Can you install Windows 8 upgrade on a totally empty (ie new) drive?

Taken from that Davejunia link:

"It is clear from above that the Upgrade Assistant simply verifies if you qualify to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and if you do, allows you to purchase a Windows 8 Pro license. This license or product key is to a full version of Windows 8 Pro."

Great to read, as it'll do just what I need.

Taken from that Davejunia link:

"It is clear from above that the Upgrade Assistant simply verifies if you qualify to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and if you do, allows you to purchase a Windows 8 Pro license. This license or product key is to a full version of Windows 8 Pro."

Great to read, as it'll do just what I need.

Sorry, what was the direct link to that?

Was wondering about this too and just stumbled upon this thread.

I know with Windows 7 if you installed without entering a key on a blank drive an upgrade key would then fail activation (as per MS advice and what Shane says). However, there was a little know hack (sounds like that mentioned by Joni78 and Javik) that changes the format of the media used stored in the registry and allows an upgrade key to activate. Have used it a few times and it works just fine. In particular, it was useful for doing a fresh install (on blank/new drive) of a Win7 SP1 image rather than having to install an old Windows version, 'upgrade' using Win7 upgrade media + key, then apply SP1.

Wonder if similar is possible with Win 8? Is there definite confirmation?

So I'd need to get a copy of the MSDN media? (the discs are actually different this time, unlike with 7 and Vista)

You can also effectively turn your image into a full retail / MSDN image by adding an EI.CFG file into /sources with the following

[Channel]

_Default

Which will also allow your image to be used for a keyless install.

So what there is no way to ?clean install? using the upgrade disk with an existing windows 7 licence on the system but you can reinstall windows 7 clean and then upgrade? Have I got this right?

The only way to do a clean install is to make a DVD/USB media through the download assistant or order the $69.99 DVD which has 32bit/64bit on it. Then you have to boot off of that and pick a custom install and then take it from there. You know you're doing a clean install if it asks you where to install Windows 8 to. If you start the installer from within Windows 7 or Vista etc it doesn't do a clean install.

From what i've seen I should be able to get a DVD copy for $70 that has 32bit and 64bit on the disk then just boot off of that directly then do a custom install and pick my new SSD as the target for Windows 8 to install to. As long as my current Win7 install HDD is still connected it'll find it, scan it and then continue on. I haven't tested this of course but if anyone around here plans to do the same as me and install Win8 to a new drive then it should work as long as you boot directly from the DVD or USB drive and not start the install from within Windows itself.

The only way to do a clean install is to make a DVD/USB media through the download assistant or order the $69.99 DVD which has 32bit/64bit on it. Then you have to boot off of that and pick a custom install and then take it from there. You know you're doing a clean install if it asks you where to install Windows 8 to. If you start the installer from within Windows 7 or Vista etc it doesn't do a clean install.

From what i've seen I should be able to get a DVD copy for $70 that has 32bit and 64bit on the disk then just boot off of that directly then do a custom install and pick my new SSD as the target for Windows 8 to install to. As long as my current Win7 install HDD is still connected it'll find it, scan it and then continue on. I haven't tested this of course but if anyone around here plans to do the same as me and install Win8 to a new drive then it should work as long as you boot directly from the DVD or USB drive and not start the install from within Windows itself.

I get what you saying so in theory it should work on a second partition on the same HDD right? If the theory holds?

Update all see this looks like a yes to me http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

Let me just say this I can confirm the Windows Update assistant ISO is different than the MSDN one. I just got an upgrade dvd from the store. Instead of the install.wim file the Upgrade assistant created ISO has an Install.esd file instead. I found this out when I tried to integrate updates and the dism said it couldnt find the file. Thats when I noticed the slight difference.

Duplicated post from another thread:

So, If I go to best buy and get Windows 8 Pro for $69 and bring it home, will I be able to install it on a freshly formatted drive with no prior OS?

Duplicated post from another thread:

So, If I go to best buy and get Windows 8 Pro for $69 and bring it home, will I be able to install it on a freshly formatted drive with no prior OS?

That depends entirely on what keys are being put on the boxes. If they are giving out FPP's then yes. If they keys are upgrade keys then no.

I don't think anyone knows right now 100% for sure what is being done as far as that goes...this launch has been a bit confusing as regards what's going on with licenses.

That depends entirely on what keys are being put on the boxes. If they are giving out FPP's then yes. If they keys are upgrade keys then no.

I don't think anyone knows right now 100% for sure what is being done as far as that goes...this launch has been a bit confusing as regards what's going on with licenses.

Crap. Thanks. Hopefully someone will know for sure before the sale ends.

Wife and I each have a w7 pc. On mine I d/l w8pro iso via the assistant but now wish to install on her pc to try before I install on mine. Hers is a lower spec than mine and if I don't like w8 I am happy to stay on w7. Yes I know I should have thought of this before and d/l via the assistant direct to her pc. Essentially I wish to know if having run the assistant on my PC can I now install on hers and will it activate ok? Thanks

Crap. Thanks. Hopefully someone will know for sure before the sale ends.

