pennsylvania india citizen grandmother killed

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,181 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 19:38

before I answer that, let me ask a question first: the guy in THIS story, do you feel he should be sentenced to death or let go for a second chance?

I think he should get a life sentence to protect people from him. I don't think i have the right to chose if this guy must live or not.

#32 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

• 3,907 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 20:45

I think he should get a life sentence to protect people from him. I don't think i have the right to chose if this guy must live or not.

here is the trick to it... you said "you don't have the right to choose" but HE is making that choice for others. He is deciding if anyone lives or dies. That right of his must be taken away. A life sentence is typical for murders but at what cost? Did you know a lifer is anywhere from $70,000-$120,000 a year costs dependent on the criminal? So life (only 25 years in the US and Canada) will bring a minimum cost of $1.7- $3 million dollars IF he gets out after 25 years which some of the hard core offenders serve indefinatly. Based on his age he could live 50 years in prison bringing up the cost to $3.4-$6 million to hold him.

Take that number now and multiply it by the number of all the murders in prison right now either sitting on death row or serving life sentences (or close to it)... All this money could be used for other things. Making schools safer, better, stronger. Making hospitals safer, better stronger. Making our economies better, safer stronger. These "killers" take every one down with them in terms of society costs.. The cost of supporting criminals could be used in the search to cure cancer, cure aids, cure your herpes, cure whatever! A quicker more extreme justice system needs to implemented. I would suggest starting with killers. I would be shocked if anyone would disagree.

#33 Digit12345

Digit12345

Neowinian

• 109 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 00:21

It's a strange comment from a canadian as Canada as a lower murders rate per capita than USA which has death penality.

http://en.wikipedia....l_homicide_rate

Not sure if you're implying that murder rates are linked to the death penalty but regardless, I find that notion a bit silly. Looking at it one way, it's ridiculous to suggest that people are willing to commit more crimes when they consciously know the penalty is death. So that can't be it. Perhaps you're suggesting that a society that supports the death penalty is naturally more violent and thus generates higher crime rates. Perhaps there is some truth to it but the two concepts aren't mutual. If there is any link, it's probably FAR weaker than other social or economic factors. I highly doubt removing the death penalty would magically change crime rates. Work to prevent the source of fires primarily, and how to put it out secondarily.

#34 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 00:29

before I answer that, let me ask a question first: the guy in THIS story, do you feel he should be sentenced to death or let go for a second chance?

He should be put to death immediately. I am for second chances, and for not condemning to death if there is even a remote chance of innocent, but on someone like this, shoot them.

#35 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,181 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 13:58

Not sure if you're implying that murder rates are linked to the death penalty but regardless, I find that notion a bit silly.

I did not imply it he did (rippleman). Read the message i was replying to please.

#36 Digit12345

Digit12345

Neowinian

• 109 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 22:48

I did not imply it he did (rippleman). Read the message i was replying to please.

The guy you're replying to said that murder rates would drop significantly with the death penalty which I can't say speak to the validity of, but my post was specifically addressing that claiming the opposite is also likely inconclusive. If you didn't mean to suggest that in your posts, then I apologize but your posts are a bit ambiguous and seem to suggest otherwise.

It's a strange comment from a canadian as Canada as a lower murders rate per capita than USA which has death penality.

http://en.wikipedia....l_homicide_rate

Is not the death penality a reflect of the culture ?