win8

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#16 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:54

lol, good for you champ. I'm not the one writing /Facepalm after the end of my posts to purposely demean other posters so if you want to look at rule breaking, don't look much further ;)

#17 Brandon C.

Brandon C.

[REDACTED]

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:56

Please keep this on topic.

#18 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:56

I edited it to answer that specific question, and put in a report to staff. You are being ridiculous and I'm done.

I'm currently on hiatus so don't have access to information regarding that. I would recommend contacting one of the official support channels.

BTW I assume you tried getting the tool from the official Windows purchase site in Honduras right?
http://windows.micro...g_FPP_Null_Null

I actually used the one from the US store, but now I just tried again from the link you gave me, but it still gives me the same message :(

#19 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:57

So answer my damn question then, why are some people reporting that they couldn't perform a clean install and then legitimately activate their product with the upgrade disk but could with the MSDN disk? I'm looking for hard facts, not appeals to authority.

Shane is right, my guess is that those people are lying or not telling the full truth as to what they are doing. I plan on testing this myself soon anyways.

#20 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:57

How about the way they used to do it back in the Windows 98 days, where the installer asks you to insert the disc for your
old version of Windows, runs a security check to see that it's genuine, then proceed with the installation as normal ... ?

#21 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:58

I actually used the one from the US store, but now I just tried again from the link you gave me, but it still gives me the same message :(

Hmm that is a bit unusual then since as far as I know Honduras should be (not saying is as a definite) supported. The local MS Support group would probably have more information regarding any issues that may be happening.

Sorry that I don't have more info at the moment. :(

#22 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:59

Shane is right, my guess is that those people are lying or not telling the full truth as to what they are doing. I plan on testing this myself soon anyways.

What possible reason would someone have for doing that :/ It seems more common amongst those using the 14.99 upgrade so I'd wager there is difference in the install media.

#23 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 16:00

How about the way they used to do it back in the Windows 98 days, where the installer asks you to insert the disc for your
old version of Windows, runs a security check to see that it's genuine, then proceed with the installation as normal ... ?

That's what I was referring to when I said that it used to be the disc that determined the install type. There used to actually be upgrade/full install discs...and as long as you knew what you were doing you could use an install key to do a full install.

This is no longer the case since the key itself determines what happens. :)

What possible reason would someone have for doing that :/ It seems more common amongst those using the 14.99 upgrade so I'd wager there is difference in the install media.

This is my last time stating this, and it is fact not supposition. So please do not keep posting your doubts over and over again.

The KEY determines the install type, not the media.

The difference is who still has a base OS install that is eligible for upgrade vs those who do not. NOTHING prevents a clean install using those keys as long as there is still a base OS installed. You can reboot and do a completely clean install with the upgrade discs...as long as there is a base OS still present on the HD...you can even wipe the HD once it verifies an eligible license is present.

#24 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 16:01

With Windows 7 you could install the OS from the upgrade disk and it wouldn't activate, then you could install it again back over the top and provide a key and it would work :) Pretty sure that used to work with Vista as well so there is a chance they didn't fix it

I'm not condoning this though, as it is an upgrade disk and is meant to be used to upgrade your legitimately installed OEM or boxed product

#25 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 16:03

With Windows 7 you could install the OS from the upgrade disk and it wouldn't activate, then you could install it again back over the top and provide a key and it would work :) Pretty sure that used to work with Vista as well so there is a chance they didn't fix it

I'm not condoning this though, as it is an upgrade disk and is meant to be used to upgrade your legitimately installed OEM or boxed product

8 doesn't allow for a keyless install.

#26 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 26 October 2012 - 16:04

Then stop beating about the bush and give me an answer, why are multiple people posting that they had that problem with the upgrade media but not the MSDN disk? I'm not buying the argument that these people are lying without reason, so instead of running off and reporting me to the staff, give me a plausible explanation. I'm prepared to listen, I'm just looking for something a bit more compelling than "they're liars".

#27 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 16:06

I gave you the factual answer as it exists in reality. I've tried repeatedly to give you an answer, but you refuse to listen.

I've told you what would make the difference in those cases, but you refuse to accept it...once again I have to appeal to them to mediate this. :(

#28 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 26 October 2012 - 16:10

You haven't given me anything that approaches an answer, you just keep repeating that the key determines what they can do not the media. Which doesn't in any way explain what I'm hearing people say about the MSDN disks. If what you were telling me was true that phenomena wouldn't be reported, but it is. I haven't done anything wrong, I'm just asking for an explanation, and the fact that you're trying to have me censored for asking a question is frankly pretty sad. I'm breaking no rules here, I'm simply asking why some people are having trouble with the downloadable disk that they aren't with the MSDN disk, a question that isn't answered by saying "they're the same disk" :/

#29 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 16:15

You haven't given me anything that approaches an answer, you just keep repeating that the key determines what they can do not the media. Which doesn't in any way explain what I'm hearing people say about the MSDN disks. If what you were telling me was true that phenomena wouldn't be reported, but it is. I haven't done anything wrong, I'm just asking for an explanation, and the fact that you're trying to have me censored for asking a question is frankly pretty sad. I'm breaking no rules here, I'm simply asking why some people are having trouble with the downloadable disk that they aren't with the MSDN disk, a question that isn't answered by saying "they're the same disk" :/

I have given you the real genuine answer on this. The key determines the behavior. The discs are the same.

An upgrade key will NOT activate without a prior valid license having been present,

That's the problem though...you're not listening to the answer I'm giving you and that's why we keep going around in circles and why I refuse to take part in this silliness any further.

#30 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 26 October 2012 - 16:15

Hmm that is a bit unusual then since as far as I know Honduras should be (not saying is as a definite) supported. The local MS Support group would probably have more information regarding any issues that may be happening.

Sorry that I don't have more info at the moment. :(

I'm trying to find an email address on the MS site to ask for some help but that seems impossible to? They give you heaps of phone numbers but calling from here is kinda expensive