windows 8

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#211 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,713 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 19:14

This. I was copying 200GB to an external drive and the reboot thing popped up. I had 4 mins before it would auto-reboot. I'm like "yeah whatever". Well, when it wants to reboot, it will.

I'm starting to notice more of these annoying banner pop-ups for other things also... looks like windows update isn't the only one

#212 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,886 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 19:17

Lol people are spending money to get their beloved Start menu back? *facepalm*

Modern UI isn't THAT bad. It's called learning something new, but most of the detractors act like 5 years olds and go "WELL I DON'T WANNA, HMPH!".

Ahh my old friend the "it's newer so it must be better" mantra. It's my call to make usability decisions not yours ;) when I consider a change to be worth adapting to (like the superbar) I will adapt to it.

#213 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,819 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 19:29

for the updates, you can always put "update" on the start8 search part and it will bring the windows update window, that's one thing that I missed of the start screen.

I'm not using start 8, I just pinned the control panel icon to the classic taskbar, and its jump list includes windows update (and some other useful items)

I slightly prefer the classic start menu to the metro screen, although I'm not sure if I like it enough to pay 5 dollars, I may give start8 a try though :D. After pinning my most used stuff to the taskbar I have no huge issues.

#214 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,819 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 19:34

I'm not talking about getting to updates, I am talking about Windows filling your whole screen with a banner saying there are updates available.... when it finds them it littearly draws the whole screen dimmed then puts a banner across the screen saying "Updates available download now?" in a big banner box that just pops up outa no where

I can't find a pic of the you have updates banner but here is one I found of it wanting restarted after the updates install... this even pops up on the desktop, no more bubble non-intrusive updates messages....

Posted Image

I personally love this quote

not how its working for me, it just pops up in the middle of doing anything which is more invasive then a pop-up balloon that doesn't take z-order priority and prevent you from doing anything until you take care of it's question

Yeah thats a pretty bad overlook, however one of the first thing I configure when I install any windows version, is setting it to download updates automatically but never install them automtically. I install them whenever I'm ready.

#215 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,713 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 19:46

Yeah thats a pretty bad overlook, however one of the first thing I configure when I install any windows version, is setting it to download updates automatically but never install them automtically. I install them whenever I'm ready.

yeah, but as I said before you get that same banner pop up when it realizes there are updates to install, but just says "updates available" and happens over and over again until you install them or tell them no.. every time I log in I get that banner, windows 7 at least its just a system tray icon and not intrusive at all.. windows 8 it pops up in the middle of doing something, right at login, when ever and takes away the entire screen until you answer it

Posted Image
that is just annoying in the middle of work (i know that is someones mockup, but its the only image i can find right now and im not at home to get a screen shot of it at the moment)

I was just reading a few tech sites that call this "making windows updates less annoying"... how? by annoying us more?!

then I get this full screen banner pop up every time I try to run some apps I wrote myself....

Posted Image

once again someone elses screen shot but that is what I get

#216 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,701 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:05

yap, ultimate goal is to only have approved apps running on PC.at least i was able to turn that off on server 2012

#217 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:07

yap, ultimate goal is to only have approved apps running on PC.at least i was able to turn that off on server 2012

Except for the fact that you can click on More Info and just run it anyways...

#218 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,701 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:12

since it was the first thing i disabled on server 2012, after the first notification.

does it always pop up when you run that particular application?

#219 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:23

I disabled Smart Screen filter from the setup... such tools are for people with seriously no idea of what a PC is.

#220 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,097 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:34

For the life of me, I cannot figure out the mental status of the people that seeming can't figure out how to navigate and work fluidly in both the 'desktop' and the new app layout.

They are easy to manage, and aside from the fact people may not like the aesthetics, it is not something that should cause this much of an issue. At this point, I can't tell if it is just whining, or people are so afraid to even look at something different that they just shut down. That, or it's just normal Microsoft hate.

#221 Javik

Javik

• 5,886 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:38

I've been a loyal Microsoft user for 10 years (apart from smartphones, there it's all Android), so nice excuse but no. I really do just dislike it. As I seem to keep needing to point out to the many shills on this forum you have no right to tell other people what does and does not count as a valid usability complaint, because usability is a very personal matter, and a very important one. You love the start screen? good for you. Stop slapping those of us that don't down as if we have some kind of mental deficiency, it's rude and insulting.

#222 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,589 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:42

I've been a loyal Microsoft user for 10 years (apart from smartphones, there it's all Android), so nice excuse but no. I really do just dislike it. As I seem to keep needing to point out to the many shills on this forum you have no right to tell other people what does and does not count as a valid usability complaint, because usability is a very personal matter, and a very important one. You love the start screen? good for you. Stop slapping those of us that don't down as if we have some kind of mental deficiency, it's rude and insulting.

Agreed. I always upgraded to the latest OS the week it is released. I probably will not upgrade to Windows 8. Why is it such a big deal to want an option when you install windows?

#223 Javik

Javik

• 5,886 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:44

I'll probably end up using it (begrudgingly) as I like to stay up to date for gaming, but I'll probably use something like Tihiy's StartIsBack to bypass the start screen.

#224 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 23:09

+2

Trouble is, those who disagree with those who are proclaiming Windows 8 as a wonderful piece of work, are somehow labelled as 'haters', 'trolls' and/or whining babies, just because we don't agree with their point of view.

If you like Windows 8, good, then use it. I don't, so I wont use it, which is also good.

#225 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,518 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 01 November 2012 - 23:16

+2

Trouble is, those who disagree with those who are proclaiming Windows 8 as a wonderful piece of work, are somehow labelled as 'haters', 'trolls' and/or whining babies, just because we don't agree with their point of view.

If you like Windows 8, good, then use it. I don't, so I wont use it, which is also good.

That's what I don't understand, the fanboys of Windows 8 here are hardcore, and defend it like nothing I've seen before. If you even offer your opinion (which come on everyone is entitled to), you're immediately shot down by the fanboys. After using it from launch, I can say the desktop experience is truly miserable (and remember this is my opinion). I spend most of my time on the "desktop" but anytime I go on the start screen or a metro app, I lose focus of the apps that need attention on the desktop (things like IM). I'm sure these apps can use notifications API in the OS...Anyways, I admire MS for trying to unify the UI experience on phone, tablet, PC platforms, but W8 just does not work on a non-touch screen device.