win8

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#211 adam.mt

adam.mt

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:32

Right from the posts so far I think the following makes sense (and it tallies with how a Win7 install worked). Shane, whilst you've been generally right, I think you're mistaken in regards the issue of what type of key MS are supplying via the Upgrade Assistant and the purpose of the reg hack.

The upgrade assistant gives a RETAIL UPGRADE key since a RETAIL FULL key doesn't exist. An MSDN and OEM FULL key do exist though.

The Win8 media is basically all the same (although it's been mentioned the ISO via the Upgrade Assistant uses different files meaning it's packed differently, but it seems to be the same regardless).

Install to a completely BARE drive using the (upgrade) DVD/USB drive and enter your upgrade key. It will install fine, however it will then likely fail to activate.
Do the registry change mentioned a number of times. This changes Windows record of how it was installed from a full copy to an upgrade one. You may now have to reboot (sorry I can't remember from doing it with 7). You will now find that you can activate successfully.

That reg change is only on media downloaded via the upgrade advisor.

Nope, it's to convert the install type Windows records from a 'full install' version to an 'upgrade' version, therefore allowing an upgrade key to successfully activate.

Someone here already did an install using the upgrade key on a totally blank disc with the MSDN image (which does not require the change) and it didn't activate

Well it wouldn't. The MSDN image is a full install and the upgrade key is an upgrade key therefore the registry change would be required.

Any one care to disprove this? Hopefully, this is the end to this now!

(Actually from memory, I think an slmgr command or two, from an elevated command prompt is required together with the registry change. I'll confirm in a mo when I can dig the info for Win7 up.... update - method 2 detailed here: http://www.winsupers...de-media-128512)

#212 Ottawa Gamerz

Ottawa Gamerz

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:41

i said that and anyone using rmt leaked pro iso just buy the key insert

why does it take more than one person to end the bs

#213 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:42

As I posted in the other thread about this...

Change the following registry key before activating:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE

Change "MediaBootInstall" from "1" to "0"

Then type "slmgr /rearm" into a command prompt, wait for conformation prompt.

Restart the PC.

Activate.

100% works! :)

#214 Ottawa Gamerz

Ottawa Gamerz

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:44

Restart the PC.

Activate.

does this mean i dont have to buy a key

#215 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:47

does this mean i dont have to buy a key

No. You have to buy the upgrade key. The above only allows for clean install/activation with the 'genuine' upgrade key.

#216 Ottawa Gamerz

Ottawa Gamerz

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:48

No. You have to buy the upgrade key. The above only allows for clean install/activation with the 'genuine' upgrade key.

i bought a key but cant use on 2 pcs any thoughts

#217 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:53

Yes. Buy another key ;) :)

#218 Ottawa Gamerz

Ottawa Gamerz

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:55

Yes. Buy another key ;) :)

thx for the big help doesnt hurt to ask

#219 carmatic

carmatic

oh cool i can change my member title

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:08

Are guys really that forgetfull,WIndows8 has a built in go back restore to just a Win8 install fresh....

what we really want to do is install windows 8 on a blank hard disk, and then have it activate

#220 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:14

Edit: Wrong thread

#221 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:28

Ok guys, I got it to work. If you want win8 on a new hdd/ssd just do like others have said.

First run the download assistant and buy your key for $40, and download the ISO unless you are on 32Bit and want to move to 64Bit like I did, then you'll have to download the 64bit ISO online etc.

Use the public KMLS? or whatever they're called keys that MS has posted, there's a link in this thread. This key will get you past install but WILL NOT activate your copy.

I connected my new SSD, disconnected all my other hdds, and rebooted to the USB key with 64bit Win8 Pro on it. Installed like normal with the public key I got off of MS's website. After that is done and you're in your new install just do the above posted register change and then run the activation app again but this time put in the key you paid $40 for and you're done.

I just did it and I'm good to go, reconnected my older drives and got ownership for them and I'm now on Win8 Pro 64bit without issue. Just gotta start installing my apps again, heh.

#222 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:53

Restart the PC.

Activate.

I've used this in the past with windows 7 upgrade media, to do a *full* clean install on an empty drive, So I don't see why it wouldn't work with 8. What happened with 7 when I used this method was:

Install normally, after installed activation would totally fail. Apply registry tweak, activate again and it worked.

#223 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:52

Right from the posts so far I think the following makes sense (and it tallies with how a Win7 install worked). Shane, whilst you've been generally right, I think you're mistaken in regards the issue of what type of key MS are supplying via the Upgrade Assistant and the purpose of the reg hack.

The upgrade assistant gives a RETAIL UPGRADE key since a RETAIL FULL key doesn't exist. An MSDN and OEM FULL key do exist though.

The Win8 media is basically all the same (although it's been mentioned the ISO via the Upgrade Assistant uses different files meaning it's packed differently, but it seems to be the same regardless).

Install to a completely BARE drive using the (upgrade) DVD/USB drive and enter your upgrade key. It will install fine, however it will then likely fail to activate.
Do the registry change mentioned a number of times. This changes Windows record of how it was installed from a full copy to an upgrade one. You may now have to reboot (sorry I can't remember from doing it with 7). You will now find that you can activate successfully.

Nope, it's to convert the install type Windows records from a 'full install' version to an 'upgrade' version, therefore allowing an upgrade key to successfully activate.

Well it wouldn't. The MSDN image is a full install and the upgrade key is an upgrade key therefore the registry change would be required.

Any one care to disprove this? Hopefully, this is the end to this now!

(Actually from memory, I think an slmgr command or two, from an elevated command prompt is required together with the registry change. I'll confirm in a mo when I can dig the info for Win7 up.... update - method 2 detailed here: http://www.winsupers...de-media-128512)

What you're doing with the Software License Manager is basically tricking it into believing a valid install happened.

What I was saying about the reg key is that the reg key is different between the 2 disc versions. In one version it appears one way after install, the other it appears the opposite.

What happens then ends up working, but then steps back into violating the license agreement territory.

Also my point wasn't that you couldn't figure out a way to force it to work, but that it didn't work by default. My point was that the key still determined install behavior, which it does.

I do wonder if that way around was left in intentionally or not. I also wonder how many rearms it will report the system has vs a normal install.

#224 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:07

Your license allows you to transfer it, not to use it simultaneously on both computers :) It's so cheap you may as well just get another key.

Ok guys, I got it to work. If you want win8 on a new hdd/ssd just do like others have said.

First run the download assistant and buy your key for $40, and download the ISO unless you are on 32Bit and want to move to 64Bit like I did, then you'll have to download the 64bit ISO online etc.

Use the public KMLS? or whatever they're called keys that MS has posted, there's a link in this thread. This key will get you past install but WILL NOT activate your copy.

I connected my new SSD, disconnected all my other hdds, and rebooted to the USB key with 64bit Win8 Pro on it. Installed like normal with the public key I got off of MS's website. After that is done and you're in your new install just do the above posted register change and then run the activation app again but this time put in the key you paid $40 for and you're done.

I just did it and I'm good to go, reconnected my older drives and got ownership for them and I'm now on Win8 Pro 64bit without issue. Just gotta start installing my apps again, heh.

If you add an EI.CFG to the /sources folder with the following data

Channel
_Default

You can do a keyless install :) If you need to edit the ISO you can use a program called Power ISO which will allow you to add the ei.cfg and save the ISO without messing the boot disk up. Or if you install from USB just stick it in the folder.

#225 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:16

I do wonder if that way around was left in intentionally or not.

I bet ms would rather have people doing this than pirating windows