MBP (Mid-2010) Hard Drive Replacement

Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace the hard drive on one of my machines at home and was wondering if I could get some help with selecting an appropriate hard drive for my system.

I looked at iFixit's guide and found it relatively simple (I hope!) to change one out. The local Apple retailer here in Singapore quoted me $700 SGD (almost $600 USD) to change it for me, that's absurd.

I can't seem to however find the requirements for a drive for my machine. The lingo is out of my league, here is what I know:

I need a SATA, 2.5" hard drive. There is however, a lot of conflicting articles on cache size etc.

What do I need to look out for? It would be great if someone can give me a clear cut answer... :)

Cheers and thanks!

there are pretty much similar nowadays. mine came with the hitachi, wifes came with seagate, both 5400rpm drives.

personally I'd avoid the western digital ones because of the park clicking noise that pretty annoying. i'm ok with the 5400rpm drives, but its also possible to use the 7200rpm drives or ssd. the ssd would be silent, best performance but a 512gb ssd costs around 280euros.