Friend planned $50K kidnapping, but baby died

i meant it kind of two fold sarcastically ..yes, the killers would be dead, so scratch them off the list. I think too if people KNEW that the sentence for murder was the cost of your OWN life, it would deter the pre-planned murders. You would still have flash anger killings since people are not thinking 100% clear in times like that (example: walking in on your wife will she is voluntarily having sex with her boyfriend). Over all, there would be a DRASTIC drop in killings since most killers are scared only for 1 thing, their own life.

It's a strange comment from a canadian as Canada as a lower murders rate per capita than USA which has death penality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

It's a strange comment from a canadian as Canada as a lower murders rate per capita than USA which has death penality.

http://en.wikipedia....l_homicide_rate

i wouldn't mix up culture with crime... even though I know what the numbers seem to imply at first.

edit: errr... not sure how to put it into words, may not be the correct wording...

i wouldn't mix up culture with crime... even though I know what the numbers seem to imply at first.

Is not the death penality a reflect of the culture ?

1) Then it sucks to be that person. There is no such thing as a perfect system.

2) Second chances is a VERY expensive gamble. You gamble they won't reoffend at the cost of millions of dollars.

Inefficiency is the downfall. Make it efficient. If someone murders on a Monday and its without a shadow of a doubt they did it? or plead guilty? They die on Friday.

And what if you were the person? Sure it's a statistic, but even if 0.01% of the convictions were incorrect, then why must an innocent person sacrifice?

Efficiency? We're talking about a human life here... whether they deserve to live or not, I think life has infinite value.

And what if you were the person? Sure it's a statistic, but even if 0.01% of the convictions were incorrect, then why must an innocent person sacrifice?

Efficiency? We're talking about a human life here... whether they deserve to live or not, I think life has infinite value.

sometimes bad sh*t happens to good people. that 1 falsely accused life is NOT worth the lives of thousands of others who could be saved by not taking chances with ALL killers. Are the "unfalesly accused" innocent people not important too?

before I answer that, let me ask a question first: the guy in THIS story, do you feel he should be sentenced to death or let go for a second chance?

before I answer that, let me ask a question first: the guy in THIS story, do you feel he should be sentenced to death or let go for a second chance?

I think he should get a life sentence to protect people from him. I don't think i have the right to chose if this guy must live or not.

I think he should get a life sentence to protect people from him. I don't think i have the right to chose if this guy must live or not.

here is the trick to it... you said "you don't have the right to choose" but HE is making that choice for others. He is deciding if anyone lives or dies. That right of his must be taken away. A life sentence is typical for murders but at what cost? Did you know a lifer is anywhere from $70,000-$120,000 a year costs dependent on the criminal? So life (only 25 years in the US and Canada) will bring a minimum cost of $1.7- $3 million dollars IF he gets out after 25 years which some of the hard core offenders serve indefinatly. Based on his age he could live 50 years in prison bringing up the cost to $3.4-$6 million to hold him.

Take that number now and multiply it by the number of all the murders in prison right now either sitting on death row or serving life sentences (or close to it)... All this money could be used for other things. Making schools safer, better, stronger. Making hospitals safer, better stronger. Making our economies better, safer stronger. These "killers" take every one down with them in terms of society costs.. The cost of supporting criminals could be used in the search to cure cancer, cure aids, cure your herpes, cure whatever! A quicker more extreme justice system needs to implemented. I would suggest starting with killers. I would be shocked if anyone would disagree.

Not sure if you're implying that murder rates are linked to the death penalty but regardless, I find that notion a bit silly. Looking at it one way, it's ridiculous to suggest that people are willing to commit more crimes when they consciously know the penalty is death. So that can't be it. Perhaps you're suggesting that a society that supports the death penalty is naturally more violent and thus generates higher crime rates. Perhaps there is some truth to it but the two concepts aren't mutual. If there is any link, it's probably FAR weaker than other social or economic factors. I highly doubt removing the death penalty would magically change crime rates. Work to prevent the source of fires primarily, and how to put it out secondarily.

He should be put to death immediately. I am for second chances, and for not condemning to death if there is even a remote chance of innocent, but on someone like this, shoot them.

Not sure if you're implying that murder rates are linked to the death penalty but regardless, I find that notion a bit silly.

I did not imply it he did (rippleman). Read the message i was replying to please.

I did not imply it he did (rippleman). Read the message i was replying to please.

The guy you're replying to said that murder rates would drop significantly with the death penalty which I can't say speak to the validity of, but my post was specifically addressing that claiming the opposite is also likely inconclusive. If you didn't mean to suggest that in your posts, then I apologize but your posts are a bit ambiguous and seem to suggest otherwise.