win8

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One S

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:26

I can't figure out how to enable the glass look, unless my computer is too old. It has that defaulted standard theme. I searched everything and can't find the option. Thanks for the help.

#2 +PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 1020)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:27

You can't. It's gone. It looked out of place.

#3 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:28

You can't have Aero on Windows 8? :cry: That's terrible, I guess I'll revert back to Windows 7 then :s

#4 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:28

They removed the Aero Glass effect from Windows 8. The taskbar itself is still transparent. There is a chance Stardock's application WindowBlinds will bring Transparency however, just as it did to XP.

#5 Copernic

Copernic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:29

Enable And Customize Aero Glass In Windows 8

Aero8Tuner

Aero Lite Tweaker

#6 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:31

That's awful they removed Aero, I don't even care about START but Aero is a must have for me :pinch: Thanks for that link, I'll check it out however this is terrible. Any chance they will enable Aero? I really hate these opaque windows.

#7 deleted_acc

deleted_acc

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:43

That's awful they removed Aero, I don't even care about START but Aero is a must have for me :pinch: Thanks for that link, I'll check it out however this is terrible. Any chance they will enable Aero? I really hate these opaque windows.

no, aero glass is gone

#8 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:47

They removed it, 'cause Aero Glass didn't look modern to them anymore. Gotta ask how Metro fits into that picture as it's just senseless oversimplification...

#9 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:49

Aero is still there, however Glass is not.

#10 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 15:59

I can't even find Aero, where is it? Also how can I enable Aero Lite in Windows 8 the retail edition? All of these sites seem to mention RTM. I'll be happy with even a provisional and lite version. I just want some degree of transparency/glass back :/ Thanks.

#11 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 19:25

I can't even find Aero, where is it? Also how can I enable Aero Lite in Windows 8 the retail edition? All of these sites seem to mention RTM. I'll be happy with even a provisional and lite version. I just want some degree of transparency/glass back :/ Thanks.

RTM is the retail edition. RTM stands for Release to Manufacturer. It is the version that Is shipped on the discs to stores, and to OEMs for use in preinstall for machines.

You don't even have to look for Aero. It's enabled by default. Aero and Glass are two separate things.

So if you have Windows 8 turned on and you're seeing the new theme and your taskbar is still semi-transparent everything is working as it should.

#12 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 October 2012 - 19:27

You can use the theme from the release preview. Won't bring glass back, but it will look a little less vile than the final UI

#13 aviator189

aviator189

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 19:27

You sure you know what aero really is? And what glass really is? I think you're misunderstanding.

#14 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 19:31

RTM is the retail edition. RTM stands for Release to Manufacturer. It is the version that Is shipped on the discs to stores, and to OEMs for use in preinstall for machines.

You don't even have to look for Aero. It's enabled by default. Aero and Glass are two separate things.

So if you have Windows 8 turned on and you're seeing the new theme and your taskbar is still semi-transparent everything is working as it should.

I meant to say RC, and thanks for the info I dislike the theme is the issue and prefer the Windows 7 look.

You can use the theme from the release preview. Won't bring glass back, but it will look a little less vile than the final UI

How? The one link referenced RC or some preview builds.

You sure you know what aero really is? And what glass really is? I think you're misunderstanding.

I did initially confuse them but have since ascertained the correct info, thanks.

I can't get the download to work, the one posted http://www.thewindow...ro-lite-tweaker

#15 Panda X

Panda X

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 19:39

I think you're getting Aero confused with DWM. Aero was the overall theme, which is now styled to Metro which means it isn't aero. DWM is enabled by default.