Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

9 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte

The Nexus 4 is an impressive smartphone that ticks off every modern spec checkbox you could ask for, save one: LTE. Instead, the Nexus 4 will only come unlocked with HSPA+ radios. It is a disappointing omission, driven by both Google's complex philosophical desire to build open devices as well as the fairly simple economics of building a halo product for a small niche of early adopters.

For Google, Nexus is a flagship brand that represents the best of Android, with Google leading by example to show other hardware manufacturers what Android can be. And though partners build the hardware, Google wants direct control of the software on Nexus devices with no carrier intervention. That alone means Google can't sell an LTE device, as there's simply no access to LTE networks without working with carriers in one way or another: Verizon and Sprint's LTE networks still require compatibility with their 3G CDMA systems, and there's essentially no such thing as an unlocked CDMA device. AT&T's fledgling LTE network runs on different frequencies than other LTE networks around the world, so Google would have to build a custom phone for just 77 markets in the US. Doing that without AT&T's financial assistance makes little sense.

Android head Andy Rubin calls the lack of LTE a "tactical issue," and cites cost and battery life as major concerns with devices that have to support multiple radios. "A lot of the networks that have deployed LTE haven't scaled completely yet

1 person likes this

Posted

Makes sense.

Posted

Wake me up when I can have a phone with LTE that works in more than 2 continents.

Posted

The Nexus 4 has one big disadvantage out of the gate.....it's made by LG, one of the worst manufactures in the world. I would have to think long and hard (and read plenty of positive reviews) before I would buy one.

Posted

The Nexus 4 has one big disadvantage out of the gate.....it's made by LG, one of the worst manufactures in the world. I would have to think long and hard (and read plenty of positive reviews) before I would buy one.

which is sad because LG used to make great dumb phones

which is kinda ironic actually because it used to be Samsung that got bashed for having crappy phones in the dumb phone age :rofl:

anyway, from all the specs and news about the Nexus 4, for whatever reason the Galaxy Nexus still sounds more appealing :/

Posted

Is this for all the new Nexus devices? Or just the one LG is releasing?

Posted

Is this for all the new Nexus devices? Or just the one LG is releasing?

the one LG is releasing will be called the Nexus 4 to go along with googles new naming scheme of their devices (4", 7", 10")

Posted

I would love to see a Sony nexus ...

Posted

google wouldn't put all their weight behind a crappy phone, its their flagship device. LG may have in the past made some not so great things, but if they want to work with google on this they wont get away with it.