The Verge)

(Ars Technica)

(Slashgear)

(Gizmodo)

(Ed Bott, ZDNet)

(PCWorld)

:rofl: So bad

#24 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,432 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:21

:rofl: So bad

Well, no, not bad at all. It just doesn't approach the quality of the iPad's excellent display (judging by what the reviewers have had to say about it, not by what Microsoft's PR folks want people to believe)

#25 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,456 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:21

The resolution of the Surface RT is simply too low for a modern tablet. Microsoft can do as many comparisons as it likes but it just doesn't compare well to the competition. In terms of design it looks great but that isn't enough, especially not when performance is on the low side (according to the reviews). It will be interesting to see how the Surface Pro performs and how it is priced but given the excessive price of the RT I'm not setting my hopes high.

I'm more interested to see what OEMs do, particularly if Nokia gets involved.

#26 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,941 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:27

I'm more interested to see what OEMs do, particularly if Nokia gets involved.

Sony Vaio Duo 11 looks really interesting imo

#27 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,725 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:31

Pro is 1080, which means the same gobbledegook will apply there if you believe a lower functional resolution is better. I'll take two visible apps personally. The font preference towards Surface is the interesting bit for me, not how well the NYT site zooms.

#28 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,749 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:34

Pretty much everyone hates Surface.. watch Joshua Topolsky review but most of them are reactions like his.

Joshua Topolsky reviewing the Surface is like a vegetarian reviewing steak.

#29 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,456 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 October 2012 - 21:27

Sony Vaio Duo 11 looks really interesting imo

It's definitely interesting, though my concern would be build quality. It looks like the sort of product that would break quite easily. Still, it's good to see manufacturers opting for different approaches rather than all lining up to produce the same generic products.

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 22:56

6 to 3 for Surface is not a very convincing test to me.