The best way to take a screenshot in WinRT

Pretty sure this is the best forum for this but feel free to move. :)

People have been asking how to take screenshots on WinRT due to the lack of an obvious Print screen key.

The standard response is "Win button + Volume down" (on the Surface), and yes, that will take a full screen screenshot.

What people don't usually know is that Onenote actually has an awesome screenshot tool, similar to the snipping tool but it doesn't require you to open another app, just to have the "send to onenote" window open. Hit Win + S on your keyboard and your screen will grey out and a little crosshair will pop up. Click and drag over the item of interest. The first time you do this it will prompt you where to save the clip. For me, the easiest is to select "Don't ask again and do the following", then click "Save to Clipboard"

Now whenever you invoke that shortcut, it will save the snip to your clipboard to be pasted into anything. Apps that support the direct paste include the Mail app, the office suite, Fresh Paint, and others.

Hope this helps somebody :) It's the same as in previous versions of Office, but it seems most people don't know OneNote or its capabilities.

• Like 1

I didn't know OneNote did that. Thanks for sharing that tip! (I know this doesn't help you, and I apologize in advance...but in a way you helped me, so thumbs up! (Y) )

I didn't know OneNote did that. Thanks for sharing that tip! (I know this doesn't help you, and I apologize in advance...but in a way you helped me, so thumbs up! (Y) )

No need to apologize, just putting this out there to help others ??

Thanks for the tip!

Anyone figure out how to take a picture from your pictures library and put it to skydrive without going to the desktop?

I want to learn metro better and I want to be able to upload it via metro.

So far im loving this thing

Assuming you have the Skydrive Metro app, you can upload it from within that - or open the picture in the photos app, and use the share charm to send it to Skydrive.