• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#1 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:28

Just go to the link. Read what the man says and post your opinion.

Source:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2411445,00.asp

#2 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

• 2,042 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:31

"it became clearer than ever to me that Microsoft had never actually intended the Start screen and the Desktop to work together"

That's weird, because they work together fine for me.
Maybe he has a buggy version.

#3 PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• 1,290 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone (HD7)

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:32

Here's my opinion: That guy is a dumbass.

As a professional developer I find that Windows 8 is great and really easy to use.

#4 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,511 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:33

Been using 8 for almost a year now on a desktop, took a few months but I prefer it to 7 by any means now. Far more user intuitive and the app store shows real promise. Can't wait until the majority of my apps are metro based, desktop is starting to feel ancient.

#5 skilithead

skilithead

Neowinian

• 251 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:37

LOL . What a sad little man . Desktop works just fine for me . I love being able to pin open apps ,and preview open windows just by hovering .Sure ,touch would be nice , but my arms aren't that long !

#6 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:43

He is stating his opinion and I don't think he is wrong at all. The first time I tried windows 8, used a bit for a day and then got tired of it, uninstalled it and went back to 7. It was only later when Start8 came that reinstalling windows 8 could become a possibility (of course there are other alternatives and free, I'm just stating this one because it works wonders), tried it a gain with a start menu third party app... Windows 8 became what it should be no hassle, but I will say it again, whoever thought the start screen is a replacement for the start menu is wrong... is just plain wrong, at best is an alternative and very inefficient at it.

Options should be always available when they want to execute such dramatic changes... and I'm sparing the fact that they removed the transparencies and put an horrid plain color on all the windows, not to mention, the white that often get's me blind.

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,339 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:43

No disaster here, and I've been using Windows 8 on nothing but for the past year. People need to get over this whole "touch only" BS. Take your damn mouse and move the frakkin thing. That's what it was designed to do. It's not that hard. You also have a scroll wheel that does wonders with the OS.

#8 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,210 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:46

Windows 8 is excellent on desktops and laptops; much better than any previous version of Windows because the new experience is how computing should be. I've enjoyed using the new Windows 8 experience on my laptop daily, since February.

No disaster here, and I've been using Windows 8 on nothing but for the past year. People need to get over this whole "touch only" BS. Take your damn mouse and move the frakkin thing. It's not that hard to do.

It's ridiculous, and unfortunately, much of the media are wrongly trying to claim that the new Windows 8 experience is harder to use with a mouse and keyboard, :s influencing many readers who haven't tried Windows 8 to believe that rubbish. It doesn't make any sense.

#9 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:47

I'm mixed, however Arceles has it spot on.

#10 aviator189

aviator189

Neowinian

• 886 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:49

I love windows 8 but i think ms could have avoided a lot of flack by just including the start menu. I mean, what was so horrible about keeping it??

well, start8 is still there and many others.

#11 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,762 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:49

Here's my opinion: That guy is a dumbass.

As a professional developer I find that Windows 8 is great and really easy to use.

I like how stating their opinions makes someone a "dumbass" around here.

I agree with Arceles, also.

#12 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:50

Windows 8 is excellent on desktops and laptops; much better than any previous version of Windows because the new experience is how computing should be. I've enjoyed using the new Windows 8 experience on my laptop daily, since February.

It's ridiculous, and unfortunately, much of the media are wrongly trying to claim that the new Windows 8 experience is harder to use with a mouse and keyboard, :s influencing many readers who haven't tried Windows 8 to believe that rubbish. It doesn't make any sense.

It is difficult to use with only the mouse and keyboard, because if you want to, you have to remember every single command that the Start Menu used to do with just a click. That's why windows 8 is only alright with a start menu replacement, otherwise becomes very tiresome to re-learn to use the Start Screen, just to do what the Start Menu already did but this time slower.

#13 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,339 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:51

I'm honestly not sure why this is even an issue. If people are *that* afraid of moving their mouse, why do they even have one to begin with? In Windows 8 apps, I am moving the cursor around just as much as I did in any Windows 7 app.

Anyway this argument has been done to death. Not sure why it needed Resurrected.

#14 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,519 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:52

most of these articles are written by people who bought into the ipad hype, or bought an android device, and now when this cool new thing is out, they dont want it to succeed because they feel the attention is not on them anymore or the product they're using.

i was at best buy last night,and there were dozens of people at the windows 8 computer section,and zero on the apple and android side. In the 15 minutes i was there, they sold 4 windows 8 laptops, 2 windows 8 tablets, and 2 windows 8 desktops,and the rest of the store was pretty much dead. There was an individual that came in that was asking about the surface,and when the employee informed him that its only available at the microsoft store, which is a little bit of a drive from this location, he cursed. He didn't even know too much about how to use the OS, so the employee was showing him around and the guy had a big smile on his face.

#15 a1ien

a1ien

Neowinian

• 674 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:52

I agree 100% with this article. Now Start8 fixes most of the problem - although I'd still like to get Aero Glass back.

Dot Matrix does not understand that mice are best for small precise movements and lots of clicking. Swiping the mouse all over the screen is slow and stupid.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!