Posted 02 November 2012 - 00:18

what kind of tree?

Take your pick. :D

#244 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,976 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 00:51

So, in other words, you want to run all over your OS? Smartscreen is there for a reason. Any self respected developer should be signing their apps. These pop ups are no more annoying than any other pop up you get from the OS.

good greif did you miss the point? I am saying why are we getting full screen prompts and banners that take over what you are doing this has nothing to do with smartscreen but the fact its one of the ones that is showing it

#245 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,160 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:16

good greif did you miss the point? I am saying why are we getting full screen prompts and banners that take over what you are doing this has nothing to do with smartscreen but the fact its one of the ones that is showing it

How do they take over what you are doing? They take over no more than the old 9x prompts did. I also don't know how you are seeing all these prompts. I ran Windows 8 from the DP on up to RTM, and I think I've only ever seen THREE total prompts. That includes WU. And I ran on default settings.

#246 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:31

Funny..I have never seen those big banners. Windows 8 instead tells me I have updates on the main screen when I log in or if I go to the Metro Menu I will see it on the top right corner.

#247 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:38

My only gripe with the desktop experience is shutting down - it would have been perfect if there was a shutdown button directly on the charms bar. But hey, pressing Alt-F4 isn't half bad either! [. . .]

I don't see how they could have added that to the Charms bar without ruining the design and UI. I do think that them placing it in the Settings area may have not been appropriate, though, even though I don't mind the extra click (as no one should). Perhaps placing it in the user drop-down on the Start screen would have been the best idea, as there are other similar options there (e.g. locking the PC).

#248 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,976 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:49

How do they take over what you are doing? They take over no more than the old 9x prompts did. I also don't know how you are seeing all these prompts. I ran Windows 8 from the DP on up to RTM, and I think I've only ever seen THREE total prompts. That includes WU. And I ran on default settings.

I've never had a 9x prompt take the entire screen away by dimming the screen to show a huge ass banner across it

I don't see how they could have added that to the Charms bar without ruining the design and UI. I do think that them placing it in the Settings area may have not been appropriate, though, even though I don't mind the extra click (as no one should). Perhaps placing it in the user drop-down on the Start screen would have been the best idea, as there are other similar options there (e.g. locking the PC).

If they had shutdown and logout as options on the start screen it would of been so much nicer then having to log out then shut down if you are going the start screen route (not talking about the charm bar route)

#249 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,160 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:52

I've never had a 9x prompt take the entire screen away by dimming the screen to show a huge ass banner across it

If they had shutdown and logout as options on the start screen it would of been so much nicer then having to log out then shut down if you are going the start screen route (not talking about the charm bar route)

UAC?

#250 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,541 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:57

UAC?

User Account Control can be found in Windows 9x?

#251 marty999

marty999

Neowinian

• 18 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:04

I'm not sure what you mean, so could you possibly expand more, please? :) The Start screen caters for all of the functions that the Start Menu did, accessible with the same amount of clicks as they were in the Start Menu, along with more functions. So you can do everything on the Start screen with just a click that you could do on the Start Menu with just a click. I might be missing something, so please point out if I am, but I don't think I am, as nothing of the sort has stood out to me since I started using Windows 8 daily in February.

I don't have to remember any commands for doing things that the Start Menu used to do. There are some commands I know for doing things like bringing up the Charms bar, but I don't actually use keyboard shortcuts for things like that (I use my mouse). Even if I did use keyboard shortcuts for those features, remembering them wouldn't be a problem. We're intelligent enough for that to not be a problem.

I didn't have to "relearn" anything. I had no problem using Windows 8 or the Start screen from the first minute I installed it, and using the Start screen hasn't ever been slower than the Start Menu, for me.

I disagree that the start screen caters for everything the Start menu did, for a start the Start menu didn't take you away from the desktop. And can you tell me how having to go to a screen full of Tiles (live or not) which I don't need, don't use and don't want is helpful, intuitive or even makes any kind of sense . I do like the increase in speed and the fact that programs appear to run better, but they could have achieved that without screwing up the interface. I always pick up new versions of the OS or Office as soon as they are available and have been using Windows 8 on my Samsung Slate (which goes straight to the desktop) as soon as it went public and it works relatively OK on a Slate (but I still have no use for the Tiles). I am an ICT Operations Manager running 2700 Desktops and laptops and can see no valid reason for driving several thousand people crazy with this operating system. Also the new Office 2013 is just eye blistering boring, it looks like it belongs in a kindergarten, where I work Windows 8 and Office 2013 are generally referred to as the Fisher Price version. It's not a case of liking it or not liking it, its just a fact that there's not a good enough reason for the average user to want to migrate to it.

#252 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,482 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:38

Who is the article writer when he isn't at home and why should I remotely care about his opinions any more than some random Wordpress blog on the matter?

Regarding Windows 8 - really, the more I hear the whining and the more I get to know Windows 8 it is clear to me that we have a small noisy group of people unwilling and/or unable to simply adapt to the changes that are taking place at Microsoft. I log in, I've setup my pinned items on the start page and click on desktop so back to work as usual. As for the full screen alerts, they're there for a reason - because the average user is a moron and they're forced to actually read the alert rather than clicking on without taking any consideration as to the impact of their decision.

Anyway back to the original point - why should the article writers opinion hold any more weight than my own other than him having a more high profile platform to sell it on.

#253 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 02 November 2012 - 17:57

This is how they should have done it.

#254 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,634 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 November 2012 - 18:12

Yeah, that's what I've been saying for a while now. That would have been a sensible place to put it, with the other contender being the right-click start corner menu. Shutting down your computer isn't a "Setting" and the Charm bar is awkward at best, especially when you have multiple monitors and the cursor can easily disappear off onto the next display. The extra click isn't the issue - it's the awkwardness of triggering the Charm bar, the tardiness of the process and the illogical categorisation of shutting down as a "Setting".

#255 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,380 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 02 November 2012 - 18:17

Perhaps a compromise solution is to just add it to the Win+X menu to appease desktop users in a future patch, but leave it in the Charms menu for tablet users. For what it's worth, Windows 8/RT at least presents a visible option for turning off or rebooting the machine, whereas on the other competing tablet OSes, it requires holding down the power button to expose the shutdown option (and for iOS, no obvious way to do a clean reboot).

That being said, I recall there being a way to easily modify the Win+X menu. Someone posted a howto on Neowin but I can't find it :/
edit: it's over here: http://www.howtogeek...ws-8-winx-menu/