win8

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#61 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:12

That would be very odd I'd that were the case.

That would break the entire concept of the key controlling the install type. Well at least it would for this specific scenario.

Any info that backs that up out of curiosity?

Yes, it's odd why they did it like this. No info, I just tested it and it worked, I was sure it would complain about the fact I did a clean install when it tries to activate but no. It was a laptop with a new SSD I just reveived, booted from TechNet disc, used key from upgrade assistant, made partitions and formatted. After installation was complete it was activated.

#62 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:18

This is in reply to ir0nw0lf:

That would contradict the above posted information that the install image from the upgrade assistant is modified to prevent that very install scenario.

So once again we have contradictory information with no solution...so once again back to my original answer.

FPP keys will activate full or upgrade installs.

Upgrade keys will only activate upgrade installs.

Now if the key being sent is an FPP key then yes it will allow clean. If it is an upgrade key, then no.

So what key it is still determines the license and behavior.

#63 MurkWorks

MurkWorks

Neowinian

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:19

8 doesn't allow for a keyless install.

My company's VL downloaded copy does not require a key to install. To activate I have to enter the key, but not for the install.

#64 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:21

My company's VL downloaded copy does not require a key to install. To activate I have to enter the key, but not for the install.

We're talking about retail copies and upgrades in this thread. VL copies are different.

#65 carmatic

carmatic

oh cool i can change my member title

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:21

so we can conclude that, yes, my usb stick that the upgrade assistant turned into a bootable installer will in fact install and activate windows 8 on a brand new hard disk?

#66 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:25

Yes, it's odd why they did it like this. No info, I just tested it and it worked, I was sure it would complain about the fact I did a clean install when it tries to activate but no. It was a laptop with a new SSD I just reveived, booted from TechNet disc, used key from upgrade assistant, made partitions and formatted. After installation was complete it was activated.

In that case then it's an FPP key not an upgrade key.

So the answer still remains that the key determines the install type.

If they are handing out FPP keys that is awesome :)

so we can conclude that, yes, my usb stick that the upgrade assistant turned into a bootable installer will in fact install and activate windows 8 on a brand new hard disk?

Depends on what key you have and what info is true. Earlier someone said the upgrade assistant files have a modification that prevents it and someone else said no it doesn't.

It's a crap shoot knowing who is right and wrong at the moment evidently.

#67 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:31

This thread has gone back and forth so many times I'm getting dizzy. Looks like I'll be testing for myself over the weekend!!!

#68 +WildWayz

WildWayz

The Moose God

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:32

Gotta back Shane up here.

I just setup a VM using VirtualBox on a fresh install - no OS in the image. It accepted the key on install, but once installed was showing as not activated.
When going to the activate screen, it has no product key. If I enter it, it checks it and says it isn't valid for this install.

James

#69 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:37

I just setup a VM using VirtualBox on a fresh install - no OS in the image. It accepted the key on install, but once installed was showing as not activated.
When going to the activate screen, it has no product key. If I enter it, it checks it and says it isn't valid for this install.

James

Thanks James. To clarify did you use the image from the upgrade assistant or an MSDN image?

Trying to figure out that last point :)

#70 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

8 doesn't allow for a keyless install.

Actually you can if you use an answer file. I did this for testing in a VM using MDT 2012.

Does anyone know if you can buy this another way instead of that upgrade assistant? I need to buy multiple copies and I do not want to run this on every single machine.

#71 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

In that case then it's an FPP key not an upgrade key.

So the answer still remains that the key determines the install type.

If they are handing out FPP keys that is awesome :)

Depends on what key you have and what info is true. Earlier someone said the upgrade assistant files have a modification that prevents it and someone else said no it doesn't.

It's a crap shoot knowing who is right and wrong at the moment evidently.

If you check this key from your Windows 8 registry it should be "0" if you have TN/MSDN key and media.

Clean install with upgrade assistant key and it's downloaded media, you'll see that the key is "1", it fails to activate but changing that to "0" activates it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE]
"MediaBootInstall"=dword:00000000

It must be a FPP key.

#72 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:38

James

It has been suggested the media used makes a difference. Were you using the MSDN iso or the one downloaded with the upgrade assistant?

Edit: nevermind - multiple new posts since I started mine!

#73 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:39

Actually you can if you use an answer file. I did this for testing in a VM using MDT 2012.

Does anyone know if you can buy this another way instead of that upgrade assistant? I need to buy multiple copies and I do not want to run this on every single machine.

An answer file? You mean a modified disc image?

The only way to do what you're asking is boxed copies.

#74 +WildWayz

WildWayz

The Moose God

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:39

Thanks James. To clarify did you use the image from the upgrade assistant or an MSDN image?

Trying to figure out that last point :)

MSDN image from my MSDN account.... 32-Bit image to be precise :)

#75 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:40

James

Did you use the install media upgrade assistant downloaded?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!