Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster

I used to respect this place as a tech forum. Now it's just a Microsoft lovein. Reading the tone of most posts around here you'd think that it's Microsoft that own a share in Neowin, not Stardock.

• Like 3

Bravery level of this thread: 11/10

I used to respect this place as a tech forum. Now it's just a Microsoft lovein. Reading the tone of most posts around here you'd think that it's Microsoft that own a share in Neowin, not Stardock.

So brave.

• Like 2

+2

Trouble is, those who disagree with those who are proclaiming Windows 8 as a wonderful piece of work, are somehow labelled as 'haters', 'trolls' and/or whining babies, just because we don't agree with their point of view.

If you like Windows 8, good, then use it. I don't, so I wont use it, which is also good.

It goes both ways, though. Those who actually like it are labeled as 'fanboys', 'trolls' and or part of a 'viral marketing firm'.

If you don't like Windows 8, then don't use it or at least alter it in such a way that suits you. I'll just sit here and read the back and forth between "fans" and "haters" when I have nothing else to do. I sometimes respond but if you'll gonna look at it, there is nothing new with the arguments being raised. Both sides are just repeating whatever they have said to criticize/defend this polarizing OS.

• Like 2

god damn this is going nuclear facepalm

just use whatever floats your damn boat but don't go sinking others.

grow the hell up everyone. I'm saying this to all sides on this. This is what's been taking over this entire forum and it's getting boring... LOL

As with Vista, Windows 8 is just an OS that seems to be polarising people it would seem.

Very true

I've been a loyal Microsoft user for 10 years (apart from smartphones, there it's all Android), so nice excuse but no. I really do just dislike it. As I seem to keep needing to point out to the many shills on this forum you have no right to tell other people what does and does not count as a valid usability complaint, because usability is a very personal matter, and a very important one. You love the start screen? good for you. Stop slapping those of us that don't down as if we have some kind of mental deficiency, it's rude and insulting.

If that was addressed to me, then please stop bellyaching and trying to create a ballyhoo.

No where did I say that people that don't like it have some kind of mental deficiency, those were your words embellished to try to start one of those there internet arguments. Why don't you go ahead and read it again, this time with less projection.

If it wasn't towards my comment, then ignore and go on your argumentative way.

I've been a loyal Microsoft user for 10 years (apart from smartphones, there it's all Android), so nice excuse but no. I really do just dislike it. As I seem to keep needing to point out to the many shills on this forum you have no right to tell other people what does and does not count as a valid usability complaint, because usability is a very personal matter, and a very important one. You love the start screen? good for you. Stop slapping those of us that don't down as if we have some kind of mental deficiency, it's rude and insulting.

I wasn't very positive about Windows 8 when I tried the CP, but I decided to give it a try anyway and I bought two licenses for my Macbook Pro and desktop because well.. that's where we're going anyway, that's the direction Microsoft is taking... I'm using Start8 and I got to admit Windows 8 is growing on me slowly.

I still think the modern apps are a waste of time on a non-touch computer and I don't use them, but the desktop part is very impressive. It's fast, slick, light on memory.. and the new theme without transparency is pretty cool when you get used to it.

yeah, but as I said before you get that same banner pop up when it realizes there are updates to install, but just says "updates available" and happens over and over again until you install them or tell them no.. every time I log in I get that banner, windows 7 at least its just a system tray icon and not intrusive at all.. windows 8 it pops up in the middle of doing something, right at login, when ever and takes away the entire screen until you answer it

HVjc5.png

that is just annoying in the middle of work (i know that is someones mockup, but its the only image i can find right now and im not at home to get a screen shot of it at the moment)

I was just reading a few tech sites that call this "making windows updates less annoying"... how? by annoying us more?!

then I get this full screen banner pop up every time I try to run some apps I wrote myself....

windows-8-smartscreen.png?6cc8a5

once again someone elses screen shot but that is what I get

So, in other words, you want to run all over your OS? Smartscreen is there for a reason. Any self respected developer should be signing their apps. These pop ups are no more annoying than any other pop up you get from the OS.

+2

Trouble is, those who disagree with those who are proclaiming Windows 8 as a wonderful piece of work, are somehow labelled as 'haters', 'trolls' and/or whining babies, just because we don't agree with their point of view.

If you like Windows 8, good, then use it. I don't, so I wont use it, which is also good.

I think the whiney haters have been posting SO MANY posts in forums about the hate for windows 8 that win8 likers are just fed up entirely. There's a million posts about windows 8 sucking there is no need to keep starting more for each user. Last I checked Neowin offered a blog.

just use whatever floats your damn boat but don't go sinking others.

grow the hell up everyone. I'm saying this to all sides on this. This is what's been taking over this entire forum and it's getting boring... LOL

Me too but no one listens. It's like talking to a tree.

So, in other words, you want to run all over your OS? Smartscreen is there for a reason. Any self respected developer should be signing their apps. These pop ups are no more annoying than any other pop up you get from the OS.

good greif did you miss the point? I am saying why are we getting full screen prompts and banners that take over what you are doing this has nothing to do with smartscreen but the fact its one of the ones that is showing it

good greif did you miss the point? I am saying why are we getting full screen prompts and banners that take over what you are doing this has nothing to do with smartscreen but the fact its one of the ones that is showing it

How do they take over what you are doing? They take over no more than the old 9x prompts did. I also don't know how you are seeing all these prompts. I ran Windows 8 from the DP on up to RTM, and I think I've only ever seen THREE total prompts. That includes WU. And I ran on default settings.

Funny..I have never seen those big banners. Windows 8 instead tells me I have updates on the main screen when I log in or if I go to the Metro Menu I will see it on the top right corner.

My only gripe with the desktop experience is shutting down - it would have been perfect if there was a shutdown button directly on the charms bar. But hey, pressing Alt-F4 isn't half bad either! [. . .]

I don't see how they could have added that to the Charms bar without ruining the design and UI. I do think that them placing it in the Settings area may have not been appropriate, though, even though I don't mind the extra click (as no one should). Perhaps placing it in the user drop-down on the Start screen would have been the best idea, as there are other similar options there (e.g. locking the PC).

How do they take over what you are doing? They take over no more than the old 9x prompts did. I also don't know how you are seeing all these prompts. I ran Windows 8 from the DP on up to RTM, and I think I've only ever seen THREE total prompts. That includes WU. And I ran on default settings.

I've never had a 9x prompt take the entire screen away by dimming the screen to show a huge ass banner across it

I don't see how they could have added that to the Charms bar without ruining the design and UI. I do think that them placing it in the Settings area may have not been appropriate, though, even though I don't mind the extra click (as no one should). Perhaps placing it in the user drop-down on the Start screen would have been the best idea, as there are other similar options there (e.g. locking the PC).

If they had shutdown and logout as options on the start screen it would of been so much nicer then having to log out then shut down if you are going the start screen route (not talking about the charm bar route)

I've never had a 9x prompt take the entire screen away by dimming the screen to show a huge ass banner across it

If they had shutdown and logout as options on the start screen it would of been so much nicer then having to log out then shut down if you are going the start screen route (not talking about the charm bar route)

UAC?