windows 8

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#121 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,246 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:00

I just sat here and read this whole thread to this point, and have come to the point where I think that all you need to get out away from your computers and shovel snow (I need my driveway cleared, it is only about a half mile long).

Ooh can I can I? I miss the fluffy white stuff.

I love Win8, but y'all already knew that. I only have a desktop and use keyboard and mouse, so there's that too. I have no idea what people are complaining about, but whatever works for them.

#122 Mayhem

Mayhem

Neowinian

• 222 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:54

Large part of the people that hate Win8 simply refuge to change or adapt, some even think that OS is to be made for them

Things change, learn to adapt, for ex I dont really like also the new Start Menu, its better? yes it is, way more powerful search than Start8 or StartisBack menus

i simply use the new Win8 Start menu for 2 things, Metro stuff (weather, games,...) and pinning my 2nd usual programs that i run

basically i make Windows 8 Start Menu like it is my Second Desktop, nothing more, nothing less, all the Rest is totally Windows 7 feel

see? what's the problem then? Adapt, change the OS for you liking, using it now like that i dont even want to go back to Win7, have alot more productivity this way

1. Programs that i always run -> Pin to Taskbar
2. Programs that i run on average (ex: Games) -> Desktop
3. Programs that i run sometimes (Nero, DVD creator, ....) -> Pinned Windows 8 Start Menu (like i said, basically my 2nd desktop)

and done, almost never search for anything

#123 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• 1,953 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:11

I agree, start screen and some settings are not as fast to use as it was on Windows 7. After being used it for couple of months, I started to like some enchancements on explorer and under the hood + some new features so I bought it anyway regardless of it's flaws on desktop. Companies will not touch this, but I think that it will sell pretty good considering it's so cheap.

#124 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,701 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:31

He is stating his opinion and I don't think he is wrong at all. The first time I tried windows 8, used a bit for a day and then got tired of it, uninstalled it and went back to 7. It was only later when Start8 came that reinstalling windows 8 could become a possibility (of course there are other alternatives and free, I'm just stating this one because it works wonders), tried it a gain with a start menu third party app... Windows 8 became what it should be no hassle, but I will say it again, whoever thought the start screen is a replacement for the start menu is wrong... is just plain wrong, at best is an alternative and very inefficient at it.

Options should be always available when they want to execute such dramatic changes... and I'm sparing the fact that they removed the transparencies and put an horrid plain color on all the windows, not to mention, the white that often get's me blind.

very true

"the constant schizophrenic flipping between Start and Desktop environments"

windows 8 is desktop disaster, it was made for tablet and touchscreen nothing else.

#125 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:35

Windows 8 didn't change the desktop at all. All it did is change your start buttom from a button to a page. You can pin your most used apps to the start bar or create desktop icons if you so wish, but that is all that changed aside from the many improvements to the UI, Task Manager and underlying performance increases.

Windows 8 on the desktop is fantastic

BTW, most people probably only used 4-5 programs on their start bar anyway so MS collected the data over over 17 years of start bar history and probably realized a unified start page was wiser so users wouldn't have apps seen in one area and not the other.. i tend to agree

#126 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,701 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:36

Having used Windows 8 for a day now, I doubt disaster is the right word. It will sell millions because it is now the default on all new computers. It is different but not all bad. Everyone that I know that sees it likes the looks of it.

vista also sold millions, so it windows ME. and both were considered to be disasters. with vista people were requesting downgrades to xp.

windows 7 is the new xp, same faith will happen with 8. windows 8 will join vista and ME

#127 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:36

very true

"the constant schizophrenic flipping between Start and Desktop environments"

windows 8 is desktop disaster, it was made for tablet and touchscreen nothing else.

If you took 2 seconds to organise it, you wouldn't need to swap between them at all.

Then again, some people just don't have the capacity to learn.

#128 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:42

If you took 2 seconds to organise it, you wouldn't need to swap between them at all.

Then again, some people just don't have the capacity to learn.

I'm 100% certain they don't really even try.. The transition back and forth to start and desktop is smooth, its not jarring at all. The desktop for all intents and purposes is just another ModerUI Application - with the same modern ui experienced but able to run the legacy win32 base. You can snap it, you can open charms, you can use the deep search.. you can pin your most used apps to the app bar, you can save icons to desktop, you could create your own program folder icon if you so wish. Or you can just hit windows key and start typing, hit enter and launch your app without even thinking.

Yes, your cheese has moved, but the new cheese is so much yummier once you figure out where it is.

#129 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• 1,953 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:52

The problem with start page on desktop is that it is so big, tiles are huge compared to start menu and spanned across the screen. It takes more time to move the mouse to the desired application. Other than that it works great.

#130 xankazo

xankazo

Neowinian

• 1,216 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:55

For me, Windows 8 is just as easy to use on a desktop PC as Windows 7, or even easier. I've been a heavy WinKey user, so the transition was smoother for me. Yeah, the WinKey and other keyboard shortcuts rule in Windows 8.

#131 Zlain

Zlain

Neowinian

• 854 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:56

My only gripe with the desktop experience is shutting down - it would have been perfect if there was a shutdown button directly on the charms bar. But hey, pressing Alt-F4 isn't half bad either! Everything works fine in the desktop. Admittedly you do have to adapt a little, but its hardly a massive change as some authors will have you believe - it is totally true that many of us don't really use the start button that much, we only use a few programmes at best.

#132 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:58

You can make a shut down shortcut without too much trouble.

#133 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:01

The problem with start page on desktop is that it is so big, tiles are huge compared to start menu and spanned across the screen. It takes more time to move the mouse to the desired application. Other than that it works great.

Pin your appications to start bar then if you use them with any frequency. less frequent apps you can just start typing and hit enter when it shows up to run. pretty nifty.

#134 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:09

You can make a shut down shortcut without too much trouble.

with acpi shutdown on every darn device made in the last 2 decades, why people need to click shutdown, i dunno.. plus windows 8 shines in sleep mode so it can wakeup, check your email, update live tiles and sync your notifications and such - it also sips juice on sleep - < 10 watts for even my desktop.

in other words, tap your power button and it should shutdown, hold to hard reboot.. pretty standard

#135 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• 6,175 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:23

I made the jump back to Win8 after being on a Mac for the last 3 years. After using it for 3 days now here is my honest opinion:

1. I didn't think I was going to like the new start menu / live tiles but after about 30 minutes I couldn't believe how much I feel that this should have been done years ago. Finally a way to see what I really want and get rid of the crap of the start menu that I don't need. Plus with live tiles I get updated feeds....that is a nice feature.

2. It took me all of 1 hour to figure out how to really navigate around. Once I learned it....moving between the desktop, start menu, charm bar, etc... was so easy.

3. Running on a laptop from 2009...this OS runs great. So far it has had no drawbacks....except that it had a problem with finding correct drivers for my trackpad. After that was fixed...it's been smooth going.

Don't get me wrong...I still have my mac mini which I love but I am going to use Win8 now full time.