Windows 8 License and fresh install

win8

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 verved

verved

Neowinian

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:08

Afiak Windows 8 based laptops do not have a COA , opened 2 brand new units to demo 1 lenovo , 1 Packard Bell and nether had a COA which did throw us.

#17 OP dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:51

Afiak Windows 8 based laptops do not have a COA , opened 2 brand new units to demo 1 lenovo , 1 Packard Bell and nether had a COA which did throw us.

good to know im not totally crazy :)

here is a picture(s) of the WIndows 8 system
http://s20.beta.phot...012369.jpg.html
http://s20.beta.phot...012368.jpg.html
http://s20.beta.phot...012370.jpg.html

#18 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:20

That is definitely one of the oddest things I've seen. The license terms at Microsoft.com still make reference to OEM's needing to attach a CoA in order to be in compliance with the OEM rules.

I wonder if this has changed due to the way they can store the key on the system...but until that's confirmed it's still a bit odd to me.

#19 OP dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:22

That is definitely one of the oddest things I've seen. The license terms at Microsoft.com still make reference to OEM's needing to attach a CoA in order to be in compliance with the OEM rules.

I wonder if this has changed due to the way they can store the key on the system...but until that's confirmed it's still a bit odd to me.

What i might do is install another hard drive in the laptop, do a fresh install of win 8 and see what happens with activation

#20 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 October 2012 - 21:52

What i might do is install another hard drive in the laptop, do a fresh install of win 8 and see what happens with activation

Good idea (Y)

#21 Simmo3D

Simmo3D

Neowin V.I.P

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:16

My brand new Windows 8 (Core) HP Envy 23-D010A All-in-one PC doesn't have a product code anywhere on it. Annoying thing is, when I try to do a clean install using my Windows 8 Pro USB stick (I get pro with my TechNet sub) and wipe all the partitions, it installs Windows 8 Core and not Pro.
I noticed during the first few screens of setup, it displays a WIndows 8 EULA and not the Windows 8 Pro EULA. Then continuing through Setup, it does not ask for a Product Key.
When I use this USB stick on my Tablet, it asks for a Product key and then installs Windows 8 Pro..

SO.... Im guessing the EULAID for Windows 8 and/or the product code is now locked into the UEFI firmware or something.

The only way I can install Pro, is by installing Core, then upgrading to Pro then upgrading to Media Center. It seems pretty stupid to me. #firstworldproblems

#22 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:20

Due to the component nature of Windows 8 it still is a clean install that way. :)

#23 +JTA

JTA

Neowinian

• Phone: GNex

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:37

Just a shot in the dark, but I seem to remember reading rumors that they might make it available in the UEFI/BIOS? Might dig around and see what you can find.

#24 Neowon

Neowon

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:26

Doesn't the key appear on your COA sticker? If not, I would defintiely get in touch with your manufacturer.

#25 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:27

Doesn't the key appear on your COA sticker? If not, I would defintiely get in touch with your manufacturer.

That's the thing. All these folks say there is no CoA on Win8 devices...

#26 Ottawa Gamerz

Ottawa Gamerz

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:42

if your using windows 8 stored on a d:\partition run it usley it will do everything for u but if u have the CD in your hand the key is on it or the case.

one BIG? has windows 8 made us dumber because every windows os in the pass went like this PUT THE DVD in the drive reboot press a key but with windows 8 people are dumb founded how to do a clean install WAKE UP people same as 95 to 98 98 to xp xp to vista vista to 7 7 to 8

1.insert dvd or run restore f11 or alt f10
2.press the any key or follow instructions in restore
3.hit next than hist custom format c:\ than after format click c: with a restore u have to tell it to format c:\
4.wait till it asks for a key when u see that input key if 7 u can click skip in the restore just wait everything is done 4 u
5.give ur self a username and your network a name click next time date wifi and your done with 7 u are 8 u have to use your Hotmail this is the same with restore
6 if everything went right ur activated and u see metro press windows key + d and have fun same as restore
7 if this process scares u go to a PC tech pay 100 dollars and learn one big lesson never do anything by yourself because u like handing your PC to a kid who things he knows things but he's just a kid who payed 10000 to press some keys lol.

8 just take time and learn it if u screw up fix one day u will get it right

#27 skilithead

skilithead

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:45

You can still use a local account in 8 .

#28 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:51

How do you activate a reinstall on OEM machine? Wasting a personal key is not an option.

#29 Ottawa Gamerz

Ottawa Gamerz

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:54

You can still use a local account in 8 .

so

How do you activate a reinstall on OEM machine? Wasting a personal key is not an option.

is it on your pc what make

#30 skilithead

skilithead

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:58

"u are 8 u have to use your Hotmail this is the same with restore" , you don't "have" to use Hotmail .

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!