• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:39

Go on. Explain.

I fail to see why he needs to explain the obvious. BUt that's off opic anyway.

#32 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:51

If you plan to read books i would say stick with the iPad.

If you want to work probably a Surface but wait for the pro (and if i were you i would buy an Ultrabook if work is a concern).

why are you so sure that the Surface wont be good for reading books? Since there's already the Kindle app, there's definitely no shortage in selection of books available

#33 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:51

Ipad: watching video, music, books, internet,
surface: prodcutivity

Well the surface surely works for videos, music and internet. Not sure about reading books though. But for books (if this is the main buying factor) i would actually go with a smaller form factor than the iPad and Surface. Nexus, iPad Mini, Kindle or Nook.

#34 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:53

Well the surface surely works for videos, music and internet. Not sure about reading books though. But for books (if this is the main buying factor) i would actually go with a smaller form factor than the iPad and Surface. Nexus, iPad Mini, Kindle or Nook.

now you're just contradicting yourself

If you plan to read books i would say stick with the iPad.

#35 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:03

now you're just contradicting yourself

Well i don't see how i contradict myself.

He already owns an iPad. I don't see the point of changing it if media consumption if it's the main reason he bought it.

I my first post i was replying to the op. In my second post i was replying to Moloko.

To the op i said if you bought your iPad to read books (which a lot of people did i know 2 of them) then there's no point changing it for a Surface. If you bought it to work then think about it but think about Ultrabook too. The point is he did not tell us why he bought the iPad how are we supposed to know if he should change it.

Moloko tought i was saying the Surface was not good for media consumption as a whole. I simply replied i think it's surely a fine tablet for watching videos and browsing the web and that i was in no way implying it was not good for media consumption. But for reading books it's a little big in my very and totally humble opinion. My point was only that for those uses it's not better than an iPad. If he's gonna change and reading book is important then change for a 7 inches form factor. But i don't recommend changing it if work is not a concern. Too much people change their toys for no reason these days. Owning the last tech is not important. If it does the job keep it.

#36 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:47

To know if the current Win app store is sufficient or not is up to YOU. Check out their store and see if it meets your needs.

#37 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:52

In which case Surface, with its Quad Core Tegra 3 chipset, beats the iPad in the graphics power department!!!!

I am going by AnandTech's speculation that iPad4's graphics is almost double the speed of iPad3.

Please point to benchmarks where Tegra3 beats PowerVR SGX 554MP4 foundin iPad 4?

#38 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:01

I think (for me) ipad is good for reading because of the form factor not size. Yes I have a nook to read my novels but magazines, pdfs, and manuals are best on a ipad compared to any widescreen shaped tablet.

yes all tablets play video and music, and pics etc, etc. I was saying that Instead of paying for 800$+ you can get a 400$ ipad for that stuff.

#39 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:29

I was saying that Instead of paying for 800$+ you can get a 400$ ipad for that stuff.

$800+? For what? Surface is only $499... and you're using the iPad 2 as a price comparison instead of iPad 3 or iPad 4.

#40 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:40

$800+? For what? Surface is only $499... and you're using the iPad 2 as a price comparison instead of iPad 3 or iPad 4.

Basing my pricing off of Samsung and other win8 devices for productivity which I would think cost around the same for what MS will bring out. Yup my bad on the ipad 2.

For me ipad2 < surface < new ipad < surface pro. It is a step ladder each has its good and bad. Really the only one EACH person can choose is to try out each device and see if it fits with what he or she has in mind for it.

for me Ipad 2 is perfect form factor but if another company made a device in the same form factor with android with today's specs i would rather have that.

#41 OP wivelden

wivelden

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:14

Well it seems I couldn't return the iPad after all as it wasn't covered under Argos's 30 day money back deal.
So now I am looking to sell it at a loss. Its all boxed up ready to go. To be honest I've not missed it and its been sat here in the box for over a week.

#42 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: WP8

Posted 06 November 2012 - 13:07

Unless you're doing .NET, you're probably building on a Unixy stack. Most of the web runs on the latter. In light of this, it's downright silly to equate use of Windows to professionalism.

Except we do use .NET. If you see a web studio touting development and then spot a bank of flashy iMacs - be very careful.

#43 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 November 2012 - 13:51

Except we do use .NET. If you see a web studio touting development and then spot a bank of flashy iMacs - be very careful.

And why would you need to be careful?

#44 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 06 November 2012 - 14:08

And why would you need to be careful?

Because they most likely are Hipsters on Rails.

(Joke. Not serious.)

I don't see any problem with either platform for web development to be fair. I mostly use Windows but there are times I work on OS X. There are great tools for both.

On topic: Ditch the iPad! The Surface is an exciting little piece of hardware. iPad has become tremendously boring - at least for me.

#45 mart24x7

mart24x7

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2012 - 14:09

I used iPad every day for the last year and a bit... except from latnight when my Surface got delivered. So far (24 hours) I've not looked back.

I did not choose to make the switch because of app choice, after all who cares that I could download 250,000 apps when in reality I would only end up using a few of them. Infact most of the apps that i used are now built right into the surface. One example, I can now remote desktop to my servers from home using the touch cover wheres on iPad it was a fiddly time comsuming afair, Best of all its a bundled app.