Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster

These invisible menus are driving me crazy. Is there any way to disable them while I work? Is there a shortcut to them them off? This happens every time I close an application.

post-249286-0-74625800-1352233915.jpg

Well, you can use this registry tweak that makes the Charms Bar not appearing until you move the cursor down:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-charms-bar-hint-in-windows-8/

It was annoying for me too.

well why did you even bother to reply? LOL

To let you know that what you said was quite stupid and that he acknowledges your post there isn't much to contribute other than an acknowledgement of how stupid your comment was i guess?

I sad that becuase too many people are all grrrr over it and seem to be political about the whole thing. since they're so political over it putting it on care2 a well known petition site would be a perfect fit for that kinda politically charged, passionate protest of the removal of the start menu. mabye in thier dreams microsoft would have a heart and listen to them if it was on care2 as well and provide an official SP to bring it back. this is the reasoning behind my post. hope that helps.

A few nights ago I saw my competitor in walmart. I asked him about windows 8. He looks at me with this "Just ate pig **** look" ...he said he has had nobody want it. Which is funny, because I had someone bring in a new computer for data transfer on launch day with windows 8 and I've had a BUNCH of people acquire about it. Counting the launch day computer, i've set up about 3 windows 8 machines so far. He said "Every other version of windows sucks, why would that change now".

I'd bet you $100 that he hasn't even used windows 8 yet....at all... as in never once. I take that back... he sorta used it once.I went into his office to shoot the **** one day, and brought my Acer w500 tablet with the WIndows 8 RP on it. Though I think he tried it for 10 seconds then said meh. (I'm thinking computers is just a day job for him)

I'm warming up to windows 8. Still annoyed by a few things, but because the $40 upgrade is a really good price, I've upgraded 3 of my computers in my house to window 8. I want to live and breath it, so when the support calls roll in I know my ass from a hole in the ground.

I'm warming up to windows 8. Still annoyed by a few things, but because the $40 upgrade is a really good price, I've upgraded 3 of my computers in my house to window 8. I want to live and breath it, so when the support calls roll in I know my ass from a hole in the ground.

Best reason in the world for anyone who has to support Windows. Whether we like it or not (and I do) millions of computers will have this version in the next year.

Best reason in the world for anyone who has to support Windows. Whether we like it or not (and I do) millions of computers will have this version in the next year.

It's a god damn awful thought, sad really, but true.

Back to Windows 7 Pro. I am sick of this Windows 8 garbage. I tried but I seriously can't stand this new UI.

Yeah, it finally gets to you after a while, no matter how hard you try, it really becomes so unbearable, that you just don't want to switch the PC on any longer.

• Like 2

Yeah, it finally gets to you after a while, no matter how hard you try, it really becomes so unbearable, that you just don't want to switch the PC on any longer.

You are 100% right on the dot sir. I find Windows 7 Pro just as fast as Windows 8. Of course, I have an SSD Drive so maybe that makes a difference, but I just don't see any difference in performance between the two and again, that Windows 8 UI is horrible.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Once I installed Start 8 to get rid of those stupid stupid STUPID charms bar and hot corners, things are working much better.

Go ahead and tell me I am horrible at using computers because I keep activating these hot corners. I am really sick of that response. The way I have my workflow set up, I keep activating those hot corners constantly. I activate sometimes it when I close applications too. "OMG HOW can you possibly DO that??" you say? Well I do not know, maybe because the hot corner is RIGHT NEXT TO THE X.

I am not the only one, my clients kept activating them too when they wanted to show me something to touch up on Photoshop. Can you imagine how unprofessional that is?

Once I installed Start 8 to get rid of those stupid stupid STUPID charms bar and hot corners, things are working much better.

Go ahead and tell me I am horrible at using computers because I keep activating these hot corners. I am really sick of that response. The way I have my workflow set up, I keep activating those hot corners constantly. I activate sometimes it when I close applications too. "OMG HOW can you possibly DO that??" you say? Well I do not know, maybe because the hot corner is RIGHT NEXT TO THE X.

I am not the only one, my clients kept activating them too when they wanted to show me something to touch up on Photoshop. Can you imagine how unprofessional that is?

Um champ it will only show them if you go the top right most pixel then move down not if you are just closing the program, you have to move it a good 10% of the way before it overlays...

• Like 1

Um champ it will only show them if you go the top right most pixel then move down not if you are just closing the program, you have to move it a good 10% of the way before it overlays...

The hint activates immediately. That alone is enough to be embarrassed in front of clients that pay you money to be professional.

Guess what, I do not use my computer the same way you do. I have my photoshop workflow set up in such a way that I always activate these menus or at least the hints.

Is this really the attitude here now? Windows 8 is SOOOOOO perfect, NOTHING can be wrong with it? Yes, the way I have my workflow set up is I go to the top right to a tool in Photoshop and activate the hint (Photoshop has had a nifty feature that you can detach dialogs and move them where you want them). I move my mouse down to go to another tool and there is the charms bar. I have done this for years. I have to train myself to move my mouse to the left to disable the HINT, then move it to the bottom right corner of my screen so it will not activate. Or I can just use Start 8 and use it the same way I have before.

Seriously, what will you guys say if you were in a helpdesk or computer support position? If somebody walked up to you and says they keep activating these menus bars and hints, you would get yelled at from your boss by saying "You are not doing things right".

Do I really need to defend myself here? I am not complaining about the Start Screen, or the fact that there is no Start Menu anymore. I am saying what irritates me when I get down and do my work. Do I really need to record my screen or defend myself for this? Everybody I talk to that is not "OMG IM LIKE SO IN LOVE!!!!" with Windows 8 says the same thing I do, they keep activating the hot corners as well. I am just support to accept it?

