Valve: Linux More Viable Than Windows 8 for Gaming

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#31 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:45

Less arbitrary restrictions and fairer distribution costs.

Really? From what I can find online (and info is rather scarce on this). Valve appear to take a 30-40% cut of all sales. Is that fairer than MS's cut?

#32 Jazirian

Jazirian

Neowinian

• 75 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:46

I'm not aware that Valve's distribution costs are standardised or even published. Quick research suggests that Valve takes a share of 30%+, which means that they're equal to, or more expensive than the Windows store. Hardly less arbitrary or fair.

#33 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Got any proof to back this up with?

#34 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,022 posts

Valve don't HAVE a point. They're just spreading FUD so they can attempt to protect their own revenue stream.

Yeah, Valve don't have a point. Because they never said that 8 was closed in the first place.

Every person in this thread so far crying their eyes out over the "closed" comment has been trolled by the OP, because it doesn't exist in the original article linked.

#35 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,499 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:47

So instead of a chunk of money going to MS, It'll go to Valve instead? How is that any less "unfair".

How is that ANY different to what Valve do with Steam? They don't put games on their store they don't want, and they take a cut of every sale, just like MS are doing with the Windows 8 store. Gabe is just throwing his toys out of the pram because MS, unlike EA with their Origin store, have the muscle to affect his bottom line.

If you submit your game in Steam Greenlight, It costs you a flat 100 dollars. Like Javik said: Less arbitrary restrictions and fairer distribution costs. If I remember right Microsoft takes 30%

#36 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,992 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:48

Who decides what's "fairer"?

Developers

Really? From what I can find online (and info is rather scarce on this). Valve appear to take a 30-40% cut of all sales. Is that fairer than MS's cut?

Evidence I've seen suggests otherwise, most indie game developers in particular have been full of praise for both the helpfulness of Valve's staff and the fairness of the deals Valve gave them.

Got any proof to back this up with?

Proof of the arbitrary restrictions is pretty evident to be honest. Proof of the fair deals is in the words of indie developers.

#37 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:48

Of course they have a point, if the direction taken with 8 is a part of a move to close Windows as a platform, it's bad news for companies like Valve, and anyone who produces anything that isn't a casual game or a fart app.

IF. There's a lot of supposition there from such a small word.

Tell me. Can you think of any sane justification as to why Microsoft would actually WANT to cut off the literally millions of desktop application developers out there, and actually FORCE people to move to another OS? Why would any company in their right mind do something so monumentally stupid?

The W8 app store is there for one thing, for MS to get their hands into the tablet market. They improve their chances of this by having those tablet "cool" tablet apps also running on the desktop for a single, unified experience. There is no way they'll drop the desktop side of things, or seal Windows off from the millions of desktop developers out there. There's just too much you CANNOT do in metro.

#38 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,499 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:51

Also with Windows 8, you can only install the app on 5 computers. With Steam, you can install it on as many computers as you want, with 1 active login.

#39 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,992 posts

For the same reason that Apple do it. Controlling your ecosystem like a megalomaniac forces developers and consumers to dance to your tune and increases profits.

#40 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Evidence I've seen suggests otherwise, most indie game developers in particular have been full of praise for both the helpfulness of Valve's staff and the fairness of the deals Valve gave them.

Proof of the arbitrary restrictions is pretty evident to be honest. Proof of the fair deals is in the words of indie developers.

Oh please, show us this evidence proving that it's a fairer deal than MS's, or even Apple's or Google's. I suspect the comparison the Indie devs are making is against traditional games publishing, which is a horrendously expensive business.

#41 Jazirian

Jazirian

Neowinian

• 75 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:52

The W8 app store is there for one thing, for MS to get their hands into the tablet market. They improve their chances of this by having those tablet "cool" tablet apps also running on the desktop for a single, unified experience. There is no way they'll drop the desktop side of things, or seal Windows off from the millions of desktop developers out there. There's just too much you CANNOT do in metro.

Add to this, Microsoft get fined several hundred million dollars by the EU for bundling Internet Explorer. If they were to close off the desktop in x86/x64 they would be sued to hell and back.

#42 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,139 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:53

If you submit your game in Steam Greenlight, It costs you a flat 100 dollars. Like Javik said: Less arbitrary restrictions and fairer distribution costs. If I remember right Microsoft takes 30%

You seem to be confused. Just submitting to Greenlight does not guarantee your game will be sold on Steam. Developers could pay the $100 and never have their game go on sale. If Valve decides to sell a game, then they take 30%+ of every sale, just like Microsoft.

#43 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:54

Developers

I haven't seen any developers say their apps have been refused from the windows 8 market place.. got any proof?

That's great, but what does that even mean? are you saying Microsoft is mean to its developers? i'd beg otherwise..

No it isn't.. that's an absurd statement to make.

#44 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:55

You seem to be confused. Just submitting to Greenlight does not guarantee your game will be sold on Steam. Developers could pay the $100 and never have their game go on sale. If Valve decides to sell a game, then they take 30%+ of every sale, just like Microsoft.

And to clarify further. MS charge $99 a year to submit apps to their store (individuals can get it for $49 I think). You can submit multiple apps for that fee, priced or free, and it WILL go on to the store, not "may" go on to it. Also, your app can (depending on the developer), run on three different platforms, greatly increasing the target audience.

#45 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:58

Add to this, Microsoft get fined several hundred million dollars by the EU for bundling Internet Explorer. If they were to close off the desktop in x86/x64 they would be sued to hell and back.

EU already said they're not interested in IE on Windows RT.. The old browser ballet is a bandaid on a problem that doesn't exist today and just wastes money for everyone involved. Times have changed and man, some people need to get over this.