Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:36

Not bad at all!

#18 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,546 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:56

The crowd energy and excitement over the device was obvious when customers, with each new purchase, the crowd erupted in applause.

That's saddening really.

#19 FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

• 7,148 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:17

That's saddening really.

Being happy is saddening? :huh:

#20 fehu

fehu

Neowinian

• 252 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:28

it scared me :/

#21 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,608 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:34

Being happy is saddening? :huh:

In this case I think it is. Being moved to applaud because a stranger bought something just isn't normal. Sometimes people take consumerism far too far.

#22 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:37

In this case I think it is. Being moved to applaud because a stranger bought something just isn't normal. Sometimes people take consumerism far too far.

My guess is that they were making fun of Apple fanboys. i would have done the same.

#23 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:37

I know - the cheering is mental. I can't imagine getting excited because a stranger bought something. I don't know if it's a problem with fanatics or just a problem with consumer culture but it certainly seems to be more prevalent in the US.

Queuing for a new product is also pretty alien to me (I think the people who queue overnight each time the latest incremental upgrade of an iPhone is released probably need professional help) but it is worth pointing out that the online orders for Surfaces are currently backed up by about three weeks. If you really want to get your hands on one you don't have any choice but to queue.

I've heard about some Apple Store employees in the US cheering when the first customer walks through the door :s Heh, I could understand them cheering when it's time to go home at the end of their shift, but not right at the start :p

#24 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,608 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:53

My guess is that they were making fun of Apple fanboys. i would have done the same.

Ah, that would be fine then. Shopping with a sense of irony is acceptable :laugh:

#25 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,379 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:58

I'm a huge tech enthusiast but these people are simply crazy. Why would you want to stand in line waiting when you can simply preorder it online? And what sort of person shouts out in excitement in front of a bunch of strangers? These people are called fanatics for a reason.

Except they're not called fanatics and they're not crazy. They're just normal people who happened be excited enough for a product to line up for it. You make it seem like it's a rare occurrence for people to do such a thing when it happens quite often (for product launches). It's not like they're going to suffer from serious health issues from waiting in line.

As for the cheering, I think that was a little unnecessary. I'd only do it if someone won something.

#26 +Chsoriano

Chsoriano

Neowinian Senior

• 1,578 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:18

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Microsoft paid those people to appear in lines.

Wow, what an ignorant comment. There were at least a couple hundred people in the line at the Microsoft Store in Houston. Everyone there was really excited also, and I don't think it was just because of the free donuts, water, candy, and hot chocolate.

Except they're not called fanatics and they're not crazy. They're just normal people who happened be excited enough for a product to line up for it. You make it seem like it's a rare occurrence for people to do such a thing when it happens quite often (for product launches). It's not like they're going to suffer from serious health issues from waiting in line.

As for the cheering, I think that was a little unnecessary. I'd only do it if someone won something.

Haha, yeah the cheering is unnecessary. They did that at the store I was at too but I'm not one to cheer for nothing either.

#27 mrdeezus

mrdeezus

Neowinian

• 283 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:27

While I am very happy to see the Surface doing well, I find these kinds of stories embarrassing and silly.

#28 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,475 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:24

While I am very happy to see the Surface doing well, I find these kinds of stories embarrassing and silly.

I think it's WAAAAY to early to say that Surface is doing well

#29 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:26

I think it's WAAAAY to early to say that Surface is doing well

It's doing well..

Ballmer just finished the WP8 announcement and mentioned that Windows 8 is selling more than Windows 7 did and that the Surface was exceeding expectations.

#30 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,940 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:49

Maybe they cheered because one sales means they're one spot closer to buying and getting out of there with their great new surface?