AT&T blames disappointing subscriber growth on iPhone

(Reuters) - AT&T Inc added fewer customers than expected in the third quarter due to a shortage of the latest Apple Inc iPhone, highlighting its outsize dependence on the device.

The company's slowing customer growth shows that it is rapidly losing ground to bigger rival Verizon Wireless. Since most people already have cellphones, operators like AT&T and Verizon have to battle each other to add new customers.

AT&T, the No. 2 U.S. mobile service provider, added 151,000 net new subscribers in the quarter, compared with the average expectation for 358,000, according to five analysts contacted by Reuters. Verizon Wireless added 1.5 million net new subscribers in the same period.

"They're clearly losing significant market share to Verizon Wireless," Stifel Nicolaus analyst Christopher King said. "It appears, based on these numbers, that Verizon Wireless is really pulling away from the rest of the industry."

King said the trend could be a bad omen for smaller rival Sprint Nextel, which is due to report results on Thursday.

more

They forget to blame the real reasons. They have very high prices, caps on data which are ridiculously expensive to start with and they signal sucks big time.

• Like 2

Maybe AT&T should blame it on the fact that Verizon is faster at building out its network. I'm with AT&T, and we got 3G in my area about a year before Verizon rolled out 4G LTE here. I don't live in the boonies or anything.

You figure considering Apple's history of always selling out new iPhones, they could amp up production. They know they are going to sell **** loads, so prep for it. There are plenty of children in China that need a job.............:)

They forget to blame the real reasons. They have very high prices, caps on data which are ridiculously expensive to start with and they signal sucks big time.

Sigh. I know. I have to use AT&T for work reasons but I really hate them.I would love to tell them goodbye forever.

just about the same price and verizon verizon has CAPS again just about the same cost and signal is fine here

Maybe AT&T should blame it on the fact that Verizon is faster at building out its network. I'm with AT&T, and we got 3G in my area about a year before Verizon rolled out 4G LTE here. I don't live in the boonies or anything.

this i will fully agree with lol we just got full 4g here no lte but Verizon have both 4g and lte

no, the real reason they are losing customers to Verizon is the network. They both cost about the same with very similar plans, which are both expensive. The difference is that Verizon puts that money right back into their network to expand their 4g coverage, and it really shows, they blow away the competition. Im not the biggest fan of Verizon, but I do respect that they invest the money they make to improve their product, not just line their pockets.

• Like 2

Agreed. Verizon's 4G coverage is superb.

I can go from Chicago to Iowa City almost entirely on 4G LTE.

When I had AT&T before, there were times it would drop down to 2G....

On the other hand, AT&T's HSDPA+ is much faster than VZW's 3G spectrum

All thanks to iPhone monkeys.

AT&T and Verizon prices are way too high for what you're getting. It's one of the reason why I'm not on those networks. Going to spend $100 a month a phone plan. It's just not worth it. T-Mobile is not the greatest but $180 a month for 5 phones with unlimited texting and 5GB 4G a month is much better for me.

Verizon had more time to invest in their 4G LTE because their CDMA-based 3G network was an absolute dinosaur and horrendous XD hahah

Both companies are just as bad :x

Verizon had more time to invest in their 4G LTE because their CDMA-based 3G network was an absolute dinosaur and horrendous XD hahah

Both companies are just as bad :x

whatever the past may be, their 4Glte network now is far and away superior to every carrier, its not even a competion right now and consumers are speaking with their dollars.

Verizon. simple as that. better coverage, and better customer relations.

Microsoft and Nokia are making a mistake and selecting them for the most of windows phone stuff.

ATT spends more money sponsoring sports then building thier network prolly. I see ATT on so many sporting events but I see not much ATT on coverage maps for my area LOL...

I see more people cussing out thier ATT phones and the Verizon and Sprint users are happily playing on thier phones while the ATT users are crying or cussing... LOL.

Well my contract will be over in late December and I will be moving over to (possibly) t-mobile. AT&T has only itself to blame.

my uncle lives in the boonies in the indiana somwhere 50 minutes away from Indianopolis. There is onlly one gas station in his town, and not much else. But yet, he gets Verizon LTE.

I have to say they are amazing in that respect.