Replacing Retina MacBook Pro

Hey All,

So I've got a genius appointment booked for Saturday as my Retina MacBook Pro has started getting the screen burn-in issues. Obviously the end-game here is to get the Unit Replaced.

What would one need to take to this Genius Appointment? The original box, MacBook Pro, Magsafe etc? or just the MacBook Pro?

Thanks

Not Apple bashing (I'd do the same regardless of manufacturer) but in all seriousness if it's under a year old take the receipt and demand a brand new one. You're within your rights to as the goods sold to you were not fit for purpose - check the Sale of Goods Act.

Apple have already agreed they'll replace the unit on the Phone, this is a known hardware issue they're aware of.

I'm simply asking if I should take 'everything' or just the Unit.

You should take everything. I'd recommend taking the cables in a backpack, if they ask for them give them, if not keep them. Chances are they'll only bin them anyway.

Just need to take the computer, and power cord. If you get a new one that is awesome, but I think they give refurbs. But someone correct me on this.

Legally the OP is entitled to a brand new computer or a full refund at the value of their receipt. Indeed accepting a refurb limits the OP's rights as the refurb is warranted for the remaining duration of his original unit. If he is given a new one they are entitled to a fresh full year warranty from that date.

Note: Whilst I have legal experience in this area please do not take this as formal legal advice on the matter!

Note: Whilst I have legal experience in this area please do not take this as formal legal advice on the matter!

lol, wise addition to that ;). But yes, I've read the Sales of Goods act and fully understand it's implications and rights it gives me. I hope I don't get a Referb - I'd like a nice fresh SSD.

What I would say (speaking from my own experience) is if you're at all concerned about what Apple will offer you, take half an hour at the Citizens Advice Bureau. It's free and they can provide you with formal legal advice at no cost. They got me out of a very sticky situation with my ex-landlord saving me thousands.

Hey All,

So I've got a genius appointment booked for Saturday as my Retina MacBook Pro has started getting the screen burn-in issues. Obviously the end-game here is to get the Unit Replaced.

What would one need to take to this Genius Appointment? The original box, MacBook Pro, Magsafe etc? or just the MacBook Pro?

Thanks

back up your mac and ONLY bring the mbp. you don't need to bring anything else. they will ask you to take the other stuff home if you do.

Just a follow up to everybody else.

They took the MacBook Pro for three days to replace the screen. I got it back today, great condition as expected. 10/10 for service as always.

To give you back ground info as I had this as well its about LG vs. Samsung. Both provide model and the parts that sucks is Apple bought more LG's but they are getting a whopping return of them. What they do is order the screen and replace it but you can confirm you have a Samsung model which is brighter and does not retain the image. I will also provide a link to you to test the burn in.

Terminal:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

-- This will display a few lines, if the model/serial starts with LP then you got another LG. If it is LSN (*i think) then you got a Samsung.

You can test the burn in below, I did this for the tech and he same that in 10:00 i remove the checkboard and it the image stuck. Asked nicely for the Samsung and HE was happy to do it. Some customer can be jerks I am always nice.

If its LP (LG) return while Samsung screens are still instock, people fear of them running out.

Checkboard Test:

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

I am not a huge Apple fan as I run Windows 8 on it with Steam and work. The thin metal body + retina screen + i7 + kepler + glass mouse pad+ a store where I can ask for service like this I am very happy. It cost me ZERO and 15 min of my time. With out the Kepler I would have went with Origin Laptop in Florida.

The quality is insane and I have had Asus, Dell, HP and if ever a issue I spend HOURS on the phone and got no where. It is a terrible experience dealing with laptops the companies want nothing to do with them once opened.

With out Nvidia I would have skipped but this is the perfect storm laptop for OSX, Windows or workaholics or gamers. I use Android and Windows, Im just saying so you know I am not an apple nut but just had a good experience.

*Beware you may have to do work for a Samsung screen but its a nice laptop, after it broke my pockets I like that Apple gives me 1 year to buy a warranty so i didnt have to pay on day one. that is damn cool, 1 YEAR!

Terminal:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

-- This will display a few lines, if the model/serial starts with LP then you got another LG. If it is LSN (*i think) then you got a Samsung.

Checkboard Test:

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

Color LCD

LSN154YL01001

DLM237100X9F49GBN

Looks like I got a Samsung display.

I am glad you have the issue fixed and confirmed it. The LG look good but no thanks.

I am currently using Windows 8 with DPI set at 225%. Everything looks good except their is bug with the battery/charging icon in Windows 8 when the DPI is set that high. It turns to a grey square but all other icons are ok but some stretched.

Not Apple bashing (I'd do the same regardless of manufacturer) but in all seriousness if it's under a year old take the receipt and demand a brand new one. You're within your rights to as the goods sold to you were not fit for purpose - check the Sale of Goods Act.

Just a heads up - but this is completely wrong! You have no legal right to a brand new machine. You have the right to repair, replacement or partial refund, up to 6 years after the date of purchase. Before 6 months, it's down to the manufacturer to prove there wasn't an inherent fault - but after 6 months, it's down to you to prove their was a fault at the time of purchase.

Either way, you're never *entitled* to a straight replacement. And you'll get further being polite than going in demanding stuff.

As for the Samsung/LG thing - it's a mixed bag. Not all LGs suffer with image retention - and if you get a good LG, it's by far a better panel than the Samsung. Some people seem to hate on LGs - there's guys over on Macrumors who have had 15 replacements simply because they're LG displays - whether they suffered from image retention or not. Feels like you're banging your head against a brick wall trying to reason with the guys over there sometimes!!!

When my Ex's iMac started making a funny noise, we boxed it all up and took everything to the Apple store. They replaced it with a brand new one, they even let us keep the old Magic Mouse & Wireless Keyboard because they said they would only be thrown out! Couldn't believe it!

But I am sure if you just take the unit it'll be fine.