The sale on the price of the boxed versions is going on for a while...unless you're referring to a specific super deal somewhere. :)

Wife and I each have a w7 pc. On mine I d/l w8pro iso via the assistant but now wish to install on her pc to try before I install on mine. Hers is a lower spec than mine and if I don't like w8 I am happy to stay on w7. Yes I know I should have thought of this before and d/l via the assistant direct to her pc. Essentially I wish to know if having run the assistant on my PC can I now install on hers and will it activate ok? Thanks

If you downloaded the install image and have the key? Then yes it will install fine as long as the machine has enough heft to run it...which if they both run 7 it should since 8 is even faster than 7. :)

I want to make sure I have this right, I can buy a copy of Windows 8 Pro upgrade from Amazon and boot from the DVD and delete my current Vista install. Then create a new partition for Windows 8, install it, and activate it, everything will be fine. If I ever replace my motherboard I can still use that copy of Windows 8.

Yes, the upgrade version of Windows 8 can be used to do a clean install without any previous version installed. I bought the upgrade from the Microsoft website, formatted my drive and installed it from a USB-drive with the MSDN version of Windows 8. It activated automatically and without issue.

Yes, the upgrade version of Windows 8 can be used to do a clean install without any previous version installed. I bought the upgrade from the Microsoft website, formatted my drive and installed it from a USB-drive with the MSDN version of Windows 8. It activated automatically and without issue.

So this was a bare drive without any sort of OS installed anywhere on the system?

I ask because you mention formatting the drive, but if it was a bare drive then this step would be done automatically during install & you shouldn't have needed to do it manually.

I want to make sure I have this right, I can buy a copy of Windows 8 Pro upgrade from Amazon and boot from the DVD and delete my current Vista install. Then create a new partition for Windows 8, install it, and activate it, everything will be fine. If I ever replace my motherboard I can still use that copy of Windows 8.

Yup, as long as you boot with the disk. It asks for your key in the beginning stages. These people did an article, http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm it has 20 pages with screen shots that takes you through the process.

So this was a bare drive without any sort of OS installed anywhere on the system?

I ask because you mention formatting the drive, but if it was a bare drive then this step would be done automatically during install & you shouldn't have needed to do it manually.

The previous install was the Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation, which I downloaded for free off the Microsoft website. When installing I booted off the USB-drive and deleted the existing partitions before proceeding so that it was installing on a clean drive; the installer may have picked that up but even if it did it's not checking whether the Windows licence is valid.

The previous install was the Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation, which I downloaded for free off the Microsoft website. When installing I booted off the USB-drive and deleted the existing partitions before proceeding so that it was installing on a clean drive; the installer may have picked that up but even if it did it's not checking whether the Windows licence is valid.

It very likely picked that up...which is why I was asking the question.

I also have no doubt that it picked it up as valid since the eval license is an actual license still...that would be in line with how prior versions of Windows have worked.

That's why I point out that I think a lot of people who are reporting that the keys are working for clean installs aren't understanding the difference between clean install and full install.

That's why I've been wanting someone to try it out on a completely bare drive...but I'm not seeing anyone reporting back on that. I would try it out myself but I do not have the spare cash at this moment. :(

It very likely picked that up...which is why I was asking the question.

I also have no doubt that it picked it up as valid since the eval license is an actual license still...that would be in line with how prior versions of Windows have worked.

That's why I point out that I think a lot of people who are reporting that the keys are working for clean installs aren't understanding the difference between clean install and full install.

That's why I've been wanting someone to try it out on a completely bare drive...but I'm not seeing anyone reporting back on that. I would try it out myself but I do not have the spare cash at this moment. :(

It wont activate, I just tried it. Product key was bought online and the disc I used was from the Win 8 Pro I bought from the store, The 2 disks are not the same ( the Upgrade assistant downloaded iso and the Pro box version). The install.wim file is different its labeled as install.esd in the upgrade assistant. This make me think they did something special for this It sucks because I cant integrate drivers if I used this method. I will have to figure something out. The error I get when activating specifically says I can only use it for upgrading not a clean install.

You can also effectively turn your image into a full retail / MSDN image by adding an EI.CFG file into /sources with the following Which will also allow your image to be used for a keyless install.

does this really work? where did you get this from?

Since this is becoming rather confusing, could you guys help me out a bit? My current PC has legit Windows 7 OEM. I will change my motherboard and CPU (thus my W7 license will go down the drain) and want to switch to Windows 8. How should I go on about this? Install fresh, cracked W7 and then upgrade to W8 as mentioned in the article or is there a better, more legit way?

Since this is becoming rather confusing, could you guys help me out a bit? My current PC has legit Windows 7 OEM. I will change my motherboard and CPU (thus my W7 license will go down the drain) and want to switch to Windows 8. How should I go on about this? Install fresh, cracked W7 and then upgrade to W8 as mentioned in the article or is there a better, more legit way?

Piracy talk not kosher here. Get a real prior OS license and then upgrade.