news comparison ipad surface display retina lcd ips technology

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Big b0b

Big b0b

Neowinian

• 170 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 13:37

would still rather have an asus transformer for 300$ 400$ with keyboard.

#47 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,652 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 00:19

You know this will do nothing to convince the apple and android fans, especially the fandroids who thinks spec are everything, but then that's what google and the OEMs thought them with poorly optimized software and hardware.

I'll hold out untill I can afford a pro anyway though, but not because of the res.

Convince of what? That the Surface is a better machine? I cant speak for anyone else, but it takes more than a little better hardware to make me want to use a device. I prefer the Android OS currently, however, I am hoping W8 does do well and then I will give it a try. Not going to jump ship over what many think will be a big flop. I waited 6 months before I bought my first Android device, other wise I probably would of kicked myself in the nutts and bought an iPhone

#48 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,996 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 00:32

You know this will do nothing to convince the apple and android fans, especially the fandroids who thinks spec are everything, but then that's what google and the OEMs thought them with poorly optimized software and hardware.

Seriously? Nice comment. Way to profile and unnecessary at that.

Basically saying - they are trying to find an excuse. Yet still failed. Whatever they do with 174 ppi text will still be so noticeably pixelated.

Cracks me up when people talk about this stuff on such a small screen. If you're holding it right up to your face, then maybe, but who really does that? If you are doing that, then you should probably get a REAL e-reader and save your eyes.

#49 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,652 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 00:45

I am downloading Win8 now on my new laptop for $15 from MS Upgrade Advisor. Not going to upgrade right away tho but I have the trial loaded another laptop.
$15 is crap tho. Should be free if the laptop was bought within a certain time frame of the Win8 release date. I just bought my laptop a couple weeks ago.

#50 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,155 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 00:53

I am downloading Win8 now on my new laptop for $15 from MS Upgrade Advisor. Not going to upgrade right away tho but I have the trial loaded another laptop.
$15 is crap tho. Should be free if the laptop was bought within a certain time frame of the Win8 release date. I just bought my laptop a couple weeks ago.

And this has what to do with this thread? And if $15 is "crap", why did you spend it? :/

#51 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 00:56

I doubt MS is doing ClearType on these devices, or if they are they're only doing it in certain cases (When the device is in landscape)

iOS doesn't do sub-pixel AA at all, even on the first gen devices with the 163ppi (or so), and on higher PPI devices it's not needed.

The display technology used on Surface is called ClearType.

#52 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,530 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:06

The display technology used on Surface is called ClearType.

Yes, Microsoft ran out of names. But the post I was responding to was talking about font rendering.

#53 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:30

Yes, Microsoft ran out of names. But the post I was responding to was talking about font rendering.

So was I. The term ClearType for the Surface refers to not just the screen itself, but to all the technology used to make what is presented on that screen as sharp as it is. It's a combination of both hardware & software, and that includes the sub-pixel font rendering technology. :)

BTW all this is even better in Windows 7 & Windows 8 due to the inclusion of Direct2D & DirectWrite.

Here's a bit of a primer:
http://msdn.microsof...1(v=vs.85).aspx

#54 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,530 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:06

Ok, but the metro UI doesn't actually use ClearType (I was wrong when I thought they might in landscape mode), it seems they're just using greyscale AA.

And I know about DirectWrite, but I don't see what it has to do with WinRT (I'm assuming they're following the WPF route, or are re-writing their code again as they seem to do*)

* We have GDI font rendering, DirectWrite font rendering, WPF font rendering and Office uses an entirely separate renderer