Every time I bring this up, people tell me I am horrible at using computers because I activate these hot corners. You do not know my work flow. The fact is that many of my clients want to sit down and show me something to touch up and THEY activate it as well.

The hint activates immediately. That alone is enough to be embarrassed in front of clients that pay you money to be professional.

Guess what, I do not use my computer the same way you do. I have my photoshop workflow set up in such a way that I always activate these menus or at least the hints.

Is this really the attitude here now? Windows 8 is SOOOOOO perfect, NOTHING can be wrong with it? Yes, the way I have my workflow set up is I go to the top right to a tool in Photoshop and activate the hint (Photoshop has had a nifty feature that you can detach dialogs and move them where you want them). I move my mouse down to go to another tool and there is the charms bar. I have done this for years. I have to train myself to move my mouse to the left to disable the HINT, then move it to the bottom right corner of my screen so it will not activate. Or I can just use Start 8 and use it the same way I have before.

Seriously, what will you guys say if you were in a helpdesk or computer support position? If somebody walked up to you and says they keep activating these menus bars and hints, you would get yelled at from your boss by saying "You are not doing things right".

Do I really need to defend myself here? I am not complaining about the Start Screen, or the fact that there is no Start Menu anymore. I am saying what irritates me when I get down and do my work. Do I really need to record my screen or defend myself for this? Everybody I talk to that is not "OMG IM LIKE SO IN LOVE!!!!" with Windows 8 says the same thing I do, they keep activating the hot corners as well. I am just support to accept it?

Every time I bring this up, people tell me I am horrible at using computers because I activate these hot corners. You do not know my work flow. The fact is that many of my clients want to sit down and show me something to touch up and THEY activate it as well.

That is a very cool story and I'm sorry to hear that the top right hot corner has hindered your "work flow" affecting a grand total of 0.00000000000000% of the worlds population! If start8 helps you then good on you! Now stop your complaining, the charms have a good purpose and they are not going anywhere because a couple of users are affected!

Ill never understand how someone could think a start menu displaying all your program's on 1/14th of the screen with 16 pixal high icons + text is superior to the start screen.

Then you have to setup and devote your entire desktop to startup icons and have no folders or grouping, Even worse.

The start screen takes care of all that and can comfortable handle hundreds of programs with groups compared to the start menu which jumbles everything up into a tiny menu.

Good riddance.

That is a very cool story and I'm sorry to hear that the top right hot corner has hindered your "work flow" affecting a grand total of 0.00000000000000% of the worlds population! If start8 helps you then good on you! Now stop your complaining, the charms have a good purpose and they are not going anywhere because a couple of users are affected!

Nice attitude. If you are in a helpdesk/support type of position, would you say that to a client? I am not the only one that is experiencing this. We are consumers, we should not just bend over backwards to let MS do whatever they want.

Explain to me what is so unbelievably horrible about having a simple check box in Control Panel that disables these for those of us that it bothers?

I believe Win8 is one of those things that people either love or hate. I still can't make up my mind about it. Indeed Win8 is faster at loading but, the UI experience IMO leaves a lot to be desired. Already, I've encountered multiple things where require more actions to accomplish in Win8 then in Win7. I don't understand why they designed it to where certain things are only accomplished in the modern UI and certain things in the desktop. I'm sure a lot of people can get used to this change but, I personally believe that MS could've done way better job for this kind of transition. I also agree with another poster here that some of the modern UI apps are half-baked and lack some basic functionality. The start menu shouldn't have been taken away. I did download Start8 from Stardock and it makes things A LOT easier. One of my main concerns with Win8 is what about more elderly folks who use computers that took them forever to learn the desktop interface since 95 and now they get thrown this mixed bag. I personally feel that modern UI should've been left out of desktop versions of Windows and left Modern UI for tablets and phones. If they really want to migrate users to the new interface then they should've done a lot better job at its implementation in Win8. In short, UI implementation sucks but, under the hood is really good.

I do like Windows 8. I agree that at the very least, there should be a toggle to disable the charm hints. I know the hints are there to teach users they exist, but now I do know, and I would like the hints gone.

There was a post somewhere on these forums that gave a registry modification to disable them. I've since lost the post, but that might be something to look into.

We are consumers, we should not just bend over backwards to let MS do whatever they want.

MS can do whatever they want to. Windows is their product. If it doesn't fit your needs than don't buy it.

Absolutely LOVE 8. Yea, the start menu takes some time to get used to, and it takes me maybe 3 seconds longer to shut my machine down, but it's so much faster than 7 was, I'm satisfied. Also, have not had any issues with gaming...dunno what Valve was b*tching about.

Absolutely LOVE 8. Yea, the start menu takes some time to get used to, and it takes me maybe 3 seconds longer to shut my machine down, but it's so much faster than 7 was, I'm satisfied. Also, have not had any issues with gaming...dunno what Valve was b*tching about.

Valve was bitching more about the Windows Store than anything. It's ok for everyone else to have one, except Microsoft for some reason...

MS can do whatever they want to. Windows is their product. If it doesn't fit your needs than don't buy it.

and that's how you make a succeeding company fail

seriously, I like Windows 8 but even I have to say there's no logic in that statement Dot

seriously, I like Windows 8 but even I have to say there's no logic in that statement Dot

Agreed. How do products fail?

Adobe can do whatever they want to do, but if Photoshop CS7 ONLY contains the crop tool and is $1,000, we do not have the right to complain?!

I like Windows 8 too, but come on do not jump down my throat because I have an issue with ONE THING which is those hot corners and bars.

MS develops Windows. It's their prerogative on what they want to include and remove from version to version.

MS develops Windows. It's their prerogative on what they want to include and remove from version to version.

And no matter what they do, we have NO RIGHT to say when things are messed up in hope that their product will improve?