428 replies to this topic

#16 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,569 posts
  • Phone: HTC Mozart

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:53

POPULAR

It does seem that there are a large percentage of people who like Windows 8, who are utterly unable to empathise with anyone else who has a different opinion to them on Windows 8, or accept that there are people who dislike it.

I totally get why people like Windows 8. It's a genuine attempt at a paradigm shift from Microsoft, it's fast, it's a great way to fuse the desktop and mobile devices into one cohesive platform. I totally get it. I get what Microsoft are trying to do. But I just can't warm to Windows 8 at all.

However I read the opening page of the article and I understood entirely where he's coming from. The things that bug him about Windows 8 are exactly the same things that bug me. I loved Windows 7... my absolute favourite version of Windows that Microsoft ever produced.

This is an opinion. A preference. It's neither right nor wrong. That's all there is to it... I'm not a n00b, I'm not an iSheep, I'm not an Android fanboy.. I use anything and everything... I have no bias to any platform.... I love change, I love new technology. I'm open to it all. But Windows 8 just doesn't work for me at all.

#17 Totalaero

Totalaero

Neowinian

• 190 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:58

I would normally agree. But I installed Windows 8 yesterday and now I see why Neowin users always own people who say Windows 8 is bad. Windows 8 is a great OS it's just self proclaimed "Tech" people who don't know how to move their mouse on the top right corner of the freaking screen always complaining about it.

#18 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,397 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:58

Dot Matrix does not understand that mice are best for small precise movements and lots of clicking. Swiping the mouse all over the screen is slow and stupid.

Why the **** are you "swiping" the mouse? My cursor movements are unchanged from Windows 7. And why are you only doing "small" movements?

And to the OP: Yep, this is clearly a disaster. WTF was I thinking? Obviously there's no work getting done here. Not with this mess. Nope.

Screenshot (24).png

^ (BTW, You're not going to get this level of functionality with Windows 7, no matter how hard you try.)

#19 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:02

Why the **** are you "swiping" the mouse?

You have to go to the end of the screen to bring up the charms bar, or you must know the command to show it, same if you want to use the Start Screen, if you want to be "faster" then you need to use the keyboard, which implies to use the other hand or remove the hand from the mouse, then pressing the windows key button that, at the end, it's slower that just pressing the very nice Start Menu Orb..., not to mention, the delays that are needed for the charms bar to appear.

#20 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:03

Scorbing starting yet another "I don't like Windows 8 and you shouldn't either" thread. Shocking.

:rolleyes:
I wonder how long before this nonsense gets locked too.

#21 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

• 1,473 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:06

You have to go to the end of the screen to bring up the charms bar, or you must know the command to show it, same if you want to use the Start Screen, if you want to be "faster" then you need to use the keyboard, which implies to use the other hand or remove the hand from the mouse, then pressing the windows key button that, at the end, it's slower that just pressing the very nice Start Menu Orb..., not to mention, the delays that are needed for the charms bar to appear.

But the Start Orb is still there on the lower left corner. It's just that there is no orb.

#22 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,397 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:06

Huh? Why are you going to Charms to open Start? Press the key on the keyboard or move your cursor to the bottom of the screen and click - just like you would in Windows 7.

And again, mice were designed to move around the screen. If you're that afraid of moving it, maybe a touch screen would work better for you? You could also increase your tracking to make the cursor move faster from edge to edge.

#23 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:09

I agree 100% with this article. Now Start8 fixes most of the problem - although I'd still like to get Aero Glass back.

Dot Matrix does not understand that mice are best for small precise movements and lots of clicking. Swiping the mouse all over the screen is slow and stupid.

(Y)

#24 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 7,855 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:12

No disaster here, and I've been using Windows 8 on nothing but for the past year. People need to get over this whole "touch only" BS. Take your damn mouse and move the frakkin thing. That's what it was designed to do. It's not that hard. You also have a scroll wheel that does wonders with the OS.

Yeah, I tried installing it on my McBook Pro that doesn't seem to have any kind of driver support in Windows 8. I was able to get around using just the keyboard because it didn't recognize the Apple touchpad. I'm probably going to replace the McBook with something else soon though.

#25 ThePitt

ThePitt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,808 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:17

Now Start8 fixes most of the problem - although I'd still like to get Aero Glass back.

Windows 7 fixes all of that ;)

#26 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:19

Scorbing starting yet another "I don't like Windows 8 and you shouldn't either" thread. Shocking.

:rolleyes:
I wonder how long before this nonsense gets locked too.

I haven't started anything. I simply posted a link to an article I saw at PC Magazine. You obviously don't know how to read.

#27 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• 1,255 posts
  • Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:20

Oh gawd. Not again.

#28 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,397 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:22

Mouse cursor movement problems solved.

Blah.png

#29 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,286 posts
  • OS: Windows Embedded Standard 8 & Server 2012/08 Datacenter

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:24

It does seem that there are a large percentage of people who like Windows 8, who are utterly unable to empathise with anyone else who has a different opinion to them on Windows 8, or accept that there are people who dislike it.

I totally get why people like Windows 8. It's a genuine attempt at a paradigm shift from Microsoft, it's fast, it's a great way to fuse the desktop and mobile devices into one cohesive platform. I totally get it. I get what Microsoft are trying to do. But I just can't warm to Windows 8 at all.

However I read the opening page of the article and I understood entirely where he's coming from. The things that bug him about Windows 8 are exactly the same things that bug me. I loved Windows 7... my absolute favourite version of Windows that Microsoft ever produced.

This is an opinion. A preference. It's neither right nor wrong. That's all there is to it... I'm not a n00b, I'm not an iSheep, I'm not an Android fanboy.. I use anything and everything... I have no bias to any platform.... I love change, I love new technology. I'm open to it all. But Windows 8 just doesn't work for me at all.

Sure but how many of the people with this opinion just installed the consumer preview in virtual box and thought to themselves "oh this is different" and deleted it ? 80 % 90% ?

These are the same people who were crying for years about how xp is the greatest os ever, It gets old after a while.

#30 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:28

Mouse cursor movement problems solved.

Blah.png

I have a R.A.T. 5 Mouse (5200 dpi) speed doesn't solve that fact precisely...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!