Photo

Older games on Windows 8 (Call of Duty 2)

win8

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Swift-R

Swift-R

Aviator

Posted 29 October 2012 - 22:08

Has anyone tried older games on Windows 8? I want to play Call of Duty 2 but it has some problems. I can't adjust the brightness on the game (it's always dark) and the mouse is laggy, hard to aim properly...

Anyone else found these problems? And maybe a fix?

#2 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 30 October 2012 - 00:21

Has anyone tried older games on Windows 8? I want to play Call of Duty 2 but it has some problems. I can't adjust the brightness on the game (it's always dark) and the mouse is laggy, hard to aim properly...

Hey man, did you do a clean Windows 8 Install or did you upgrade with the same files/drivers? If you just upgraded then I suggest you go and check out the latest drivers, if that doesn't help then change the compatibility settings to XP and run as admin :) Let me know how you go!

#3 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:01

Call of Duty 2 gave me problems on Windows 7, were you able to play it on Windows 7?

#4 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:03

NTcompatible is the go to site for checking if other people have issues, and yeah check for Windows 7 as well (win8 being too new and app compatibility is likely to be very similar.)

#5 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:05

I can't seem to play Dirt Showdown. Crashes on launch in Windows 8 using Steam. Not even a splash screen!

#6 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:06

I've gotten Thief 2 to run on my pc.

#7 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Neowinian Antique

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:07

Call of Duty 2: Ahh the memories! I loved that game, played multiplayer via LAN no telling how much of my life was wasted away playing that! Going to have to dig my disc out and give it a try on 8...that is, if I can ever get 8. Budget wise, anyway. (I'm sure I'll eventually get it somehow...LEGALLY that is, I don't pirate)

#8 OP Swift-R

Swift-R

Aviator

Posted 06 November 2012 - 16:48

I could run Call of Duty 2 on Windows 7 just fine, I mean, I am right now just have to run it as admin and in XP SP3 compatibility mode. Went back to 7 until I find a fix for 8.
On Windows 8 I also tried to run as Administrator and XP SP3 compatibility mode but still doesn't work.

I used the Microsoft's upgrade program to install Windows 8 and I have selected the option to "format", leave none of my content.
Had a fresh Windows 8 Release Preview before and the it was the same, thought that with the final release they would have fixed it because on the Consumer Preview it was fine...

#9 OP Swift-R

Swift-R

Aviator

Posted 10 November 2012 - 17:25

I found out that the game on Single Player works fine. The problem is in Multiplayer only.

Here's a microsoft post:

http://answers.micro...54-b541e2f0d9d5

No one?

#10 aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:17

might take a while to update the compatibility for a lot of our older games.

#11 OP Swift-R

Swift-R

Aviator

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:41

Well, found out that by running the game as Administrator and without any compatibility mode it works 100%. Just takes more time to open.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!